PDA

View Full Version : Racing ATV's or Motorcycles...what is safer??

jhoppa
09-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Okay, I was reading on another post that DNR did not allow ATV youth races because they thought it was too dangerous. I guess, they figure kids are more likely NOT to get hurt on motorcycles.

Who beleives this???

IMO- This is my first year racing ATV's. Grew up on motorcycles, but never raced. I have been tempted to get a motorcycle, but nervous that I would get the itch to ride TOO fast, and end up in a tree and hurt myself more than a ATV.

I also think an ATV is much more difficult to ride FAST, than a motorcycle. ATV's are getting bumps from 4 wheels while motorcycles get bumps from 2 wheels.

Have a lot of people been hurt by ATV's rolling over on them? I know a lot of people use this as an excuse not to ride ATV's. A 200lb motorcycle feels better than a 400lb ATV when it lands on your back.

Interested in your comments...

markk
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
I honestly have always felt safer on quads than bikes. There really isn't to much danger in either one of the two off-road vehicles. People just have to know there limits and limatations and ride using there head.

I feel safer on a quad, but a bike is alot more forgiving on the rider in most cases.

Im also intrested in this thread!

WORCSYFZ199
09-28-2005, 11:23 PM
I think in general a quad is less likely to crash because of the better stability and not having to concentrate on the balance as much, but on the other hand when one crashes on a quad it is usually more painful or violent considering the size of the machine crushing you so I think quads are safer to ride, bikes are more forgiving in crashes and hard landings.

baker250r
09-29-2005, 10:20 AM
quads are safe for when ur on the ground.... but id rather jump a bike than a quad anyday. a bike u dont have to have a exactly square landing, and a square takeoff. bikes u can land not so center... but when u land a quad a little cockeyed, hold on for the ride, them 4 wheels all do alot of bouncing.

shep
09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
:bandit: They are both unsafe ,thats why im selling everything and taking up shuffle board!!:confused: :rolleyes: :D

XCRACER26
09-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by WORCSYFZ199
I think in general a quad is less likely to crash because of the better stability and not having to concentrate on the balance as much, but on the other hand when one crashes on a quad it is usually more painful or violent considering the size of the machine crushing you so I think quads are safer to ride, bikes are more forgiving in crashes and hard landings.

i'm with him

markk
09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by shep
:bandit: They are both unsafe ,thats why im selling everything and taking up shuffle board!!:confused: :rolleyes: :D

LMAO-ROTF This from a man that had raced a PRO CLASS!!!!!
WHATS THIS WORLD COMING TOO LOL!!!!!

Vtr_Racing
09-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Where all your safety gear and you will be as safe as your gonna get. Riding either can be dangerous so protect yourself. Dont become a statistic. There are many groups that dont like what we do.

bradley300
09-30-2005, 07:04 AM
watching the gncc's on tv ive decided bikes are probably a little more dangerous. the pro bike guys seem to go down quite a bit more the the quad guys

jhoppa
09-30-2005, 10:00 AM
I guess we can answer this question real quick if we had some statitics from emergency rooms, etc.

If they even record that kind of data...

shep
09-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by markk
LMAO-ROTF This from a man that had raced a PRO CLASS!!!!!
WHATS THIS WORLD COMING TOO LOL!!!!! :bandit: raced pro for several years and still do sometimes!!lol.........and yes the emergency room records atv and bike accedents !!!

baker250r
09-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by shep
:bandit: raced pro for several years and still do sometimes!!lol.........and yes the emergency room records atv and bike accedents !!!

but thats not entirely accurate.... most people try not to report if its an atv related accident..... cuz usually insurance will no cover it.... i know i didnt say i was 4wheelin when i shattered my wrist