PDA

View Full Version : kenda klaw xc+snow=good?

ny300exrider
09-28-2005, 05:02 PM
i need a set of 20in rear tires to mount onto stock rims for the winter. around here riding in the snow is big and i need a tire thatll work ok. the xc klaws seem nice because they are 6ply and thats a plus because i have the tendancy to run things over, and i like how they can be flipped for better grip in the snow. with the tires turned around for loose terrain, how do you think the klaws will work in snow ranging from 2-8 or so inches packed and loose

thanks

fast rusty
09-28-2005, 05:20 PM
living on long island i know the snow situation pretty good. and in my opion i think that may be a rounder tire works better. this is becouse the tire floats over the snow. also you may want to try a tire a little larger then 20 inch more like 21. sand paddles use the same idea few are flat most are round as well and bigger then 20 inch. this is just to jive better float. i think klaws might get you stuck a little more then another tire. just my .2

fast rusty
09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
living on long island i know the snow situation pretty good. and in my opion i think that may be a rounder tire works better. this is becouse the tire floats over the snow. also you may want to try a tire a little larger then 20 inch more like 21. sand paddles use the same idea few are flat most are round as well and bigger then 20 inch. this is just to jive better float. i think klaws might get you stuck a little more then another tire. just my .2 also remember over 5 inches is a state of emergency Wink Wink riding with out gettin in trouble

ny300exrider
09-28-2005, 07:30 PM
thanks alot for the reply, that was actually really useful. i was thinking of trying these out since im going to be mainly riding in the snow anyway. (22inch)
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2908/tziptire5zc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

tell me those would not RIP on the snow covered roads.

i can always sell them if i decide i dont want them after the season since they can be used for drag racing too.

by the way, what town do you live in. im out in calverton/riverhead and we wait all year for it to snow. town turns into one big playground man do i love it since theres nowhere else to go all year

edit-ive been reading the almanics and it looks like were gonna get a snowy winter :):)

fast rusty
09-28-2005, 08:10 PM
those tires look good for the snow. i use to live in riverhead right behind the high school. know i live in west hampton. you ever ride that pit by the dog shelter and dumps. i wanted to for a long time but just heared to many storys about impounding.

ny300exrider
09-28-2005, 08:16 PM
no shi*t, my good friend tom used to live behind the school too on telephone street or something like that. what kind of quad do you have im wondering if ive ever seen you. i live less than a minute from that pit. i used to ride there when i got my first quad 3 years ago up until last year when the cops found out about it. i havnt been there in a long time because they blocked all of the entrances with logs and impounded like mad. it was definitly a cool place to ride but like everywhere else its done now. im thinking about going there on a random weekday and hoping nothing happens but i dont know if its worth the risk

fast rusty
09-28-2005, 08:30 PM
i use to live on merrets pond do you ever ride in the farm feilds over there. you know the ones with the crazy farmer that chases you on another quad. my brother is good freinds with chris lara you kwow him he live some where by you and his brother always rode that pit i think.

ny300exrider
09-28-2005, 08:34 PM
dont know merrets pond but im pretty sure i know a kid with the last name lara, he looked at my 300ex when i was selling it awhile ago. only place i ride is the powerlines by my house because i got permission from the farmer. cool guy and they are all snowmobilers so they are cool to me

do you have a quad?

fast rusty
09-28-2005, 08:43 PM
yeah i got a blater fingers crossed a 250r soon just have to find one. i bet the kids older brother that looked at your ex by the way whats your name mines will i bet i know you some how what grade are you in.

buildinitnow
09-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Those zipper's work great. That was originally designed by pro wedge i believe. I had a set of those for two years and wow, with a four stroke motor you can just about go anywhere. The depth of snow doesn't matter to much. With alot of momentum you can go up hills that sportsman 700's can even make up in 4x4. I know from experience and have made money on bets with this settup on my yfz. They work so awesome, i would recommend them to anyone.

cdalejef
09-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Stock 300ex tires work great in the snow too.

ny300exrider
09-29-2005, 12:33 PM
wow now thats what i want to hear, thanks for the info buildinitnow. i think im set on these, might as well try them out they seem like they will be awsome.

im in 11th grade at riverhead my name is eric. you probly wont know me. did you used to live in a court that backed up to the high school track, for some reason i thought a kid named will used to live over there but im not sure.

fast rusty
09-29-2005, 06:23 PM
yeah that wasprobly me by the way how do you like thr 450. i use to ride bikes with some kid named eric thats the only eric i can think of thats in 11 grade.

ny300exrider
09-29-2005, 06:35 PM
well ive been riding bmx for like 4 years now so that would probably be me. the 450 is awsome, im definitly happy with it. pm me your last name im trying to think if your the kid im thinking of. did you skateboard?

wheeltrax
09-29-2005, 07:58 PM
i also agree the zippers work great. They are awesome in the snow, and work alright on the ice as well. If you have nerf bars you may have to remove them, i know i had to as the tire expanded and rubbed badly on my nerfs. Other then that, i have not had a problem with the tires. they go through alot of snow.

ny300exrider
09-29-2005, 08:14 PM
shoot i didnt think of that. that could be a problem because i have pro pegs and dont have the stock pegs. looks like i may be looking for 20s again

thanks for that, that would have sucked if i got them and they rubbed

honda92
09-30-2005, 08:00 PM
i rode with zippers all last winter and they never hit my AC nerfs. stock 400ex tires work pretty damn good too on packed snomowbile trails.

ny300exrider
09-30-2005, 08:35 PM
wow this is confusing. how about this- does anyone know if 22inch zippers will hit/rub ac pro pegs on a 450r. if i didnt have to worry about the rubbing issue id get the zippers asap and tear it up but im reluctant. jeff@qs, you said stock 300 tires work well, do you think the stock 300 or stock 400 ex tires would work better.

honda92
09-30-2005, 08:59 PM
stock 450r tires work good too. i never had any experience with the 300ex tires. i rode all winter on 400ex stockers and they did great when the snowmobile trails were groomed. but the zippers help out a lot in the deeper and less packed snow. there is no tire that does it all, for ice you need studded tires and for snow you need a zipper type tire. also look into the maxxis 4-snows or the oshu prowedges. i dont know if it is just me but the AMS zippers seemed to be a cheaper built tire.

wheeltrax
10-01-2005, 12:21 AM
maybe they dont rub on ac pegs but they expand alot when they spin, so they rubbed on my DG nerfs.. other then that they went places ppl with regular tires got stuck

exrider008
12-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
thanks alot for the reply, that was actually really useful. i was thinking of trying these out since im going to be mainly riding in the snow anyway. (22inch)
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2908/tziptire5zc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

tell me those would not RIP on the snow covered roads.

i can always sell them if i decide i dont want them after the season since they can be used for drag racing too.

by the way, what town do you live in. im out in calverton/riverhead and we wait all year for it to snow. town turns into one big playground man do i love it since theres nowhere else to go all year

edit-ive been reading the almanics and it looks like were gonna get a snowy winter :):)

my frind has 4-snows witch are pritty much the same thing and they are awsome in the snow