PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Power

jl300ex
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Lookin for some more power out of the 300.
Any suggestions?

ZeroLogic
09-28-2005, 04:10 PM
what do you have on it ?

is it all stock?

big bore kits give you more power:o

fmf300ex03
09-28-2005, 04:23 PM
i got a good bit out of my pipe and jet kit:D

jl300ex
09-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Bone stock besides a new seat cover....

bwamos
09-29-2005, 08:39 AM
1st)Pipe (full system), Filter, & Rejet

2nd) High Comp. Piston and Cam, rejet again.

3rd) Big Bore, Port, Polish, Oversized Valves, etc....

1 & 2 will make a very noticable difference. On a 300ex, even just the 1st will be very noticable.

When you get a pipe.. you need a full system, the stock header is VERY restrictive.

jl300ex
09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
yah...but thats gotta be pretty expensive right?

bwamos
09-29-2005, 12:20 PM
which part?

1st set is gonna cost between $300-$500
2nd set will cost you about $300
3rd sets gonna cost you about $1500

You're not gonna get more power unless you let it give it more air and fuel. That requires opening up the exhaust and intake restricitons (corking). Pipe + Filter then rejet to add fuel. That's the first place to start, and you will see a significant difference in power.

srfootball50
09-29-2005, 01:16 PM
you dont have to buy all the stuff at one time you can buy some of the cheap stuff first like an airfilter, outerwears airbox cover and if you dont want to spend alot of money on an exhaust right from the start you could get a hmf slip-on or any other slip on you think you would like because all 300ex slip ons will work with a white brothers header to make it a full system later down the road or just buy a full system from the start but make sure you rejet when you put on stuff like that

future 450?
09-30-2005, 06:43 PM
if u do the exhaust jus make sure u dont get a big gun exhaust it really sux i got the big gun full system w.power jets and a filter and my 300 is still slow....im not sure about the new big gun but the old ones suck

ZeroLogic
09-30-2005, 07:36 PM
sparks exaust!

future 450?
09-30-2005, 07:57 PM
i have a quick question has anyone used the big gun and it was bad or is it just mine

ZeroLogic
09-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by future 450?
if u do the exhaust jus make sure u dont get a big gun exhaust it really sux i got the big gun full system w.power jets and a filter and my 300 is still slow....im not sure about the new big gun but the old ones suck

geussing its bad looks bad to:p

Eddiesanders250
09-30-2005, 11:53 PM
if you dont want to go all out with your money go buy the filter first. i reccommend K&N maybe not all of us do but its what i ran with my 300 and i loved it. then buy the pipe and jet kit. its not easy to get the carb out. you have to take off the plastics and the tank to get to it. but that should def. make a noticeable difference. i would say sparks exhaust.

srfootball50
10-01-2005, 06:41 AM
sparks is a very good exhaust but if you like to do wheelies and stick the bar i wouldnt get one because the tip of the exhaust sticks out past the grab bar so unless you want to cut your new pipe i would get a hetrick exhaust it is almost the same thing same price but i dont think it sticks out past the grab bar

fmf300ex03
10-01-2005, 09:42 AM
i have the same prob with my fmf power core 4

Eddiesanders250
10-01-2005, 11:08 PM
yea same with me. i put an fmf power core 4 pipe on my 300 and yes it sticks out past the grab bar. so be careful on the wheelies. keep your foot on the break:)

tom69
10-02-2005, 06:10 PM

what was the old one you had?

tom69
10-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by future 450?
i have a quick question has anyone used the big gun and it was bad or is it just mine

mine is working great

frosti108
10-02-2005, 10:57 PM
yea my sparks sticks out far too but i think its an awesome exhaust. what i did was hacksaw the little tip off and now it doesnt hit anymore.

as for a speedy 300, get the pipe filter port/polish, cam and valve springs and 11:1 piston and youll be happy for a while... and the jet kit of course...

and i dont know what that guy was talking about the carb being hard to work with because its not. plastics come off, easy. tank comes off, even easier. i think the tank is actually only like 2 bolts and the fuel line. then the carb is right there... easy stuff.

bwamos
10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by frosti108
yea my sparks sticks out far too but i think its an awesome exhaust. what i did was hacksaw the little tip off and now it doesnt hit anymore.

I cut the can down a couple inches on mine.. but you could also get the "spark arestor version", it has diffuser plates on it like the e-eseries exhausts. It doesn't come past. Or a grab bar that comes out an extra 2 inches works also.

I love my sparks. Of course it's not the least bit quiet.. lol. I only ride in OHV designated areas away from the populace. You'll piss off a LOT of neighbors with our pipe.

tolson
10-03-2005, 06:04 PM
i dont know why no one brags the w-bros eseries full. i have had that through all my mods up to a 330 fst bore kit. worked great w/just k&n and jetting. works great w/port polish and cam. (except some of the rivets are bad)

future 450?
10-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by tom69

what was the old one you had?

i had the big gun race series full system....its basically the same 04 and older

hondardr4life
10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
bwamos, can you post up a pic of your sparks with the cut can? I might do that to mine. Its kinda like makin it a shorty, which would make it even louder, which is cool with me :cool: .

If you want power out of a 300ex, copy and paste mine and bwamos's sig's and print them out, then buy that stuff. Then you will have a powerful 300ex.

bwamos
10-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
bwamos, can you post up a pic of your sparks with the cut can? I might do that to mine. Its kinda like makin it a shorty, which would make it even louder, which is cool with me :cool: .

If you want power out of a 300ex, copy and paste mine and bwamos's sig's and print them out, then buy that stuff. Then you will have a powerful 300ex.

Aye, I'll see if I can't get a picture of it. It looks exactly the same. Just 2 inches shorter. I trimmed down the back side so I didn't have to jack with the mount.

It may be "louder" measurably, but in actuality it didn't make much difference. If you were to cut 4+ inches off it would be louder for sure. I only cut off what I had too to make it clear.

I still need to grab a 400ex carb and a 350x boot for my 330ex. I'm running stock carb. Great torque.. but I'd like to experiment with the 400ex. Worse case (if I dont like it in the woods) I still use the stock carb for woods and toss on the 400ex one for the dunes. ;)

I have an old Mikuni flat slide carb in the cabinet. I didn't like it. There was no accelerator pump on them when I got it. Not enough throttle response for me. I need to ebay it.