PDA

View Full Version : water pump

baseballplaya23
09-27-2005, 10:38 PM
hey i need to replace my water pump bearings and im wondering what is the easiest way to get them out without takin em to a dealer or whatever?

baseballplaya23
09-28-2005, 03:54 PM
nobody knows how to get the damn bearings out?

XCredrider
09-28-2005, 04:03 PM
just take your right side cover off and then pull the water pump impeller off and then pull the bearing out and replace it. hope this helps..

baseballplaya23
09-28-2005, 04:57 PM
ya pull the bearing out how?

XCredrider
09-28-2005, 09:43 PM
i usually put a socket that is just barely smaller than the circumfrence of the bearing on the end of an extension. Then hit the end of the extension and it should knock it out. Its been a while since ive looked at my water pump and bearing so maybe you cant geet the socket on one side and knock it out but i think you should be able to if you take the impeller off. hope this helps. :ermm:

baseballplaya23
09-29-2005, 12:07 AM
no dude i dont think you can get the impeller out or someting. well atleast i cant figure out how to if it does? :confused:

methyman
09-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Pull clutch cover off, then take water pump cover off, take metak shim off, take impellar off. Tap water pup shaft out from out side in. Using a screw driver pry or get underneath outer seal, metal area. Using a socket the same outside diamter of bearing drive bearing out.

methyman
09-29-2005, 03:06 AM
Heres a picture

baseballplaya23
09-29-2005, 10:16 AM
thanks ya i didnt know the metal shim came off from in front of the impeller. thanks methyman

beerock
09-29-2005, 07:09 PM
i did an impeller how to on here a while ago i think i have it in a note pad file lemme look................................

here:
mechanical seal how to.

I pretty much destroy the mech seal to get it out. I use a pair of needle nose pliers and rip out the seal so I just have the piece of metal in plain site. I then use a pair of wire cutters and begin to hack the metal piece out by twisting the metal so the seal sort of shrinks onto itself. Once the seal is out I pop out the oil seal and use a comparable size socket to pop the old bearing out.

When I install the new bearing (I grease the bearing outer race and case)I use a comparable size socket and press the bearing in till its flush with the case.For the oil seal I use a over size socket and press the seal in till flush with the case. Before I press in the mechanical seal in place. I grease the outer part of the seal and the case area. I then line up the mech seal and press it in as much as I can with my thumb(not much). Once I know it is fairly level I put the pump shaft in.I use the old seal that was on the impeller and push the impeller on the shaft and get the bolt on and tighten it down until it bottoms out. I then loosen it up and add some washers in back of the nut and tighten it down again until the seal is flush.Once that is done I install grease the new seal for the impeller and press it in and then I apply a liberal amount of grease to the mechanical seal and put it all together.

Thats about it!