PDA

View Full Version : F-350 turbo quitting

TRXonly
09-27-2005, 08:35 PM
whats up hey my dad went to utah for a atv jamboree and on the way home the turbo on our 2005 F-350 (6.0 desiel) quit. the gauge red nothin' and the temperature gauge stayed the same. He got out and opened the hood. He couldn't do much because the whole thing is electronic. So he found the turbo, wiggled a couple wires and got back in. He fired it up and the gauge said there was turbo. He got on it and she ran good all the way home.

TRXonly
09-27-2005, 08:37 PM
I need to know if you guys have ever heard any thing about that ??????????????????????

TM426
09-27-2005, 08:39 PM
It cant be a bad turbo. If the turbo siezed the exhaust temp would go through the roof and you yould know. It sounds like a sending issue. I take it your talking about a guage for boost pressure.

smorris
09-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah , the early 6.0 turbos were havin some problems....
They have a variable guide vane deal inside that was giving problems..I think they made some changes to the later models.
It probably cooled down is why it started working again , not because of the wires you wiggled.If it messed up once, it will do it again!Better get it checked out!If its under 100,000 miles the warranty will cover it.

smorris
09-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by TM426
It cant be a bad turbo. If the turbo siezed the exhaust temp would go through the roof and you yould know. It sounds like a sending issue. I take it your talking about a guage for boost pressure. Didnt think about the gauges......
Yeah, hes right, it could be a gauge problem.If the truck was still running fine it WAS NOT a tubo problem..If the turbo quits the truck will smoke black smoke very badly and wont have any power.So, if it was running fine it was not the turbo.

TM426
09-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Sorry, I didnt see you were talking about the temp guage. Its probably just a wire issue then. I had a 97 powerstroke. I did a banks turbo and other work to it myself. There isnt much too a turbo and they havent changed much.

Chef
09-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by smorris
Didnt think about the gauges......
Yeah, hes right, it could be a gauge problem.If the truck was still running fine it WAS NOT a tubo problem..If the turbo quits the truck will smoke black smoke very badly and wont have any power.So, if it was running fine it was not the turbo.

This is very true...its what ours did. The predator kinda burned it up with all 40 lbs of boost...lmao

smorris
09-27-2005, 08:53 PM
The new 6.0 powerstrokes have a variable guide vane inlet on the exhaust side..Its supposed to make it respond quick like a small turbo and still make big power on the top end...
They have a lot of smaller moving parts on them compared to ther older standard turbos.I think they worked out the bugs by now, but the early model 6.0 's had issues.(of course so did the duramax's )----had to throw in that part for all those chevy fans!!
lol

kicken250x
09-27-2005, 08:56 PM
you prob have an electronic boost gauge...they suck from my expirence...... go get an autometer mechanical one. everyone i know with electro ones hate them

Punk'd
09-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Was it slow to shift and was there black smoke comeing out of the exhaust? And when it went out did it make a loud "pop"?

Chef
09-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Once it blew mass sparks out of the exhaust right as it spun the tires across the highway...and it was really sluggish and the whole world behind you would turn black when it finally cleaned out...kinda wild. Great for when there was a little honda with a big plastic wing on it behind you with the windows down though! :cool: