PDA

View Full Version : oversize oil tank?

06-12-2002, 08:39 PM
i was also wondering about the oversize oil tank that several companies make. is this even a logical idea? every picture ive seen of the tank looks like it is 1/8" ,if not touching the head pipe. seems to me if its that close to the pipe wouldnt the pipe heat the oil up that much more. if anyone has one of these please let me know how it works. thanks.

zuLi0
06-12-2002, 10:22 PM
I dont personally have one but I did notice that as well about the pipe and the oil tank at the track.

However I would still think that the oil will still run cooler. An extra quart means alot. They say that it reduces it like 12 degrees. :huh :huh

yellowrider
06-13-2002, 11:36 AM
Is 12 degrees that much better??

i mean is it worth the money i seen them for sale in a magazine i think for about 200 dollars .... i think

also i think you have a good point cause those pipes carry a whole lot of heat when i am trail riding and get woried about the oil i check it and when i screw the dip stick out i can feel the heat on my hand wihtout even touching it

PsychoDave
06-13-2002, 11:42 AM
I LIKE MY PINGRYS OIL TANK....THE HEADER IS NOT THAT CLOSE TO IT......IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT HEADER HEAT...MAKE A HEAT SHIELD.

I GOT THE BIGGER TANK CAUSE MY QUAD WAS RUNNING HOT IN THE WOODS AND FIGURED $250 NOW OR $2000 LATER. THE PINGERY IS VERY BEEFY AND NICE

yellowrider
06-13-2002, 11:53 AM
so you can notice a big difference since you got you oil tank...

thats cool i will have to look into that and buy scoops that is a good smart investment for me since my rpms are always every where i go..

so does it run cooler now or a whole lot cooler now?

Crowdog
06-13-2002, 09:58 PM
I've got some pictures of a Pingry tank here:
http://www.crowley-offroad.com/pingry_oil_tank.htm

Doesn't show an exact side view. I will try to take another picture to show how close the header is. If I remember, it is probably more like 1/2" - 3/4" away from the pipes.

I added air scoops at the same time. I rode with shorts in the dunes at about 80 degrees and it felt cooler to my legs. Not very scientific, but I feel better with more oil, and more air directed towards my air cooled thumper.....

Jon

FullBore52
06-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Its not that close

deansfastway
06-15-2002, 09:48 AM
Those tanks are trick , If the pipe is too close wrap it in asbestos header sheild it will also help extraction by pulling the heat out if the motor. You should see how close the pipe gets when you put an XR600R motor in that frame (youll see soon) . Scoops are KOOL and cheap.

RED121572
06-15-2002, 12:21 PM
My motors oil temp is running 190 degrees. Ive seen it as high as 210. Ive got an oversized oil tank and air scoups on the way. When the parts are installed and I get some ride time, Ill post a short thread.