PDA

View Full Version : On road atv's

POW 352
09-27-2005, 10:34 AM
thinking of starting a buisness...how many people would be interested in a atv, completely road legal that does maybe 140...the more people interested the beter the possiblity im gunna try and start this buisness

Trevor
09-27-2005, 10:59 AM
bikes with solid rear axles don't handle all that great on pavement they don't like to turn.

POW 352
09-27-2005, 11:38 AM
i never said it would have a solid axle, it will be tt style with a v twin engine and a posi rear end...even though i ride my quad down the road all the time and have no problems with the way it is minus tire wear

KWAD GAWD
09-27-2005, 03:12 PM
You mean you are suddenly going to become an ATV manufacturer? Wow, now that's a business! You must have some good credit!

zeppelin
09-27-2005, 03:19 PM
i think it would be much more practicle for you to mod other production atv's, like a raptor, banshee, ds650, mabe even a 450r or a yfz

450robot
09-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
You mean you are suddenly going to become an ATV manufacturer? Wow, now that's a business! You must have some good credit!

haha yah, hes just a booming company that came out of nowhere with a posi rear ended vtwin, streetlegal quad!, its like rome! it was built in a day!

but serioudly, i seriously dought your gonna pull this off, its a nice dream though

raptorrider686
09-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Hey the guy needs a lil encourgment to get his business going. Im sure he could pull it off. You have to start somewhere

400ex28
09-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by POW 352
i never said it would have a solid axle, it will be tt style with a v twin engine and a posi rear end...even though i ride my quad down the road all the time and have no problems with the way it is minus tire wear

:huh quads have posi rear ends now with the strait axle.

z400roosteR
09-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
:huh quads have posi rear ends now with the strait axle.

Yup

Meanie5470
09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
it wouldnt be an ATV at all now would it lol

And by posi im sure he meant limited slip... Solid axles technically arent posi. Positive traction is a term GM came up with back in the day to title their limited slip systems.

400ex28
09-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Meanie5470

And by posi im sure he meant limited slip... Solid axles technically arent posi. Positive traction is a term GM came up with back in the day to title their limited slip systems.

posi on the road= not good.

Meanie5470
09-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Read what I wrote... a true posi would be good. A solid axle would be bad.

thrasher_ex
09-27-2005, 08:23 PM
yeah man i think this would be a good idea. maybe not so much the whole new quad part, but having a shop that sells kits, sells parts, installs the parts/ kits, sell modded quads for the road, custom work, just basically a shop with anything/everything an on-road quad would need.

09-27-2005, 09:20 PM
almost all states wont allow atv's on the road

tater_kamik
09-27-2005, 10:52 PM
big problem with this bro...

look at your market, atv's. pretty big market. now lets narrow it down

people who drop serious money into an quad, not all that many

people who want to make it street legal, not many at all

states you can do this very few

people who actually would do this and spend the money, almost none

i dont want to burst your bubble bro, but from a business stand point, it doesnt seem like a good idea

development costs for a quality product would be outrageous! but, if you built an business that sold and modified atv's for everything, and did drag atv's, you may be able to do some business there, but it will be more than tough

09-27-2005, 11:26 PM

it isnt to bad.... just as long as you dont turn.

my quad really doesent handle bad at all going doun pavment. wfo and I cut it raight around corners in the 30 mph zone.. still on my side of the road,,, and can see cleerly around the corner with plenty of time to react.

the only times it doesent turn is when I really mash it. lol, then it obviously wouldnet turn because the front tires are in the air.

tim colston
09-28-2005, 06:25 AM
Leave the kid alone he is has an idea let him run with it. May not be the most practicle thing going, but it is an idea.

Ripitupfilms
09-28-2005, 07:38 AM
you also could use a LEM

smr
09-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by 450robot
haha yah, hes just a booming company that came out of nowhere with a posi rear ended vtwin, streetlegal quad!, its like rome! it was built in a day!

but serioudly, i seriously dought your gonna pull this off, its a nice dream though

something like this was said to the guy that invented bottled water.

Invent your street legal quad and then present it to potential investers. If you want so cheep help talk to some college kids majoring in mechanical eng.

good luck

derekhonda
09-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by smr
something like this was said to the guy that invented bottled water.

Invent your street legal quad and then present it to potential investers. If you want so cheep help talk to some college kids majoring in mechanical eng.

good luck

I invented bottle water back in the 30's.

BAWB
09-28-2005, 09:14 AM
A good idea is to probably start with the congressmen in your district. Seeing how ATV's aren't allowed on the roads legally in Ohio. Just a suggestion. I have emailed my congressmen regarding the high fuel costs, poor fuel efficiency in my automobile and that I would be willing to make my quad street legal (lights, turn signals, horn speedo, etc, etc.) I haven't heard anything back from it yet. If I were you I would stick to the fuel effieiency issue it seems to be a pretty hot topic now and what a better way to save a few gallons of fuel riding my quad to work...as compared to a 350 v-8.
Maybe we can start some sort of petition I will be willing to sign it if fellow Ohioans are willing to do some of the legwork. pm me if anything ever comes of this- I dont check the forums too much these days.

GIXXERGUY6
03-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by BAWB
A good idea is to probably start with the congressmen in your district. Seeing how ATV's aren't allowed on the roads legally in Ohio. Just a suggestion. I have emailed my congressmen regarding the high fuel costs, poor fuel efficiency in my automobile and that I would be willing to make my quad street legal (lights, turn signals, horn speedo, etc, etc.) I haven't heard anything back from it yet. If I were you I would stick to the fuel effieiency issue it seems to be a pretty hot topic now and what a better way to save a few gallons of fuel riding my quad to work...as compared to a 350 v-8.
Maybe we can start some sort of petition I will be willing to sign it if fellow Ohioans are willing to do some of the legwork. pm me if anything ever comes of this- I dont check the forums too much these days.

ok here are some things to ponder.

in order to get a quad anywhere near legal, it needs to have street tires(dot for street use), head, tail/brake light( don't know if the current ones will work, they won't if they aren't dot approved), mirror, and turn signals, now if you want to do this you'll need to use like oem motorcycle signals big and gawdy then switch to aftermarket led's after the inspection. the only thing that might hold you back is the fact that motorcycles don't have 4 wheels, so you might have to try to get it reg'd as a homemade buggy or something.

I am going to try to do the same thing with my quad. My buddy used to own a salvage shop here in town(until he moved to FL, and reopened) he gave me some pointers, so we will see.

BTW where in ohio are you from"?

pastfast125
03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by OutCast
Your best bet would be to come up with a differential like this one, but make it smaller and you would have to integrate it with some king of a-arms just like a sandrail. This differential is made to go in a
sandrail that uses a Hayabusa 1300 motor. It also comes with a reverse gear.

http://www.jeffcotransmissions.com/Resources/RD2.gif

Why would he need that? Unless the quad he would be modding didnt already have reverse. I think this is a good business idea, but yea, you have to work on a law that actually allows quads to be made street legel.

Regular_Joe
03-09-2006, 06:26 AM
I think the issue is that the "laws & rules" generally fall into categories. As a 4-wheeled vehicle your subject to most laws that affect cars. You won't ever get past the crash test ratings and such required of a typical car. To get anything like this done will require changing the laws first, then building the ATVs .....

toby400ex
03-09-2006, 10:04 AM
BS, my ranger has a locker in the rear end and its nothing but fun. It makes normal driving no more difficult. Just gotta be easier on the gas on slick roads.

PismoLocal
03-09-2006, 11:06 AM
I would go for it if i was you, there was a guy a couple years ago operateing out of lompoc CA. He bought about 10 quads most yamahas if i remember and used some loop hole in the CA system to make quads street legal but not free way legal. I saw them in our local classified ads but never ended up going to look at them they had turning signals head lights tail light and license plates. I wanted to buy one but he was selling them for like 10k a piece.

killen them all
03-09-2006, 03:51 PM
have fun with this you are going to have to make own frmaes that can with hold a motor that big want be to harb but you will have to make you own motor you could not use a nother comp motor with out there promishen

GIXXERGUY6
03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
unless i can find a loop hole, it ain't happening here as a cycle.

talked to a state trooper and he said that a cycle can only be 2 or 3 wheels. a 4 wheel vehicle is considered a car, and would need full size brakes, bumpers, mirror, and a seat belt.

this sucks. i'll figure it out though.