PDA

View Full Version : racing a stock 400ex

SARPUP
09-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Hey all, I wont start another thread on how to start racing, I think i got that figured out but what I cant seem to get an answer on is this. I want to race in a class for 30+ I have a stock 400ex. Can I upgrade anything I want? If I decide to race a stock class, is there anything I can upgrade? Like exhaust or suspension? Also I think I need new tires, the ones on there are still stock. Can I go to anything I want even in a stock class? thanks for helping me out.

trx400exxracer
09-27-2005, 06:36 AM
well you must be talking about Gncc here goes

you can modifie

tires, wheels, plastic, graphics, i believe you can't get a gripper seat cover,

that is all I can think of now pretty much mostly what you ca modify is bling

The 400ex is definetly no the best quad to race the stock class in

I would just race the 30+ class and modify your quad mabye put shocks, pipe, tires, and other stuff you need you can just start a new thread on that

You should check the parts for sale forum and get aftermarket used parts for cheap there because there gonna end up being used anyway right

SARPUP
09-27-2005, 06:46 AM
OK great thanks for the info. I was thinking of maybe just staying with the 30+ class. Im not as young as I feel or want to be. I have been riding on a local trail around here in Virginia. Just one more quick question though maybe it needs a new thread but lets see. I can jump a little, and control my quad well. But how do you get to where you can run a track and not be scared of the bigger jumps? just practice I guess right. Are most tracks that host races open for practice when not racing on those weekends?

quad2xtreme
09-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Find a smaller local track that has open riding on weekends. In my area, one is www.thelandingmx.com.

You need to tag with a rider there that is making it across the jumps you want to jump. Pace yourself at the same speed and you will be in the ballpark of having enough speed but not too much speed. Don't be a ginea pig - leave this for the younger guys.

Start with tabletop jumps and just drop off the doubles until you know you can make it. Casing a double with the front wheels over the hump where you essentially land on the frame is hard on the ankles.

Suspension, suspension, suspension! The latest in bars is the Flexx bars. This will help soften the blows from jumping too.

If you don't have really good boots then get them.

Good Luck.

SARPUP
09-27-2005, 09:07 AM
OK GREAT!! This is a good start, thanks for the info. I was ordering a pair of boots today as a matter of fact.

trx400exxracer
09-27-2005, 09:19 AM
the most important gear is boots,knee and shin gaurds, chest protector, helmet, goggles, and gloves

you might also want to think about getting some pants and a jersey

Moose racing is having a closeout sell right now and you can e-mail them for prices on closeout items

quad2xtreme
09-27-2005, 10:47 AM
I highly recommend AlpineStars Tech 4 with the ATV tread. Personally, I don't like any of the motorcycle boots with the "fish scale" tread design. It was designed to allow them to put a foot down without the boot digging in. I want my boots to dig into my footpegs as much as possible plus you can walk around easier in the woods.

You want a boot with a metal plate through the soles in case you do land short. :eek2:

Jake250ex
09-30-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but you probably won't stand a chance in stock class in GNCC. Stock class is like the Pro Class of the morning, and are about as fast as A class riders. They are paid huge contengincies by the factories because it makes their bike look really good when they win and its stock, proving their bike is better. I don't think Bill Ballance would fare well on a stock 400ex in GNCC stock class. :(

I would enter like 24-39 (I think that's the ages) C class

SARPUP
10-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Yea I dont think I am anywhere near ready for a stock class, definately be a 30+ rider. Plus I dont think Im going to do the GNCC. Just district 13 for the ama I think it is. Let me get a few years under my belt first then I will think of advancing. If I dont kill myslef first. LOL. I just want something to do every now and then to keep me busy.