PDA

View Full Version : +2 arms on stock shocks?

MoToX199
09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
i want to get +2+1 arms for my dvx but my question is do i need to buy new shocks,right now i have the 06 shocks with the reisvors,but if i get them revalved for the new arms will it work? plz let me know what you think thnx!

jak1389
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
if you revavle the shocks it should work fine. they wont work like anything compared to aftermaket unless you respring with works or tcs springs and revalve and they will be half descent.

400exrider707
09-26-2005, 06:30 PM
For the money you would spend on a respring and revalve you might just as well wait and save some money and get aftermarket shocks

400exMO
09-27-2005, 07:09 AM
they should be fine. Just stiffen them up. if you are broke send them to derisi or find someone who will redo them for you weight.

09-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I rode a z-400 with +2's and stock shocks with the preload clicked up 2 clicks. I weight 220 and it worked fine, just felt like stock but wider.

400exrider707
09-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I dont care how much you turn the shock up its still not going to be right. If you attempt to jump at all you will soon find this out.

09-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Most times you'd be correct. I had the oppertunity to ride a stock z and one with +2's with adjusted preload and there was no noticeable difference because the way they compensated for the added leverage. It was jumped, g'd out and pounded through the whoops and there was little, if any difference I could feel.

400exrider707
09-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by mrbluehair
Most times you'd be correct. I had the oppertunity to ride a stock z and one with +2's with adjusted preload and there was no noticeable difference because the way they compensated for the added leverage. It was jumped, g'd out and pounded through the whoops and there was little, if any difference I could feel.

What exactly does adjusted preload have to do with anything? That doesn't really make the shock any stiffer per say.

09-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Adding preload does to a small extend add a margin of stiffness to the shocks. I didn't set up the quad, the shop that made the arms, asked me to test them and stockers. The shocks used were the non rez stock Suzuki. The big thing was that they found a leverage ratio that helps compensate for the added leverage the arms create.

That said, I would at least order a set of non-rez Elka or TCS set up for the arms/weight/riding style.

400exrider707
09-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by mrbluehair
Adding preload does to a small extend add a margin of stiffness to the shocks. I didn't set up the quad, the shop that made the arms, asked me to test them and stockers. The shocks used were the non rez stock Suzuki. The big thing was that they found a leverage ratio that helps compensate for the added leverage the arms create.

That said, I would at least order a set of non-rez Elka or TCS set up for the arms/weight/riding style.

How did they change leverage at all while still using the same shocks? That dosen't make any sense? I guess they could have moved the mount farther out thus dropping the front end substantially. The preload can not make the shock stiff enough to make up for +2 arms. Its hardly noticable on the same set of stock arms.

09-30-2005, 09:15 AM
I suppose you'd have to have rode it. The only thing I know is that they were the non rebuildable shocks with stock springs. No other adjust the preload 2 clicks, and it had no noticeable change in performance. If I didn't have a stocker to compare it to then I'd be questioning it too.

TBD
09-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
How did they change leverage at all while still using the same shocks? That dosen't make any sense? I guess they could have moved the mount farther out thus dropping the front end substantially. The preload can not make the shock stiff enough to make up for +2 arms. Its hardly noticable on the same set of stock arms.
Not that you need me to tell you your correct but you are. First of all, like you stated, if you move the shock out to change the leverage ratio then you either have to make the shock mount really tall to get the quad back to a good ride hieght or have it set nose down. Also by moving the mount out to correct the leverage ratio would take away from the little travel it already has. Putting more preload into the springs would also affect valving biengs that spring force and valving affect each other.