PDA

View Full Version : HELP: spark plug gap...

reichart90
09-26-2005, 01:27 PM
i bought my quad used with motor work already done (416 kit)... anyway, it really does run great. i think however the throttle response could be a little snappier. maybe its just how the sparks exhaust kackles, but i got thinking maybe a new spark plug and id see a difference. not sure when the last time its been changed. what do u guys recommend. like what brand spark plug and the gapping for it. not sure if the motor upgrades make a difference when it comes to gapping. the valves need adjusted too. it ticks like a mo fo when idleing. i printed out the procedure for that on here and i have went to tackle that problem with doing the adjustment several times but cant seem to bring myself to do it. i dont wanna jack anything up too bad. haha. oh yeah, i use 94 octane gas too by the way. tell me what ya think. its greatly appreciated.
-tim

underpowered
09-26-2005, 01:49 PM
use an NGK plug, DPR9Z will work great. As far as the gap, it is pre-gapped from the factory at .028"/28 thousanths.

aviator4
09-26-2005, 02:24 PM
If it's popping really bad, you may need to look at re-jetting for that pipe. Sounds like the PO just slapped that pipe on and went riding, which means that it's running REALLY lean.

I was running a 156 main Jet on my bike with a K&N, no lid, sparks pipe and a HotCam stage one.

I bet you're gong to need to go up a jet size or two to get it to stop popping.

If you're valves are making a lot of noise, you might ask the P.O. if they've changed the cam. The HotCams series of cams are known for creating a lot of valve noise, if it's still stock ADJUST THEM! don't wait!!! You can actually do damage if they are too far out of spec, not to mention causing performance issues.

Take the time to do it... it's time well spent.

I don't think you're going to see much of an increase in performance from the plug. if you do, it's going to be so small, you'll need a dyno to see it. the DPR9Z is a good plug, but may be a little hot for a stocker, depending on where you ride. the DPR8Z is a cooler version of the same plug.

underpowered
09-26-2005, 02:51 PM
the dpr9z is a good plug, but may be a little hot for a stocker, depending on where you ride. the DPR8Z is a cooler version of the same plug. [/B]

Wrong way, the higher te number the cooler the plug. you run a cooler plug in a modified motor to combat fouling and to help the engine runn slightly cooler. the 8 is hotter than the 9.

aviator4
09-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Right. Sorry, got my numbers backwards, Thanks for the correction.

reichart90
09-26-2005, 08:56 PM
also when i'm running the crap out of it on the track and hit the brakes hard on a sharp turn where the RPMs are up high and then drop down quick when i let off the gas and hit the brakes, it wants to die so if i dont keep on the gas the engine dies and i hafta restart on the fly. somethin tells me this isnt right. its obviously a fuel problem, as in too lean perhaps...

... also about the popping... it doesnt do that. it really does run fine. but it seems like it could respond just slightly better when i hit the throttle quick, like a slight delay in response. it idles fine and is smooth sounding (except for the horrible ticking from the valves, which does go away when the rpms go up). maybe i'll get the balls and tackle the valve adjustment this weekend... after i go riding that is. haha

its probably all in my head. haha. i wouldnt have even noticed it really except a buddy of me jumped on it and took her for a spin but then again he's used to riding a 2stroke blaster.

thanks again, i'd be clueless without your guys' help. i'm fairly new to all of this.

reichart90
09-28-2005, 07:31 AM
bump

i bought my quad used with motor work already done (416 kit)... anyway, it really does run great. i think however the throttle response could be a little snappier. maybe its just how the sparks exhaust kackles, but i got thinking maybe a new spark plug and id see a difference. not sure when the last time its been changed. what do u guys recommend. like what brand spark plug and the gapping for it. not sure if the motor upgrades make a difference when it comes to gapping. the valves need adjusted too. it ticks like a mo fo when idleing. i printed out the procedure for that on here and i have went to tackle that problem with doing the adjustment several times but cant seem to bring myself to do it. i dont wanna jack anything up too bad. haha. oh yeah, i use 94 octane gas too by the way. tell me what ya think. its greatly appreciated.
-tim