PDA

View Full Version : honshee 250r with a banshee engine

#1atpikespeak
09-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Hello I am a pro quad racer in the colorado hill climb association and in my attempt to capture a pikes peak win I have built my own honshee. I used an 86 trx 250r and custom built a yamaha banshee engine into it. Just woundering if anyone else has ever done this. If so please contact me so we can chat about how fast our honshee's are. Sincerely Brady Dimmick #12

wilkin250r
09-26-2005, 01:55 PM
We need pictures!!!

confederate250R
09-26-2005, 02:11 PM
YES, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME PICS OF THAT ONE.

TheFontMaster
09-26-2005, 05:20 PM
This quad isn't mine, it's owners user name is number22, It is in the Quad of the Month this month. It is a leager pr trax 250r geometry frame designed to fit a banshee motor. There are a couple more pics and a mods list in the QOTM entry thread if you want to look em up.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/Gone_Snowboarding/Pic_2.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/Gone_Snowboarding/Pic_1.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/Gone_Snowboarding/Pic_3.jpg

methyman
09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
That is the only way a Banshee is going to handle like a TRX250R.

86-250Rnut
09-26-2005, 07:38 PM
That thing is fricken awsome. i want 1!
Mitch:macho

BLACKeR
09-26-2005, 08:03 PM
if i ever get the money to build one of those im doing it! i used to have a banshee and the thing was a blast to ride, but the handling was average at best, one of those 250R geometry banshees would be fun fun fun!!! although the engine would still be a handful.....

wilkin250r
09-27-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm wondering just how much like a 250R these hybrids are.

As far as I know, they use 250r suspension components, like A-arms, swingarms, shocks, ect. This gives a marked improvement over stock banshee suspension.

But what about the other aspects of ergonomics and handling?

Seat height? I know my 250r seat height ain't nearly as tall as the ones shown in these pictures.

Handlebar height? Footpeg location? Distance from the handlebars to the middle of the seat? How about the normal rider location with respect to the wheelbase? If you are fowards or backwards from where you would normally be on a 250r, then it will change your weight bias and suspension characteristics.

Really, it's these questions that have really kept be from building one of these things...

rebelbanshee
09-27-2005, 02:12 PM
good point there. The Banshees ergos are not as ideal as a 250rs for aggressive riding, Im curious about the weight bias. Banshee are waayyyy nose heavy.

Weight bias is probably most important and ergos arnt terrible and can be fixed, except for the seat

TheFontMaster
09-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Well here's #1atpikespeak's beast.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/Gone_Snowboarding/Honshee.jpg

BLACKeR
09-27-2005, 08:38 PM
from what i see and understand from what hes said, he put the banshee engine in the 250R chassis, so i would think many of the ergos and weight bias issues of the banshee would be fixed. the thing youll never be able to fix is the extra weight of the twin cylinder banshee engine, but is seems like if it was mounted in a position similar to the R motor on the R frame it would feel similar. seat position and ergos should be unchanged if its a stock R frame.

Mxjunkie
09-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by rebelbanshee
good point there. The Banshees ergos are not as ideal as a 250rs for aggressive riding, Im curious about the weight bias. Banshee are waayyyy nose heavy.

Weight bias is probably most important and ergos arnt terrible and can be fixed, except for the seat

I've never noticed my shee nose diving or being "nose" heavy :confused:

punker69q
09-28-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I've never noticed my shee nose diving or being "nose" heavy :confused:

Maybe because you never rode a properly built 250r. One of my riding buddy got a banshee and when I ride with him we sometimes switch bike and the banshee just feel horrible. Even my 300ex feel better than the banshee.

#1atpikespeak
09-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Now that i have a second hear is a short run down of what I have done.
american star racing +3+1 a arms
-2 lonestar swingarm
hoosier tires usually
douglas wheel
rath racing anti sway bar
arens steering stem
on my 86 frame using the stock motor mount as a starting point
my motor is actually a 1985 rz 350 street bike engine
this gives you a shorter ratio tranny
2000 banshee cylinders ported
stock reed cages with carbon fiber reeds
The trick to my creation is in the intake and exhaust
I run the trinity 1 into 2 intake and a 38.5 pwm carb
the other trick is the dynoport 2 into 1 exhaust
Of course none of this stuff fits without drastic modification to the exhaust and home made motor mounts. But I have left the stock frame geometry alone. The only mods to the frame are removel of the old radiator and motor mounts as well as moving the cross member that is usually between the upper a arm in the rear and moving it 3 inches forward to allow the dyno port exhaust chamber to clear without hitting. I have also welded a bar in permanent were the head stay was. This will give you an idea of what I did and let me tell you it works. I finished 6th out of 31 riders in this my first year with this bike and it is still a 350. If you got a 250r I can out run you on the straights and if you ride a banshee I will smoke you in the corners. It is the ultimate bike and I am the only one how has one like this. I am currently working on putting a trinity 472cc power valve motor together for next year. If you get a chance visit the web site www.vegasatvmx.com to see an upcoming event in nevada were I will be racing super moto. And to those how are woundering if it vibrates the welds apart, the answer is no I used the stock lower rubber mounts with a new crossmember as well as the other rubber mounts on the motor. She is as smooth as when it was in the banshee frame. Take tha cr 500 conversion lovers.

wilkin250r
09-28-2005, 10:23 AM
I like it.

Is the radiator out in FRONT of the shocks? I don't know if I'm too keen on that aspect, but other than that little detail, this thing looks awesome. I'm half tempted to drive down to Vegas (6 hrs) just for the chance to kick her over...

Mxjunkie
09-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by punker69q
Maybe because you never rode a properly built 250r. One of my riding buddy got a banshee and when I ride with him we sometimes switch bike and the banshee just feel horrible. Even my 300ex feel better than the banshee.

I ride a full roll design 330r with houser/axis etc now and then at work..

Banshee still doesnt feel nose heavy to me anyways..

sandspanker
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
:D I would love to race at PIKES PEAK. Dude I would have PERMA WOOD FOR A MONTH.:D

Adam Bogedain
09-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Awsome quad. I'm actualy working on doing my spare Kawasaki Tecate 4 roller with a Banshee motor and the frame geometry will be changed to 250R. Do you have anymore picts you could email me at (ftgracing@yahoo.com) to see how you worked with some issues in the conversion, thanks.