PDA

View Full Version : Alot more questions!!!!

redneck2725
09-26-2005, 09:30 AM
1) Are any of the little billet pieces worth anything. Like the throttle cable cover, etc??

2) What is a case saver??? Should i get one??

3)How many teeth are on a stock 400EX sprocket???

4)If you don't ride dunes, are flags even worth it??

5)What does the e-brake block off plate do??? Are they a + or -??

6) What kind od PSI should i run in the stock front tires???

7)What setting should the stock rear shock be on???

8) Which spark plug and gap will equal the best overall performance??

9) Should i rejet now, or wait til i get some mods???

Thanks for any help, i'm really new to the sport quad world. I know probably too much about the 4x4s, but nothing about speed. I'll have 20 more questions before i finish tying this.

300exOH
09-26-2005, 10:14 AM
1. The billet stuff is mainly for looks.
2.A case save is waht protects the engine cases from the chain. You should have one on a stock 400ex. I think there are better ones available though the aftermarket.
3.stock gearing is 15f/38r
4.Flags are a pain in the woods and most guys don't use them anywhere but the dunes.
5. e-brake block off plate allows you to remove the stock ebrake cable which causes premature pad wear.
6. Probably around 4.5 psi
7.Can't really help on this one:ermm:
8.or this one
9. You shouldn't need to rejet unless you have mods or modded any stock parts

A search for most of these subjects should help you find any more info you need.

underpowered
09-26-2005, 12:01 PM
1) Are any of the little billet pieces worth anything. Like the throttle cable cover, etc?? Not worth it unless you want it too look good

2) What is a case saver??? Should i get one?? protects engine incase chain breaks or comes off. Definitally get one, i have an aftermarket on that is billet

3)How many teeth are on a stock 400EX sprocket??? Front=15, rear=38 on 99-04, 05-06 Front is 14

4)If you don't ride dunes, are flags even worth it?? more of a hassle than anything

5)What does the e-brake block off plate do??? Are they a + or -?? they are a +, saves weight, gets rid of e-brake that usually doesnt work anyway

6) What kind od PSI should i run in the stock front tires??? I ran 7, but it depends on the rider and conditions

7)What setting should the stock rear shock be on??? Really depends on rider and type of riding.

8) Which spark plug and gap will equal the best overall performance?? Once agian depends on riding type. I run an NGK plug, it is a DPR9Z. better for hard riding/racing. general trail riding use a DPR8Z.

9) Should i rejet now, or wait til i get some mods??? You can rejet now and will notice some difference, but you will have to do it again when you add mods.

redneck2725
09-26-2005, 12:14 PM
underpowered>>> I think you are my new savior. Thanks for the help again. I'm not a little guy, close to 250lbs. I really don't think i'll be racing anytime soon. So i'm looking for more trail modifications.

I think i might the case saver and block off plate. Any specific brand to look for, or are they pretty much the same??? If i get a filter for now, what jet should i change to, and what i the stock jet???

Thanks again guys. This site has been very helpful so far:chinese:

underpowered
09-26-2005, 02:05 PM
the block off plates are pretty much all the same design so brand doesnt really matter. same for the casesaver.
The filter depends. a K&N will definitally require jetting, go up a size or two on teh main
An Uni can be done without jetting, but you can go up one size with it if you want.

The stock jetting on a 400 is 142 main and 38 pilot.

400exrider26
09-26-2005, 02:37 PM
In the manuel for the 400ex the stock tires are supposed to be ran with 4 psi of pressure, 4.5 maximum, 3.5 minimum. the e- brake block off plate saves weight and reduces brake pad wear. i would get some aftermarket stuff like a pipe and filter combo and then jet from there... I would also get a thick swingarm skidplate for riding in the woods...

oh, and for woods riding get a foam filter like uni because of the water and mud. k&ns do not filter as good as a uni in these conditions.

redneck2725
09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider26
In the manuel for the 400ex the stock tires are supposed to be ran with 4 psi of pressure, 4.5 maximum, 3.5 minimum. the e- brake block off plate saves weight and reduces brake pad wear. i would get some aftermarket stuff like a pipe and filter combo and then jet from there... I would also get a thick swingarm skidplate for riding in the woods...

oh, and for woods riding get a foam filter like uni because of the water and mud. k&ns do not filter as good as a uni in these conditions.

I already got the PRM swingarm plate and really like it. I should be getting a UNI this week, and hopefully that block off plate. Thanks for the help

TakinItEasy
09-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
the block off plates are pretty much all the same design so brand doesnt really matter. same for the casesaver.
The filter depends. a K&N will definitally require jetting, go up a size or two on teh main
An Uni can be done without jetting, but you can go up one size with it if you want.

hey man i got a K&N filter on my 400. wut size jet should i upgrade too? im a noob and dont really race much, just trail ride. also can u explain jetting? thanks

redneck2725
09-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I just ordered my Lonestar e-Brake block off plate!! Time to check out the case savers

underpowered
09-27-2005, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by TakinItEasy
hey man i got a K&N filter on my 400. wut size jet should i upgrade too? im a noob and dont really race much, just trail ride. also can u explain jetting? thanks

If the jetting is stock, i wouls say go up 1 size to a 145 MJ with teh airbox lid on, go up to a 148 with the lid off.

Jettings is any easy concept to understand, but hard to get a grasp on how to do it. By addign aftermarket parts to your quad like a pipe, airfilter, ect.. you are letting more air in and out of your engine. In order for your bike to run corectly the air fuel ratio must stay within a certain window. To compensate for the increased airflow, you must also increase the amout of fuel going into the engine as well. by adding a K&N filter, you are letting more air in due to the increased flow rate of the filter over stock. You must increase your jet size to add more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio in the desired range. You can check your jetting by doing a plug check. install a new spark plun in your bike, let it warm to operating temp, then do some wide open runs in a field or open space. Then pull the plug, a Tan color is what you are looking for. if it is white, you need to richen up your jetting, if it is black you need to lean it out. To richen your jetting add a larger jet or move the needle clip down, to lean it out install a smaller jet or raise the needle clip.

400exc
09-27-2005, 06:09 AM
i put 11 psi in my front, and 6 in the back

JOEX
09-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by underpowered

Stock Main Jet is 148!