PDA

View Full Version : 400ex works, 450r, or elka fronts

maxamillion
09-25-2005, 12:01 PM
I have lots of questions about front shocks for my 400ex. After riding my bros 06 yfz, i realized how horrible my fronts are. When i stand on my front bumper and rock up and down, it feels like im on a pogo stick. When i lift the front of his yfz up and let it drop down, the shocks just stick to the ground, where my 400ex acts like it wants to bounce back up. Im on a budget. I wouldnt mind lowering my rear some either w/ a GT thunder revalve and link but i could live without it. Here is what i would consider.
-Used Stock 450r fronts and GT thunder rear revalve.
-New Works triple rates w/ rezzies, leave rear shock alone.
-New Elka econonmy fronts, leave rear shock alone.
I ride agressive trails and hit the track once or twice a year but do not race. I want my tires to stay planted on the ground over the rougher stuff and not bounce everywhere. Ive kinda ruled out the elka fronts becuase they are SSD and i wouldnt have enough money to match the rear. What are your opinoins?

Thanks

BLACKeR
09-25-2005, 06:15 PM
buy a set of elkas without ressies. unless you ride hard for a long time you wont need the ressies. my bro had a banshee with elkas W/O ressies and it was no problem, i think the elkas cost $450, and the rear cost $200 to rebuild, it was a very nice suspention for $650. it would perform much better than works with ressies, and probly better than the 450R shocks, and by the time you buy the 450R shocks and valve them for your specs, its probly going to cost the same. and the SSD will be worth the little bit extra it may cost, you can corner like your on rails with a ZPS set up.

sampleez
09-25-2005, 06:16 PM
i'd get the elka's, then save up and get the rear redone.

maxamillion
09-26-2005, 05:38 AM
So would the Elka SSD fronts work well with the GT thunder rear rebuild and link? Ive heard mixed reviews about the Elka SSD rear rebuilds.

400exrider707
09-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I have an elka rear ssd rebuild and love it. I also have elka econos on the front. very nice setup for a budget. If you do get the elka recs on front your going to want to do something with the rear because ZPS on the front and nothing on the rear will not handle correctly.