PDA

View Full Version : couple of newbie questions

TakinItEasy
09-25-2005, 08:52 AM
hey guys. got an 02 400 ex and the tires are shot and the rear brakes are worn. so can anyone walk me through how to change the rear brake pads? that would be great. also my tires need replacin. do i need to take the wheels and tires to a shop to have them replaced or can i do it miyself with just hand tools? oh yeah also i broke the long bolt that holds the oil filter cap on. i did this over the summer. since i didnt really know how to get the snapped piece out, i just tapped some new threads and put a bigger bolt in there to hold it in place for a while. well now i want to get the snapped piece out cause i might sell the quad soon. any ideas how to get it out? thanks guys.

TakinItEasy
09-25-2005, 07:01 PM
please help guys! i know these noob questions suck but i need help

DaleJrFan
09-25-2005, 07:08 PM
For the tire- you can do it your self with the proper hand tools.

For the brakes- it is pretty simple but I would not be the best to describe it on-line. Start by taking the caliper off and from there is pretty self-explanatory. Remembe to bleed the brakes when your done.

For the broke bolt- depending on where it snapped of at, you can get a ease-out and remove whats left of it or drill it out and re-tap the hole very carefully.

Good Luck!

JOEX
09-25-2005, 07:34 PM
If the tires are original they are sometimes very difficult to remove. You might need to take them to a shop with a powered bead breaker.

A repair manual will discribe how to replace the brakes and many other things. A very worthwhile investment, it will pay for itself very quickly. You shouldn't need to bleed the brakes if you're just changing the pads.

TakinItEasy
09-25-2005, 08:22 PM
yeah im just changing the pads. is the caliper kinda like a car brake caliper with a piston? thanks for the info guys.

JOEX
09-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by TakinItEasy
yeah im just changing the pads. is the caliper kinda like a car brake caliper with a piston? thanks for the info guys.
As ar as I remember but that's not saying much:p Yea, it's a caliper with a piston, compress it with a c-clamp.

There is a shim on the piston side pad that need to be used, I don't remember if it is recommended to replace it or not, I haven't. If it's not there the pads will wear unevenly and sooner.