PDA

View Full Version : need some advice.

lonestar13r
09-25-2005, 06:07 AM
My 400ex is not starting with the e-button.....i have to push start it every where i go. so heres what i have... I push my e button and all you hear is the starter turning , as if you had it sitting on a bench testing it,,, sounds like that, wont turn my motor over at all..... I pulled my starter out and the spilnes on it seem to be ok. , all the external gears seam to be ok,,,, but i'm thinking its somthing inside,, starter clutch?? i'v never had to deal with one of them, i'm stumped on that , if some one could just tell me if they think thats what it is as we'll befor i buy it, that would be great. I'm rebuilding the whole quad in a few weeks and trying to scrunge up all my parts, so thanks for any help guys. -Ethan .....

ps.... is it just me or every time you click "open fourm" an avitar comes up with girls ..ta-ta's bouncing, it was some kids acitar on here , but i can't click open fourm, i gotta come in through recent post and such... any how, thanks again! -Ethan

smr
09-25-2005, 06:26 AM
you answered your own question. If you remove the flywheel you will find the starter clutch. A new clutch is about $70.00

good luck

HondaRacer300ex
09-25-2005, 07:43 AM
This happened on my old 300ex and all I had to do was loosen the bolts that hold your battery on, clean it with soda, (not joking) then tighten the bolts pretty good. Should work, did for me.:)

zeppelin
09-25-2005, 10:44 AM
sounds to me that you just have a dead battery, or bad connections like honda racer said :uhoh:

lonestar13r
09-25-2005, 12:08 PM
nah , it aint the batt. I swaped a freinds battery in,, same thing, i clean my connections preety often, its not them either, its been starting funky for a while, now it just finnaly went, like the clutch isn't catching at all, i was told how a dead or low batt. will do that thoe, make it have not enoughf balls to spin the clutch fast enough ... i'm guessing its some type of cyntrifical clutch deal? thanks every one. -Ethan

zeppelin
09-25-2005, 12:17 PM
well before you get into all the difficult stuff with the starter id still try some easier solutions, do you have a kill switch, make sure everything with it is working properly. look at the switch on the left side of the bars and make sure that its on. not to insult you or anything, but you have gas... right? i would just make sure all those simple things are in check before i statde tearing into the motor. good luck

lonestar13r
09-25-2005, 01:59 PM
no insult takn man,,, no , it runs and all, i have to pop start it , it will run till i pull my kill cord out. but it wont engage the starter clutch, press the button "weeeeennnnnn weeeennnn" you can here my starter just "free spining" , i already picked up anouther starter for it, got it for 20 bux, and it was the same deal, its not the starter i don't think , somthing with that clutch . again , thanks -Ethan

zeppelin
09-25-2005, 02:33 PM
my bad, i forgot you said you could push start it, gees im a dumb ***, then if its not the battery yeah its got to be the starter, let us know if it works