PDA

View Full Version : somethings wrong in the rear...

Tommy 17
06-12-2002, 03:13 PM
well i just got back from vacation and i took my 400 for a ride... its not riding straight it goes left... i have equal tire pressure in all tires 5psi... if i look at the rear of my quad the swing arm doesn't seem to be in line with my frame... it looks to be bent to the left of my quad... what could i have bent... i can't find any cracks on the swing arm or frame... i think it happened when i cased that double and bottomed it out hard... what should i check guyz... i don't have a pic right now but i took some and i gotta get them developed... i dunno whats up... can the paint hide a crack in the swing arm???

JabberJaw
06-12-2002, 03:21 PM
"somethings wrong in the rear... "

Sounds like you better go see a doctor! And, No, paint won't hide your crack..... if that would have worked, I would have done it years ago! I know, I used to be a plumber!

"Uh-Oh, Better get Rico!"

Tommy 17
06-12-2002, 03:51 PM
haha i should have known better to post something like this with jabber around hahaha. u crack me up man!

mrusk
06-12-2002, 06:26 PM
cross your fingers that you didnt tweak the frame:confused:

matt

06-13-2002, 08:14 AM
Only thing I can think of is your bearings are shot in the carrier or swingarm bearings...Tommy jack the SOB up in the air,,make sure it's sitting stable and start pullin on the rear end..Your chain runs down the left side of the quad,,so if anything is loose in the rear end..the torque from the chain pulling is gonna cause your quad to veer to the left..follow me..also tip that bad boy back on the grab bar and go over the complete bottom end of it..especially check the swingarm up around the front were it meets the frame,,that's were they crack and usually it starts on the bottom.

bradley300
06-13-2002, 10:44 AM
does it have a popping sound when you go up hills? if so your bearings are bad. alway check the rear axle nut every 2 or 3 rides.

Tommy 17
06-13-2002, 12:03 PM
well the hub was loose but i tightened that up... i went riding and didn't have much time to look at it bc my friend wrecked his rm125 and broke his collar bone and is at the hospital as we speak... soon as it stops rainin i am gonna go check the sob out from head to toe and look for cracks and stuff...

440exnacsracer
06-13-2002, 07:01 PM
make sure your swingarm pivot bolt isnt bent. if it is, ull have to cut it out with a tourch. i had to.:D

Guy400
06-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Tommy, being that your stock swingarm is cast it's highly doubtful that it bent. Cast metal is very rigid and generally breaks before it'll ever bend. I'd tend to think that the problem is somewhere else in the rear end.

brian400ex
06-15-2002, 11:26 AM
I broke mine last Nov. Worst pain i ever been in. Didn't hurt when i did it but the next week was really rough!

Tommy 17
06-25-2002, 04:36 PM
sry guyz here the pics of it... something look funny still... it was way worse b4...

06-25-2002, 05:51 PM
when i first looked at it, i thought it was really badly bent, but its that lisence plate, i dont see anything, cehck the carrier bearins, mine blew up, and it pulled to hte left too, makes wierd noises, and the axel was loose as ****, he paid for a free set though

Guy400
06-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Tommy, from looking at that pic the swingarm looks alright to me. What might be jacked is something around the bearing carrier. Are the bearings bad, is the chain adjustment system (eccentric nut) jacked? That's where I'd start looking.

Tommy 17
06-25-2002, 06:57 PM
does it mayb look like my right rear tires is bent? thats what 2 people told me on aol so far...

i've checked everything and everything nice and tight no play at all... i ran it on a stand and the wheels don't wobble but its still pullin to the left???? the front end measurements are on also so its not that? i dunno wtf is goin on...

i am rippin the bearings apart in the rear tomorrow... check all that mess out... hm...

400exRacerX
06-25-2002, 07:24 PM
Ahhh, When I first took a glimpse at it, it looked really bad. But that license plate throws everything off. Check the subframe if its bent, because you wont bend your swingarm, you will crack or break it.

06-26-2002, 11:18 AM
probably just a defective tire like I got,,swap your tires around tommy and see if it starts pullin to the right instead of the left.

Tommy 17
06-26-2002, 11:44 AM
nope rico... i just put on my holeshot xcs on stock rims just now... same dam thing!!!!

06-26-2002, 12:05 PM
possible worn sprockets and stretched chain..:confused:

Tommy 17
06-26-2002, 03:06 PM
took the bearings apart and they were in 3 pieces:confused: that can't be good haha... time for some new ones... i knew something was wrong...

the only thing that has me confused is when i pulled on the axle up on the stand and stuff nothing moved... the lock nut was tight and there was no side to side or back and forth play in the axle...

o well they lasted 2 1/2 years...

lil400exman
06-26-2002, 10:14 PM
i guess your ex got a joyride while it was gone 400ex21 and i dont know who it could be;) lol i dunno bbearings sound like yo hit it!

kicken250x
06-26-2002, 11:04 PM
unless you were off to the right of the bike about 6 in when you took the pic which i dont think you were cuz all the plastics and all line upthe could be bent and if you look really close to the sides od the grab bar and look strait down to the axle it looks like it might be to the side a little (left) but it couls be im just flipin out or something idk. my 2 cents...

FullBore52
06-27-2002, 12:40 AM
Looks to me like in the pic that your whole axle and rear tires are a little sideways in the carrier. The right rear is farther back than the left...or maybe the other way around, i have a short term memory...LOL

phatswinn
06-27-2002, 04:07 PM
... if i were you id check the bearings, one might be in,say,3 peices

Mxbubs
06-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Tommy, I had the same problem soon after I bought an aftermarkert carrier. I broke out the pen laser, optical alignment, every thing. My father is a machinist, and we couldnt figure it out. I like you, knew it didnt look right. I ended pulling the swingarm and found my needle bearings had slack. The worn bearings were the culprit. Check your needle bearings also.

Tommy 17
06-28-2002, 03:27 PM
i will check them also... i should have it back together in a hour or so and be out riding to see if that fixed it...

Foxrage
06-28-2002, 07:10 PM
I think its just where you didnt ride it in a whille from vacation it just seems weird. When i got back from vacation it took me a while to get back into the groove. Now it feel they way it did when i left. I think its your mind messin with you if you canrt see it its probly nuthin.

Tommy 17
06-28-2002, 09:03 PM
its was the bearing that was cracked into 3... rides fine now... thanks for the help guyz...