PDA

View Full Version : cracked plastic

09-21-2001, 03:50 PM
yesterday I was doing this awesome wheelie in 3rd when I went a little to far and I hit the back rack and the plastic. Now where the trunk and the back fender meet, I have a thin crack. What can I do to fix this?

Warrioreater400ex
09-22-2001, 10:27 PM
hmmmmm all i can say is try some jb weld or some type of something like that

Leo
09-23-2001, 06:21 AM
One thing you should do asap is drill a 3/8 inch or so hole at each end of the crack.. This will help keep it from getting longer as you ride.

You can also try drilling a few holes on each side of the crack and stiching it up with zip ties.. If you get the same color ties as the plastic it won't look to bad, and should last for quite some time.

Leo

09-23-2001, 06:42 AM
thats what i do when ever i get a big crack mine is abut 8 inches long and it happened about the second day i had my 300 , i did a wheelie and welll my leg hit the plastic to hard i guess and i noticed my pant leg being caught in something then i noticed that there was a huge crack my leg was in , god i hate it when i crack my plastic

4punksdad
09-23-2001, 07:08 AM
JB weld will not work...........I tried that one time, and it fell off after a few weeks.........drilling & stitching will work.

09-23-2001, 11:18 AM
I was thinking of using this heavy duty super glue? Would that work, or should I really use the zip tie idea. I would really hate to drill holes in it.

trueblue450
09-23-2001, 11:55 AM
Yeah I put the old JB weld on my crack on the underneath... After jumping a few times she broke the *WELD* in half... But for some reason the crack isnt getting any bigger. Its on the front of my fender too. Oh well im not complaining. Just dont use JB.

Nausty
09-24-2001, 10:18 AM
it seems like the honda plastic would crack or break easy compared to what they use on the dirt bikes.

4punksdad
09-24-2001, 03:59 PM
see that rip in my front fender? it has been there for about a year and has not gotten any larger. I tried JB weld on the bottom side, which fell off. So I decided to leave it alone & see what happens. Nothing has happened! I drilled no holes & did no stitching. But that was cut into the fender by a cable hung between 2 trees..............its not your average crack.

stocktires
09-25-2001, 09:06 PM
yea, when i got my R, It had about a 1/2-3/4 inch crack in the front plastic (and this is some BEAUTIFUL honda red plastic too!) I kinda ignored it and i grew to a 1 inch crack. And its makes me SOO mad cuz i have such beautiful plastic! its the only thing that makes my R look bad! i plan on drilling a hole tommorow and wha tdo ya'll mean "jb" weld? does it mean melting the plastic? cuz i did that on my 300ex and it worked GREAT! but i dont wana make my R's plastic look less apealing cuz after u melt the plastic together it dont look as good as before! so what can i do! drilling holes and wire ties work good for front 300ex 3 piece plastic! they look cool too, make sure and use black ties! they look ALOT better!

BANSHEEadam
09-26-2001, 05:40 PM
wha tdo ya'll mean "jb" weld?

J.B. Weld is some goop that's supposed to work miracles on things such as the crack in your fender. I have yet to see it

CranMan
09-26-2001, 06:02 PM
I've repaired cracks by putting a piece of thin aluminum or sheet metal underneath, and then riveting it from the top. I can get these rivets at work that have a very large outer diameter, and then I also put a washer on the underside around the rivet before I "pop" it. I actually repaired a mount point on my EX plastic this way, and it's stronger than before. And it looks really professional, not all rigged up. :D