PDA

View Full Version : Help with timing

400ex28
09-24-2005, 11:24 AM
OK, when I took my engine apart it was at TDC and still is at TDC but now i dont remeber what stroke it was on, I remeber that the lobes of the cam were down. Well, when I took off my 1st sproket bolt to the cam sproket i had to rotate the engine to get the lobes facing up on the cam. So then I took off the other sproket bolt took the spocket off and the cam off and disassembled the cylinder and everything. I need to know where the timing marks are at so i can set my timing right, also right now its either on the compression or exhaust stroke I am not sure i need a little help here. Thanks

hardkoratvmxr
09-24-2005, 11:30 AM
look at your valves to determine where you are at. compression= both valves are closed exhaust= exhaust valve open

400ex28
09-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
look at your valves to determine where you are at. compression= both valves are closed exhaust= exhaust valve open

I have the whole head apart...

Anyways..

dose the 400ex engine fire every time its at TDC? or what

FoxMxRiders
09-24-2005, 01:44 PM
every 4 stroke have 2 fire in the 4 cycles.One Fire at TDC compression stroke and another one in TDC exhaust stroke

rideREDrider
09-24-2005, 05:28 PM
i was just about to post the same thing, until i seen this post. I have a quad sport 230 that i im working on and was wondering how you get the cam set up on the timing chain.

please help us out somebody!

cals400ex
09-24-2005, 06:01 PM
turn the crank so the flywheel aligns on the T mark. put the cam sprocket on the timing chain so that two of the slash marks on the sprocket align with the head and the other one is pointing up. put the cam in and face the lobes down/back. put the cam sprocket bolts on. rotate the crank a few revolutions and make sure everything aligns.

400ex100
09-28-2005, 06:48 PM
foxmxriders there is not two fire on a 4 stroke there is 1 intake 2 compesion 3 fire 4 exhuast