PDA

View Full Version : Razr's too heavy?

ATVer14
06-12-2002, 02:20 PM
I'm looking to get a new set of front and rear tires, and I'm debating between the Holeshots and the Razrs. The question I have is that to me, Razrs look like they would be much heavier than Holeshots. Is this true? Also, I have a friend who has Razrs, and he says that they don't slide as well as Holeshots. Has anyone experienced this? If so, is it that big of a deal? I would be getting 20" backs, and 21" fronts, no matter what tire I get. I race mostly MX, but I like the added height of the 20" versus the 18" since the track I race at is really bumpy and it's easy to get stuck in ruts. One more question, are the Holeshot fronts (not the MX fronts, just the regular fronts) any better than the Razr fronts. The Razr fronts look like they wouldn't be as good since they just have that one center rib of tread, and then the outside lugs. Sorry for the long post guys. Thanks in advance for your input.
Kenny

Stevo
06-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Definetly get the razrs. My buddy has them on his 99 400ex. They hook up so much better than my holeshots and they are lasting a lot longer.

Not sure about the weight, their probabley around the same, since they are 4 or 6 ply and almost the same tread design.

NJ300ex
06-12-2002, 07:30 PM
I have razrs. i don't think they are heavy. They slide very well especially compared to the stock 300ex tires.

Go with razr's.

ATVer14
06-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to go with the Razr's. I can get a good deal on them from e-bay for the back pair, and my friend's going to sell me his new pair of fronts since he's going to be getting the Razr MX fronts soon. I can definatly tell that the Razr's wear much better than the Holeshots, since I got my Holeshots about the same time he got his Razr's, and now my tires are almost bald and his still look new. He even rides a Blaster, which spins the tires much more than my 300. Thanks again guys, if you have any more input, feel free to post it.

ATVer14
06-12-2002, 08:17 PM
One more question. Do you guys suggest staying with the stock rims up front if they're in O.K. condition. Or should I go with Douglas .190's that are offset an inch or so. I would like the extra width, but rims are expensive, and I don't know how much it would help. Thanks again
Kenny

06-12-2002, 08:21 PM
get holeshots, mine last longer than my freinds razr and slide better because thier more low profile, on a mx track the holeshot is much better but if u trail alot too get razr because they have more bite for mud

Quadfather
06-12-2002, 08:24 PM
The stock EX rims are supposedly one of the strongest rims out there, due mainly to the rolled edge.

ATVer14
06-12-2002, 08:32 PM
I know the EX rims are pretty good, so strength isn't an issue with me. It's more the offset, and does it really make a difference? Also, I'm going with Razr's because this isn't going to be my full on MX quad, I also use it in dunes, trails, but mostly MX. My real MX quad will come in about a year or two. Then I'll deck it out with all the goodies!:D

ATVer14
06-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know if I would have to revalve my shocks if I got plus one or plus two inch rims?

Rastus
06-14-2002, 09:45 AM
Id recommend reverseing the front rims. I did this with my stock rims, and i figure it could be done with aftermarket ones too.
ive rode 300's with the rims in stock position, and i deffinately like my reveresed ones alot better. Theres alot more confidence in jumps, turns, etc. Plus, the mod is almost nothing.It is fairly easy to do, and greatly enhances the quad.

Just my .02$

oh, go with the Razr's. I have a set of 20's i use for MX, and they work great.

ATVer14
06-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the tip '92 : 250X er. I think I'm going to put the Razr's on the stock rims, and if I ever feel like trying the reversed rim idea, I can just take them off and flip them. Then I don't have to spend a $100 on rims, now it can go towards a new clutch!:D

Rastus
06-14-2002, 03:50 PM
Just dont forget you might have to mod them...not sure...but..
They will fit, but i think you have to drill a hole the same size as the other air stem on the opposite side of the rim in the same spot.On the regular side, all you have to do is take the stem out, and put it back in backwards. Thats how mine is setup.
Make sure there're the same size.

Dont be afraid to do it, its easier than it seems, and looks pretty trick.