PDA

View Full Version : I need a better understanding

luvmyex
09-23-2005, 06:41 PM
i keep hearing all these different things about shock. I just want to know what it all is about. Such as what does adjusting the preload , rebound, and compression actually do? I know softer or stiffer but i need it in a good explantion of what does exactly what. And what is all the ssd, zeropreload and all the other thing like that?

Pappy
09-23-2005, 06:50 PM
let me try...i am no expert by far:p

compression settings will dictate how much force is needed to compress the shock.

rebound setting dictates how fast the shock reacts to being compressed

preload is the amount of pressure applied to the spring set and is primarily used to set initial ride height

ssd or zps is an added spring that allows the quad to sit lower then possible with a standard 2 or 3 spring stack.

i am sure someone alot more knowledgeable then me can elaborate and correct anything i screwerd up on:p

300ex73
09-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, adjusting the preload will essentially adjust the height of your quad. Adjusting the rebound will control how fast your shock returns from a compressed state. Adjusting the compression will of course control how fast the shock will allow the suspension to compress.

As far as SSD and Zero Preload, they're essentially the same thing. Elka calls there Zero Preload shocks, SSD. It's basically a small spring used on the shock that fully compresses when weight is placed on the shock. These allow the quad to sit lower in it's travel, thereby lowering the center of gravity, and making the quad more stable. These are also nice, becase you can generally achieve slightly more wheel travel, and the tires will follow the terrain better. That's assuming that you have your shocks setup and adjusted correctly.

I think I got that pretty close. Anyone lemme know if I got anything wrong or if I forgot anything.

luvmyex
09-23-2005, 07:55 PM
thanks guys, that helps alot. So for mx or jumping you would set the comp. harder or stiffer and for trails softer, correct?? And the preload is just for ride height only? It dont have any affect on the comperssion? I always thought it did. But i have no clue.:huh

punker69q
09-23-2005, 08:39 PM
ok, here are some shock basics

Shocks are basicaly an oil reservoir that move the oil through some orifice when compressed and extended. This hydraulic damping is used for two purposes. First one is to create a force that is speed dependant to help prevent botoming. Second one is to control the return speed of the suspension and to prevent vehicle oscillation. This is why old cars tend to ride like a boat, because they use soft damping for a confortable ride.

So, when you adjust the compression on a shock, you basicaly make the oil passage on the compression stroke smaller or bigger, thus creating a higher damping or lower force for a similar shaft speed than previous adjusment. This is the same for rebound adjustment.

preload adjustment is used to adjust the ride height to a proper level for your riding style.

ssd and zero preload are the same thing. They use a soft first spring to let the quad sag to the proper height, without affecting the remaning travel. Cars use sagging suspension, but only because their spring are relatively soft for their weight.

so, some important things to remember:
- springs control slow speeds bumps and chassy roll
-damping help on high speed bumps and/or shaft speeds.

cook65xc
09-24-2005, 03:06 PM
looking at a new 450r. rode anew one today and it sat up so high i couldnt stand it. how much preload is in the stock shocks and will shocks off a250r fit it:confused:

MD450r
09-25-2005, 02:11 PM
You could turn the preload adjusters out to lower the ride height some or the better but more expensive option of sending the shocks out to be resprung and revalved for you.

Aaron

cook65xc
09-25-2005, 08:26 PM
thanks for the info. i think im going to buy a used one already setup for xc.

400exMO
09-27-2005, 07:15 AM
on the adjusters on the 450r shocks, which ones are which. and which way do I turn them to adjust compression and rebound and preload?? i'm confused on these and I haven't got a chance to ride them. But I want to get on em' and adjust them as best I can for my riding. thanks