PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Newbie questions???

redneck2725
09-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey all, i'm now the proud owner of a 2004 Honda 400EX. I'm buying it from a buddy who has only ridden it 7-8 times and very lightly. He never had a quad in his life, bought this brand new, and realized he really was not into them. So i'm getting for $3000, which i think is pretty good compared to what i have seen. He has a Moose 13T front sprocket, ITP Holeshot HD's on the rear, and a swingarm skid. I have rode quads my whole life, but not sport quads. I have always had a 4x4, so i'm just looking for any advice, tips, or misc things to look for on these quads. Also, i was lookin into some performance hop-ups, but nothing to serious. Any help, would be greatly appericated.

redneck2725
09-23-2005, 07:43 PM
I guess no one on here knows anything about the 400EX:rolleyes:

DaleJrFan
09-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by redneck2725
I guess no one on here knows anything about the 400EX:rolleyes:

well i was gonna welcome you to the site and give you some tips but after the smartazz comment you can find your tips someplace else for all i care.

this is the best place on the web to find anything you wanna know about the 400ex with some of the most knowledgable people around but your not gonna make any friends that way.

ofsoto
09-23-2005, 09:52 PM
The most simple performance mods:
1. Exhaust System (check other threads about this in this forum)
2. Air Filter (K&N or UNI)

After this mods, you can install: cam, high compression piston, high rev CDI & carb.

blackwell17
09-24-2005, 12:03 AM
1 - this is a forum...not a chat room. Dont expect answers right away.

2- what kind of riding do you do? I would assume trail riding since you are experienced with 4x4.

3 - performance isnt limited to engine, drivetrain, etc. Suspension is always a wise decision on upgrades.

You just need to deide on what your main riding environment is, then come back and ask us what we think.

redneck2725
09-24-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by DaleJrFan
well i was gonna welcome you to the site and give you some tips but after the smartazz comment you can find your tips someplace else for all i care.

this is the best place on the web to find anything you wanna know about the 400ex with some of the most knowledgable people around but your not gonna make any friends that way.

Dam, it was a joke. A little too serious around here

redneck2725
09-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by blackwell17
1 - this is a forum...not a chat room. Dont expect answers right away.

2- what kind of riding do you do? I would assume trail riding since you are experienced with 4x4.

3 - performance isnt limited to engine, drivetrain, etc. Suspension is always a wise decision on upgrades.

You just need to deide on what your main riding environment is, then come back and ask us what we think.

I know it's a forum. I'm a Admin for 2 different sites, and i moderate over 3 others.

I mainly ride trails, and some hillclimbs & jumps. I might do a little drag racing, but that will not be for a little bit, until i get used to the quad. I'm actually looking for my first upgrade to be a set of TRX 450R shocks. I know they are a ton better then the 400 ones.
Thanks for the answers

redneck2725
09-24-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by ofsoto
The most simple performance mods:
1. Exhaust System (check other threads about this in this forum)
2. Air Filter (K&N or UNI)

After this mods, you can install: cam, high compression piston, high rev CDI & carb.

I was looking at a Yoshi exhaust, but heard they are more geared towards Suzuki. I really like the Big Gun exhausts, but not sure if them and Honda's are the best combo. I have a UNI on my Eiger and so far, so good. So i believe i'll go with that, plus i do ride in muddy conditions from time to time, and i know the K&N are not the best in these situations.

What exactly does the CDI box do??? I saw one from Big Gun that was only $80.

DaleJrFan
09-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Exaust- if you are just doing a slip-on, CT is a great exaust but if you are doing a full system, LRD and Curtis Sparks are great. Yosi does gear twords Suzuki cause they have some sort of factory agreement. Dont forget you will have to re-jet with whatever exaust you decide on.

Shocks- you said the 450r shocks? Sounds like a good idea but it has been posted several times with the results. You can spend a unlimited amount of money on shocks for a sport quad so all I can recommend is ride what you feel comfortable with.

Air filter- K&N is the best out there under all conditions, just use a outerwear on your filter and clean it on a regular basis. Where people mess up is not routinely cleaning their filter after really dusty rides or letting their air boxes get full of mud. Again, you will have to re-jet after installing a new air filter.

CDI- This box lets the quad rev faster through the gears. I have only used a White Bros CDI but there are several good ones out there.

Good Luck.

underpowered
09-24-2005, 09:32 AM
exhaust: i say go with HMF slip on, and you can always add the FMF powerbomb header fo a little more power.

Air filter: K&N is great in muddy condition, where it lacks is in dusty ones but like someone else said, as long as it is properly maintained you should have no problems.

CDI: if you get one, get a good one. it alter teh timing curve for better throttle response and a higher rev limiter. Dont get a white brothers, big gun, magnum, ect.... get either a TC racing or GT thunder. the other ones are just XR250 boxes and will cause hard starts in wold conditon.

I would seriously think about suspension. YOu can mod the motor all you want, but if the handleing cannot keep up you can get into trouble real quick.

are you sure it is a 13 tooth front sprocket, i have never seen a 400 with a sprocket that small before. it whould have tons of torque and acceleration but very little top end. A lot of peopl use a 14 tooth frotn sprocket for woods riding.

redneck2725
09-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Ok, it is a 14 tooth sprocket. That's my bad, another buddy just put a 13T on his Z400 and got the 2 confused. I think i'm goin to get the K&N with the outerwears over. I'm not sure what exhaust i want. I have always been a fan of Big Gun, and then one of my buddies who has a 400EX told me he loves his DMC Alien. I really like the look of the Alien, but have not heard too much about them.

Now on the CDI box, why should i not get the Big Gun or etc??? Don't they all pretty much do the same job?? Or am i way off on that??

Also, i got the stock front tires, and the ITP HD's on the rear. Is there really any reason i should get new fronts until they are worn?? I had a kid tell me on another site that have diff on the front and back makes a big diff. I really do not believe this, but just checking with the experts.:scary:

underpowered
09-25-2005, 09:36 AM
the front tires should not make much of a difference, keep em until you need new ones. as far as teh CDI goes, I would not get teh Big Gun, it is just an XR 250 box, get a good one from TC racing or GT thunder.
The exhauset is usually opinion, but the Big gun is alright, but havent heard much about the alien either. i like HMF, Sparks, or Pro Circuit.