PDA

View Full Version : Verdict is on hold.....

Pappy
09-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, after dealing with a 2 stroke mini, and comparing it to a mildly modified Honda 90, I still stand by my statement that the Honda is the most reliable mini quad available.

We havent had any large mechanical issues with our 2 stroke, but I can see where it will be way more inclined to have mechanical issues especially with XC racing.

Speed is more directed to the 2 stroke in the short runs, but on top end our Honda's have no problems in our impromtu drag races.

Buying the predator and adding the most common mods for it have been enlightening to us. We may never race the 2 stroke, but we will learn from it and apply its strengths and weakness to our advantage when we go up against them on the track!

So, our verdict would be a mixed feeling and still stand strongly behind our 4 stroke:D

Pappy
09-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Being that our test rider is injured, a woods track comparision is out of the question until he heals up. So a timed straight-line top speed run was set up.

We are fortunate enough to have a drive way (gravel/hardpack) that affords a full on wide open run for the mini's. i picked a spot after a few test runs that allowed both mini quads to be at a point where they were at maximum speed to stop the clock.

Both quads performed identically! 14 seconds was the time for both quads with 4 runs each. The Predator got to top speed slightly faster but the TRX90 once into 2nd gear was pulling hard. Both quads hit the stop line at the exact same 14 seconds.

MODS:

TRX90
11-1 stock bore piston
Big Gun full exhaust
Open airbox with K&N filter

Predator
full exhaust
20mm carb
aftermarket intake w/ reeds
clutch mods
32 tooth rear sprocket

It was an interesting test for us.

Pappy
09-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Next week I will have our full on built TRX90 back together and we will throw it into the mox and see if we can get past the 14 second mark.

LT80
09-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Cool!
14 seconds seems like a very long time. I have reports of 300ft. drags being in the 7 second range, but their built. Can't wait for the full on TRX time!
I also wonder how many tracks have 14 second areas.
My meaning to this is, I'd like to see how they compare at a distance comparable to a track. Paducah TT is a big one, I imagine the back stretch is like 10 seconds +/-.

FYI:: this is not a "bash honda" reply. Just curious. :)
THX for your time and results Pappy.

Pappy
09-23-2005, 08:36 PM
I will try and measure the distance tomarrow. its a long long way:p alot longer then any straights we have seen in the gncc series with the mini quads so far. a guess would be 1/10th a mile:confused:

on my ute, i could get to around 45mph and i know each of these mini's should be around 35+ mph capable.

Pappy
09-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Measured the distance and it was around 5 quad lengths past the 1/10th mile mark. Not sure how that stacks up.

Dave83
09-24-2005, 04:23 PM
My nephews mx Predator runs out like you mentioned.It has the Hetrick pipe,cdi,clutch and we put a head off an Extreme 100 on it to bump up the compression.Takes off hard but tops out quick.Some of that is attributed to running 16s on the rear for off corner accel.It will spank piped TRXs on the local MX track,but the built bikes(80cc dirtbike motors in blaster and 300ex frames) will smoke it on the straights.Just went to a 32 tootyh rear today and it seemed to balance the power better than any other we've tried.Considering putting the 18s back on the rear to help the top end speed some.

LT80
09-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Makes sence dave83.
The pipe your using (and most all use) is designed for a grunt performance up to about 8300rpms. They can be taken to close to 10k tho.
I think most of the national 90cc,s (kasea/pol/eton/etc) indeed use the 18" tire. We (LT80's) can get away with the 16's cuz we don't have the sprocket to frame problem the others have.
I think some put different tranny ratio gears in to help with that problem.:)

Pappy
09-25-2005, 07:43 AM
I have been told that the predator internal gearing is the cause...but i cant say for certain.

we mainly race XC, straightaways are involved but they are not as important as a quad being reliable etc. on an impromtu timed run cody was almost 15 seconds faster a lap on his predator thanks to its faster acceleration. thats huge for us.

now, we still have to test against his modded 90 and i noticed something else. ever since riding the 2 stroke he has really turned up his riding on the 4 stroke. we have had a terrible time with him NOT winding the 4 stroke up to its full potential. thats has now changed. he now has the taste of speed and he likes it:p

Pappy
09-29-2005, 02:43 PM
We finished final wrench turning on the national TRX90 and did a few runs.

Literally unloaded the quad, warmed it up and has CJ make 2 passes. Both passes were 10 seconds flat, a full 4 seconds faster then the modded Polaris or the other TRX90 we have.

Im pretty sure I can find some more speed, i havent even tuned in the new carb!

Arctic Cat Dad
09-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Pappy I can see where siding the 2 stroke and then ride a moded 4 stroke thumper would help you. learning to keep the 4 strpke revd up at all times. These 4 strokes produce some huge power .Michael's buddy Kyle had his race trx 90 out riding and that 4 stroke is wicked. It pulls my butt around really fast and with no problem. I don't see how these little kids ride them.

Pappy
09-29-2005, 06:22 PM
yep, riding the 2 stroke had a big impact on cody riding the 4 stroke!