PDA

View Full Version : bad stator?

HCR250X
09-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I dislocated my shoulder a couple months ago and haven't riden my quad in over two months. It sat in my basement untouched. I went down there yesterday to take it out. It started up like normal, I let it idle for maybe 30 seconds while I got my helmet and gloves, and I heard it die. I went out ant tried starting it back up and nothing. I put in a new plug and tried, still nothing. The plug was soaking wet so I knew it was getting gas, tested for spark and I got nothing. The battery is fully charged, everything is connected. I tested from power going to the coil, nothing at all. So I am guessing the problem would be the stator right? I double checked my tether, and kill switch, both fine. Is there any way to test the stator?

For some history, I had a problem when I rebuilt my quad this past winter, it wouldn't start without a car charger attached. Once it got warmer it worked fine but I had to have a car charger hooked up to start it when cold. It was starting fine once temperature got up around 50+ and it ran fine the last time I rode it a couple months ago. The quad is a 2002 400ex with a JE 416 piston and stage 2 cam.

yamablaster24
09-23-2005, 10:56 AM
hmm.... i would go over the wiring harness first. This did the same exact thing to me but it turned out to be the coil. Odd....

HCR250X
09-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Well I went and pulled off the Left crankcase/flywheel cover. When I took it off all the oil drained out. I am not sure about the quad but I know on my dirtbike there isnt any oil in with the flywheel? Someone please tell me that the 400ex is supposed to have oil in there and I didn't blow a seal?

wilkin250r
09-23-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that oil IS supposed to be in there, I think almost all Honda 4-strokes have oil in the left case cover. It's the 2-strokes that don't have oil in the flywheel.

timmypeaper
09-24-2005, 04:03 PM
The stator does get covered in oil. When ever you pull the left side cover you should put the left rear tire on a stool so you do not spill all of you oil out.

HCR250X
09-26-2005, 06:00 AM
I checked every connection on the quad, fuses, and battery. I checked for power coming into the coil and there was nothing at all, so I figured it would have to be something before that, and from my knowledge the stator is what actually makes the spark...

No one else has any idea's? I'm sure someone else has had a stator go bad?

timmypeaper
09-26-2005, 10:15 PM
When mine went bad I had no spark.