PDA

View Full Version : Bad XCR

REC
06-12-2002, 11:48 AM
I have a 1999 400ex and still had the stk tires until this week. I ordered a new set of XCR's. Guess what, one of them had a hole in right from the start.
It looks like a manufacturing defect to me. The hole was right beside one of the center knobs. Boy was I hot and disapointed!
I already had the bead seated when I heard the air escaping.
You would think that a big tire manufacture like ITP would have better quality control. Any way I just thought I would let everybody know so they can keep their eyes out for the same thing.
Ride On!!:(

Ex'r Marlin
06-12-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by REC
You would think that a big tire manufacture like ITP would have better quality control.
Are you sure the hole is from manufacturing or from ITP? I am equally surprised to hear this as you are!!!!

My thoughts are that the tires rubber thickness is soo great, that I can't understand what manufacturing process would cause a "hole" in it. My first look would be how the tire was handled and shipped to you. I could be very wrong..... But I too have a hard time thinking ITP quality process would fail.

Sorry to hear about this.... To date I have no misfortunes with my ITP tires, including the my XCR's.

06-12-2002, 12:40 PM
One of my rear MX ITP tires was defective from the factory,,it didn't have a hole in it,,but the center of the tire dips down,,basically it looks like the tire is low on air but it's not,,I didn't notice it until I had rode on it a few times..I'll be goin with Maxxis next time..

REC
06-12-2002, 02:31 PM
The place that has the hole looks like there is not enough rubber there. You can actually see the top of the internal ply's. Im not sure how they are made, but it just looks like there was not enough rubber in that spot when it was put together. The rest of the tire is fine and does not appear to have been mishandled.

I called ITP today and they were very happy that I had called.
They were very helpful and said to call immediatly if I could not get a replacement. Theye even went as far to say that they would go to the warehouse and look at some other XCR's to make sure there was not a problem.:)

TravEX
06-12-2002, 03:13 PM
doesn't that reassure your faith in people when you call to report something like that and they are very helpful,,,i'm glad they responded to your concern,,,

Ex'r Marlin
06-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the update.

Hopefully you will be enjoying your new tires soon!!!!:macho

Guy400
06-12-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Rico
One of my rear MX ITP tires was defective from the factory,,it didn't have a hole in it,,but the center of the tire dips down,,basically it looks like the tire is low on air but it's not,,I didn't notice it until I had rode on it a few times..I'll be goin with Maxxis next time.. Hey Rico, where'd you get your tires from? I'll tell you exactly why they dip like that in the center. These big ATV parts vendors (Rocky Mountain, Dennis Kirk, blah, blah, blah) store these tires in bulk, that's why they can offer them so cheap. Anyway, they're shipped and stored tie wrapped together. They take two tires and smash them so they look like an accordian and then tie wrap them together to save space in shipping and storage. After sitting for so long the rubber takes that concave shape and never straightens despite how much air you pump into them. You just got unlucky in the particular tires that you got cause they must've been sitting for some time. Usually they come tie wrapped to the vendor and then they usually only sit a week or so before they're sold. When Rocky Mountain sells them they cut the tie wraps and then just use plastic wrap for shipping to the customer and usually the tire won't take shape in that short amount of time. But, if the tires sit tie wrapped for a while they'll be forever concave in the center. Doesn't matter what brand you buy, they're all subjected to the same thing.

phatswinn
06-12-2002, 06:56 PM
i ordered tires from rocky mountain and they were taped togather nice and round:rolleyes: it was perdy

Guy400
06-12-2002, 06:59 PM
That's what I said, when they ship to customers they cut the tie wraps and wrap them in that clear plastic. It all depends on how long they sit in the warehouse before they're shipped to you as to if they become cupped or not.

06-12-2002, 07:18 PM
i'm glad i order all my stuff from rockymountain lol

Guy400
06-12-2002, 07:20 PM
I'm not saying not to order from Rocky Mountain, I just ordered my Holeshots from them and they were fine. I'm just saying that the chance of getting a cupped tire is greater with these large companies.

Holty
06-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Rico...

my holeshot xc's are the exact same way. when they both have the exact same amount of air pressure in them, one looks like a normal tire with a "balloon" type shape almost, and the other one has like a "flat" top look to it. kinda weird but I can't notice when i'm riding so it dosn't bother me to much.

Tommy 17
06-12-2002, 08:11 PM
guy when i bought my xcs from rocky mt they weren't taped together... they where side by side so like the to rimz would be touching... and then they had these big green zip ties holdin them together... nothing to protect them from damage... i wasn't very happy how they were packaged... when i ordered my rimz and tires from j/l they were in a huge box... outta harms way...

06-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Good points and no one mentioned "blems" yet.

Texan32
06-13-2002, 06:16 AM
I got my bandits from Rockey. Have been running them for about 6 months now. They STILL have a little dip in the center. But what Guy was saying is true. They will collaps the tires as much a humanly posible in order to save space. Now, some of you that have ordered tires that turned out ok, good for you. But actually, the don't have the dip because the rubber compound is soft enough to compress easily and rebound the same. Tires like the Bandits and the holeshot are prety tough tires. The belt packs are tight and unfortunately will hold that bend shape. On the other had a buddy of mine runs bandit 6 plys (with kevlar belts). the only reason those aren't concave...you ever tries to squish one of those tires.....NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. That has got to be one of the most bullet proof tires i've ever seen

Something to scew on....

06-13-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by GuyLT250R
Hey Rico, where'd you get your tires from?

Magic Racing..:blah