PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going back to College

Quad18star
09-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Well I've been contemplating going back to school and getting another diploma in another field . I did Civil Engineering a few eyars back , but then got hired on as an assistant manager with a company , but it doesn't look like I'll be returning to that job , so I've looked into programs at a nearby college . They have many programs , but not much really caught my attention , except for the Tool and Die Manufacturing/ Machinist .

Anyone on here take that course before ?? Or work in this field?? How do you like it ? It's a 1 years program , with an optionial 2nd year , which I would most likely do . Let me know your thoughts from those that are in this field .

400exchick
09-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Hey Greg, I've got a buddy of mine in that program right now.. I can ask him how he likes it. I've heard that it's very in demand right now and you're pretty much guaranteed a job once you get out.

Let me know if you want me to get my friends opinion on the course.
better yet, I can give you his e-mail and you can ask him yourself.

duke416ex
09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
I have thought several times about going back to get my masters, but I don't think it would fit in right now.. I say though if you want to go back and have the option to then do it.

I have several friends who are machinists, I think it was kinda a let down to them after they got out of school. I mean they like what they do, but it wasn't near as easy to find a good job and the pay wasn't what they expected. Several were even working for a company that produces a lot of the streetbike wheels for the whole industry. I guess like everything after a while it just gets old and you need a change.

Tommy 17
09-23-2005, 09:43 AM
greg what about goin back to college and takin like 5 differnt classes and becoming and mechnaical engineer... no way i'd throw away a engineering degree with the amounts of money that can be made...

tater_kamik
09-23-2005, 09:55 AM
one of my buddies is a machinist in the af, he just makes random parts for a/c and for my quads!!:D

he likes it though, gets to use some crazy precise equipment... plus to practice he makes himself parts for whatever he wants pretty much.

09-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
I have thought several times about going back to get my masters, but I don't think it would fit in right now.. I say though if you want to go back and have the option to then do it.

I have grown ups 35+ range in about all my classes right now. You would be fine ;)

Quad18star
09-23-2005, 02:00 PM
I'll have to go over and talk with my parent's neighbour . He's been a machinist for the last 25 years ... I'll ask him how he likes the job . I know right now there's a big demand for these workers , as well as millwrights . Wages are fairly good also , and vary with the company your work for . I did a quick search , and it seems like wages vary between $18 - $27 an hour . Some of the larger companies pay upwards of $35 an hour .

Quad18star
09-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
I have grown ups 35+ range in about all my classes right now. You would be fine ;)

I had the same in my Engineering program . One guy was in his 50s . Hell in my CAD course , there was a guy in his mid 70s . LOL

duke416ex
09-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Oh I would love to go back right now, it's not my age it's just no time to go back. I had 70 year old people in several of my classes. I miss college, or atleast the scenery;)

tater_kamik
09-23-2005, 03:57 PM
my mom goes to college!

couldnt help it, its true actually and she is 50. definately gotta enjoy the views there! and no, i dont mean my mom

sly400ex
09-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Tool and Die is a good choice, my buddy makes $35+ in the field and still growing! Can't go wrong!