PDA

View Full Version : Just had the coolest conversation!

Matt37
09-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Well,

I visit my Grand mother quit often because I know no one is here forever, And I like to see her.

We got talking about history and then she told me how much history she has lived through and it blew my mind! She was born in 1910 so yes she is 95 years old. And when she was born she would help her mom take care of her father who was fighting in WWI at the time. She kept telling me other stuff and it was really cool all the stuff she lived through. She took her drivers test in a 1928 model T....how cool is that.

Anyway, I just wanted to see how many other people have grand parents that are up there in age and can remember all this history. If you do I suggest you go and talk with. It is really interesting to talk to people that lived through it all.

JDiablo
09-22-2005, 07:11 PM
My great grandfather was the lead building engineer on the George Washington Bridge :devil: that is awesome

watts16
09-22-2005, 07:15 PM
my grandpa always used to tell me stories. he was in WWII when we went fishing. now he is getiing alhymerzs(sp.)? he cant even drive now:ermm:

YFZ450Ridr
09-22-2005, 07:15 PM
thats pretty cool. i like talking to my grandpa who was in world war II i believe but im not positive on that. my great grandpa lived until he was 103, born in 1900. the wierd thing is, before he died, he said to the nurse the angels just left and jesus is coming. its kind of wierd but blew my mind when my parents told me. i still have this mini tele scope he gave me when i was really little.

Matt37
09-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
My great grandfather was the lead building engineer on the George Washington Bridge :devil: that is awesome

Are one of these guys your great grand father????

Bridge location: New York-New Jersey

Bridge spans: Hudson River

Construction Commenced: 1925

Construction Completed: October 25, 1931

Chief Engineer: O.H. Amann

Assistant Chief Engineer: Edward W. Stearns

Engineer of Construction: Montgomery B. Case

Architect: Cass Gilbert

Consulting Engineers: William H. Burr

JDiablo
09-22-2005, 07:17 PM
No the last name is Dabal,im not sure if it was head engineer,or i think head of making sure all the materials are deleried and what not,i think that is it

tdsongster
09-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I remember my Great GrandMother would tell me and my brother stories when we were kids. She had a B&W photo of herseld when she was 14. She lived to 104!!!

JDiablo
09-22-2005, 07:24 PM
This is going to be a cool thread:macho

Mxjunkie
09-22-2005, 07:29 PM
My Great great grand father was the first to grow mushrooms in my area, he came here from italy and this area is now the mushroom capital of the world. The funny thing is, the place he had them growing, its a used car dealer ship now, I belive the green house is still behind it.

Then my great grand father was in the mafia and owned a speggti company in italy/philadphia. He was a bookie for the mafia.

And last but least my pop pop was in world war 2 he was in the navy, he was telling me how the old war ships had big sling shots to launch the planes, he said it was a little hairy his first time

DH400EX
09-22-2005, 07:30 PM
I went and talked to my great grandpa today, he is 96 and he was telling me stuff from 1917. I find it hard to believe he can remember that over all these years, and its cool to hear what it was like around your town back in the old days and seein how much it changed.

fmf250ex
09-22-2005, 07:31 PM
my granny was born in 1899 and died in 2002 she was 103 and she was 4'11 im miss her alot i wish i knew her more but she only spoke italian and alittle english

Matt37
09-22-2005, 07:38 PM
My friend from school says she is a decendant of Al Capone. I don't know if i believe her or not.

That would be sweet if she really was. If i was the decendant of one of the most famous mobsters in history i would brag about it!

infantry317
09-22-2005, 07:39 PM
My Grandfather helped build the Alaska highway (actually up there building the barracks) while Grandma was at home in MN taking care of four kids.

My Step-grandfather was in WWII in the same company as Audie Murphy in the 3rd Infantry division, was field-promoted from SSG to 1LT. Marched across No.Africa against Rommel's troops, got cut off for two weeks without supplies and nearly starved to death. Went into Anzio and through Gremany and helped free two Nazi death camps. He was shot twice, and had a silver star and two bronze stars. Captured 17 Germans single-handed (amazing what grenades can do to your will to fight).

He had some amazing stories with pictures and Nazi memorablia to back it up.

Mxjunkie
09-22-2005, 07:39 PM
My old english teacher was in the capone family, has pictures etc to prove it..

Kinda scared me lol

I-7
09-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Robert E. Lee was my grandmother Ethel Lee's 2nd or 3rd cousin or something like that making me also a distant relative of him which is pretty cool. My grandpa who I never met died after World War II due to injuries suffered in the war but my mom would tell me some of the stories that he told her while he was in the hospital before he died. He was a tank commander when his tank came under attack in Berlin or something and everyone in the tank died except for him.

Matt37
09-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
My Grandfather helped build the Alaska highway (actually up there building the barracks) while Grandma was at home in MN taking care of four kids.

My Step-grandfather was in WWII in the same company as Audie Murphy in the 3rd Infantry division, was field-promoted from SSG to 1LT. Marched across No.Africa against Rommel's troops, got cut off for two weeks without supplies and nearly starved to death. Went into Anzio and through Gremany and helped free two Nazi death camps. He was shot twice, and had a silver star and two bronze stars. Captured 17 Germans single-handed (amazing what grenades can do to your will to fight).

He had some amazing stories with pictures and Nazi memorablia to back it up.

Yea, my grandmother has some memorabila from WWI. Including a rifle... I dont even wanna know what that is worth. But since it belonged to my grand father it is priceless.

m_townsgreatest
09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
my great grand mother was born in 1907 and i dont really get to see her cuz i like in this he!! hole nd she lives in utah but she was talkin about how she had a picture made for her wedding day and it was 25cents.this was during the depression

zephead400ex
09-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Matt37
Yea, my grandmother has some memorabila from WWI. Including a rifle... I dont even wanna know what that is worth. But since it belonged to my grand father it is priceless.

I know someone who's grandfather gave him an MP-40 after he had killed a Nazi solider in WWII. He shipped it back to his wife piece by piece until he had sent the whole thing. Every part of the gun has a swastika imprinted into the metal. IMO it's pretty freakin' cool.

As far as my grandparents go, my mom's dad committed suicide when she was 15. My dad's dad left home when he was 12 and is now believe to be in prison for murder in Arkansas. My mom's mom is an absolute loon, but I'm not close to her at all so I haven't got a chance to talk with her very much at all, especially about her past. My dad's mom was blind and passed away 5 years ago, I never got much of a chance to talk with her either. So, I haven't really experienced the whole "grandparent" thing.:ermm:

09-22-2005, 08:47 PM
My great aunt drove an ambulance in WW2 n she was a heck of a golfer

Vodka kept her alive till 94.. she was fine till 92 then they took it off her n it was all downhill from there :ermm:

She died last Easter n i visited her the day before i was the last family member to talk to her

ABERNETHY
ELIZABETH (BETTY)
Resident of Longwood at Oakmont. She was a renowned amateur golfer. Two time winner of the Pennsylvania State Championship 1937 & 1945. Three time winner Western PA Championship 1935, 1937 and 1938. She constructed a lookout for bird-watching at Powdermill Bird Banding Station. Founder of the First President's Memorial tournament. Member of the Fox Chapel Golf Club and the Rolling Rock Club. Miss Abernethy was a graduate of Sarah Lawrence College, and was a long-time member of Shadyside Presbyterian Church. She is survived by four nephews: Charles N. Abernethy III, Christopher M. Abernethy, Michael N. Abernethy and Samuel M. Abernethy; also survived by four grand nieces and four grand nephews.

...from the newspaper

Punk'd
09-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Well I dont have much to say besides.. My great grandmas brother was in world war 2 I believe. He made it out just fine, but days before he died my mom went to visit and he told my mom he kept haveing these dreams. Like he would be eating soup and as he would bring his spoon up it would disapear (sounds stupid, but he died like the next day)

This was only one of the dreams he was having days before he died another was he said he saw a really bright light and some figure that was calling his name and telling him to follow them and he told them "HELL NO WHO ARE YOU" lol I always found that kind of funny. I didnt know him to well, but I do miss him and will always remember those dreams he had.

This is why I do believe there is a god and oneday we all will know for sure.

Doober
09-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
before he died, he said to the nurse the angels just left and jesus is coming. i was really little.

my dad said "that he was going home" the day he died.:(

but my grandpa was in vietnam on the kennedy and he was telling me about how he saw a guy get sucked into an aircraft engine and how a cable broke cut some guys legs off anf when the guy looked at his legs he died of shock.

my other grandpa was in WWII and he told me how he was a POW and when the americans came all the germans ran and left the prisoners and they fixed up a jeep and 14 of them drove away on it.

my family is full of military background

LTZ400rider
09-22-2005, 09:54 PM
my granpop was a paratrooper in the 101st airborne thing during ww2. he was at d day

fasterblaster09
09-22-2005, 10:00 PM
The other day,my dad was telling my grandfather about our trip[ to Michigan.My grandfther was telling us bout how heuseto drive trucks wile my grandma was at home raising 13 kids.He told us the whole route he oo fromLouisiana to detroit.Hes 87 year old now,and remembers theroute he took accross country 50 years ago.Never seizes to amaze me of the story' the elderly have.

wantablaster
09-23-2005, 02:20 PM
my great grandfather was in ww2 and was a pow. hes still alive and was a truvk driver until he was about 75 and they made him stop. my moms dad built tanks he got into the military at age 16 by changing his birth certificate or soemthing like that im not sure of exactly how he got in.annd his dad was a mafia boss in our town. And my dads dad is still alive and was and ironworker he was hit with the thing that hangs off of a crane used to pick things up it hit him in the stomach and caused him to retire .

Hondadudeehhhh
09-23-2005, 03:04 PM
my grandparent's don't really have any stories (my grandpa was in WWII) in the begining but he died when my dad was like 25 so i never got to meet him. But my dad was in Vietnam and he has some good stories. My favorite is when he was reaching to get his drink a monkey had grabbed it and my dad tried to get it back and the little ******* bit him. He had ot go to all these ships and stuff to get some shots. Pretty cool stuff

blastereatin250
09-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Matt37
My friend from school says she is a decendant of Al Capone. I don't know if i believe her or not.

That would be sweet if she really was. If i was the decendant of one of the most famous mobsters in history i would brag about it! There is this huge house in our town that was one of al capones hidouts.

blasteracer24
09-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by exracer16
my grandpa always used to tell me stories. he was in WWII when we went fishing. now he is getiing alhymerzs(sp.)? he cant even drive now:ermm:

dude thats just like my gramps hes so cool and we would talk about the war and now he cant remember what he did 5 seconds ago its sad.

Plante400
09-23-2005, 11:35 PM
my pepe.. is.. 69 now i believe.. not too old but he did was around during ww2. and served in the korean war.. was was in korea...(sp) for a while... fixed radios and stuff.. wasnt in much action but hes still old.. and has some kool things tell me about.. he speaks french too

hence my last name

(T) (L) (U)
09-24-2005, 07:14 AM
my great grandfather was the leader of the pittsburgh crime family

MOFO
09-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by (T) (L) (U)
my great grandfather was the leader of the pittsburgh crime family

what was his last name?

FasstMidnightZ
09-24-2005, 07:29 AM
My grandpa was in WWII I think and the Viettnam war. :)

bman9
09-24-2005, 08:39 AM
my great great grandfather i think was one of the first 300 french soilders to come to this country. that was traced back thru that geneology stuff.

Atkins
09-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Alright, heres when I get laughed at. I just woke up and I had a dream that I was president Bush's grandson, and I was like, "hey, I should post that in this topic!" while I was still asleep dreaming.:(

IOWAracer
09-24-2005, 02:01 PM
My great g ma that passed three yeras ago told me about the titanic she remembered everything and she was 101 when she told me she was 10 i think and remembers it all her first husband was o the titanic and lived really neat i think

Tommy 17
09-24-2005, 02:45 PM
my cousin is joe pa from the penn state football team:devil:

both of my grandpaps were in WWII and have some kick *** stories... both are dead now and i wish i knew alot more...

i do know that the day we got the death records form my one pap that he showed he was a prisioner of war... we never knew that till he died... have no clue what happened...