PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever considered this for a job

Honda400exrox
09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Has anyone here ever considered being a U.S. Navy seal for a living? if you have do you have to be american or can you be canadaian? i think it would be a very fullfilling job

400exrules
09-22-2005, 07:07 PM
are you kiddin me:huh

you must not have watched those like, 5 or 6 episodes of class 234 going through the BUDS training on the military channel

those guys have to go through hell to be a seal

like, 75% of the people who try to be a seal quit because its so hard. and those guys are in like perfect shape, strong as an ox, and its like hell for them

Honda400exrox
09-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
are you kiddin me:huh

you must not have watched those like, 5 or 6 episodes of class 234 going through the BUDS training on the military channel

those guys have to go through hell to be a seal

like, 75% of the people who try to be a seal quit because its so hard. and those guys are in like perfect shape, strong as an ox, and its like hell for them

its better then a desk job:rolleyes: if you make it you can say you did something with your life

Ralph
09-22-2005, 07:19 PM
A girl in my schoo's father was a seal and she has told some pretty bad *** storys.

You cannot leave a seals body behind during battle so he had to carry his friends for several miles all while he had one or two bullet wounds. That **** gets me so excited, i wish i could accomplish that...

Honda400exrox
09-22-2005, 07:19 PM
so can anyone help me with the question?

Honda400exrox
09-22-2005, 07:30 PM
bump

wvspeedfreak
09-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Being that the Navy is a branch of the United States military,I doubt a Canadian could be a SEAL.

LTandRaptorider
09-22-2005, 07:44 PM
You have to be an American citizen. So come on down, join the best country in the world... and be a SEAL! ;)

btw... SEAL of course stand for SEa-Air-Land. So be ready to train and operate in ANY environment! Although they are part of the Navy... as long as they have water in their canteen, SEALs are always in a maritime enviro! :p

But DON'T expect to make a lot of money on it. But yes, very fulfilling if that is your thing.

400exrules
09-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
its better then a desk job:rolleyes: if you make it you can say you did something with your life

well nobody wants a boring desk job, but everyone gets all pumped and excited thinkin ''yah im gonna be a badazz''....and they rush off to try and be a seal, and they get their *** handed to them and quit.

and if your trully interested, i hope you love ice cold water because you will just about be living in it

Honda400exrox
09-22-2005, 08:32 PM
well nobody wants a boring desk job, but everyone gets all pumped and excited thinkin ''yah im gonna be a badazz''....and they rush off to try and be a seal, and they get their *** handed to them and quit.

and if your trully interested, i hope you love ice cold water because you will just about be living in it

so you do have to be an american citizen?

4oorider
09-22-2005, 08:40 PM
not to be an @$$ or anything, but why would the U.S. put a non American citizen into the U.S. Navy SEALS, doest seem like you would be able to join, just my 2 cents

Warnerade
09-22-2005, 08:41 PM
my step brother was gonna be in the navy...he couldnt handle it.

hes a bad mofo now...when i do see him..im sure not to mess with him, he wasnt in training for very long...and he can still put my down with one hand just by grabbing my wrist.

bansheeguy77
09-23-2005, 05:12 AM
its more like 90% that dont make it through training. it is very very hard you have to be in the shape of your life and very mentally strong as well. i thought about it for a little bit. i seen a show on like msnbc or something showing training for seals. closer to the end those guys get like 1 hour of sleep a day the rest of the time they are training hardcore the entire time. im sure if you would research it more on the net you could find what you are looking for.

Atkins
09-23-2005, 06:07 AM
Id say force recon as a marine would be alot more fullfilling.

Woodsrider
09-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Are people from guam, and samoa considered US citizens? Our military is full of them. I had a porto rican guy in my unit in the 101st that was in his third year of service before he ever became a US citizen. And my Platoon Sgt. held dual citizen ship in the US and France. So I,d have to say no, you dont have to be a citizen, but you could always call a Navy recuiter and ask.
*edit* on their website it looks like you only have to be a US citizen if you want to be an officer.;)

wilkin250r
09-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Pick up the phone and make a call to the nearest Navy recruiting office.

Now, why do you want to be an American Navy SEAL? Does Canada not have a military? Do they not have Special Forces?

Honda400exrox
09-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Now, why do you want to be an American Navy SEAL? Does Canada not have a military? Do they not have Special Forces?

we have a helicopter and our only subs are at marine world and the alberta mall:eek2: :p

Smoker
09-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Atkins
Id say force recon as a marine would be alot more fullfilling.

There were people in boot camp who could barely speak english, kind of funny to watch the drill instructors deal with them. You could join the Marines and take the SEAL indoc, or Force Recon, as Atkins mentioned.

Honda400exrox
09-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the input:) :D

stevez400
09-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm not a American citizen but I could have joined. I have my permanent residency card. In a year or 2 I will be going for my dual citizenship. I also had to sign the draft paper thing when I turned 18. Yet I can't vote?? I don't get it. I can join the US army and fight for the country but not vote.

09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by stevez400
I don't get it. I can join the US army and fight for the country but not vote. or buy beer ;)

Atkins
09-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
or buy beer ;)
In the armed forces, you can drink in base bars at 18. If you are old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to down a few cold ones with the boys.:)

Scro
09-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have heard several different opinions about which branch of the military is harder. I was just wondering what yalls thoughts were on it.

Atkins
09-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have heard several different opinions about which branch of the military is harder. I was just wondering what yalls thoughts were on it.
As far as physical craziness, Id say SeALs, but the Marine Corps isnt that far behind physically, and mentally you are put through so much in Marine Corps boot camp. Ive seen movies from SeAL training, and I just dont see basically any emphasis on discipline or anything else for that matter, it seems like a relatively laid back environment to me compared to the Marines.:ermm:

stevez400
09-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Im 21 now I was just sating when I was 18. But yeah very good point you have there.

jack_no7
09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
I would have to say it is a tie between the navy seals and the Delta Force the goverment finally started to they exicted

duke416ex
09-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by bama450r

I have talked to several friends who went in the service after graduating. Several joined the Navy, they all agreed that it wasn't all that bad, they also all agreed that the Marines are hard core!! Asking which branch is tougher is just opening a big can, there will be so many differences in opinion. Everyone has always told me Marines go in first, and usually they are just dropped in with no recognition that they exsist until the mission is done. One thing to remember is that no matter which branch you join there are a lot of career options, and not all of them are as life threatening as others. It kinda just depends on what you want to do once you get past basic.

Honda400exrox
09-23-2005, 01:32 PM
thanks guys im still determined to be a seal:cool:

Ralph
09-23-2005, 04:35 PM
im quite sure all puerto ricans are us citizens

K-Dub
09-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Marines go first ha. Read about the welcome signs the SEALs/UDT have made and put on the beachs for the marines to find when they get there.

reconmaster
09-23-2005, 05:29 PM
ok you join the canadian navy by applying to boot camp and what not by brothers in the navy and hes probly gonna have it madde basic trAINin teaches alot of things about teamwork

400exrules
09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
its more like 90% that dont make it through training. it is very very hard you have to be in the shape of your life and very mentally strong as well. i thought about it for a little bit. i seen a show on like msnbc or something showing training for seals. closer to the end those guys get like 1 hour of sleep a day the rest of the time they are training hardcore the entire time. im sure if you would research it more on the net you could find what you are looking for.

on hell week for the seals they go several days with no sleep, and they get sleep deprevation. and theyre steadily being pushed past their limits the whole week, all the way through the day, to all the way through the night. They do it to simulate battle situations and such to get them prepared

Pappy
09-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Atkins
As far as physical craziness, Id say SeALs, but the Marine Corps isnt that far behind physically, and mentally you are put through so much in Marine Corps boot camp. Ive seen movies from SeAL training, and I just dont see basically any emphasis on discipline or anything else for that matter, it seems like a relatively laid back environment to me compared to the Marines.:ermm:

if i remeber correctly, you just dont sign up to become a navy seal. you can apply for the seals after you have served in one of the other branches of service. atleast thats the way i remember it.

that would also explain why you did not see the discipline on television as compared to a show about other forms of boot camp. seal training is on a different level, anyone that can go thru it and come out a seal is one well motivated individual. i hae several friends that are or were active duty seals. one was my best friend in school and was deployed to both iraq wars and spent time in afghanistan. he is now a firefighter...lol i geuss there is not much call for killing people or blowing up a bridge when you get out:p

Atkins
09-24-2005, 04:40 PM
The reason you hear that Marines always go in first is because when the SeALs go in first, the military doesnt let anyone know.

400exrules
09-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
if i remeber correctly, you just dont sign up to become a navy seal. you can apply for the seals after you have served in one of the other branches of service. atleast thats the way i remember it.

that would also explain why you did not see the discipline on television as compared to a show about other forms of boot camp. seal training is on a different level, anyone that can go thru it and come out a seal is one well motivated individual. i hae several friends that are or were active duty seals. one was my best friend in school and was deployed to both iraq wars and spent time in afghanistan. he is now a firefighter...lol i geuss there is not much call for killing people or blowing up a bridge when you get out:p

yes, thats true, on the military channel, on the class 234 BUDS training course, all the guys were like age 22-30, and they were all huge and ripped and talked about how they hated being out on those ships. So that obvisouly shows theyve been in the navy or whatever for some time.

09-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
we have a helicopter and our only subs are at marine world and the alberta mall:eek2: :p

lmao

sorry Jack but they took those out, they were replaced by bumper boats:huh :rolleyes:

Atkins
09-24-2005, 10:07 PM
yes, thats true, on the military channel, on the class 234 BUDS training course, all the guys were like age 22-30, and they were all huge and ripped and talked about how they hated being out on those ships. So that obvisouly shows theyve been in the navy or whatever for some time. Wow, I didnt realize that. Yea, Pappy, Im guessing SeALs would be considered a special forces unit, so its not like their entrance to the military, that explains alot about how their training is more knowledge based and aimed at seeing if you can hack it physically and not so much aimed at yelling in their faces.

Every SeAL recruit ive seen on those shows on TV are ripped to begin with and they all seem to almost not make it, so from what ive seen your not getting yourself into something that just anyone can get through no matter how motivated you are.

SRH
09-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

yeah but....they dont use them:eek:

400exrules
09-25-2005, 08:46 AM
If your really interested, and want to see what they trully have to go through, then order this if you didnt see it on tv like i did.

http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10000&storeId=10000&langId=-1&productId=36303&rel_productId=30553

its 5 hours, on 3 dvds

here is a link to the intro they play before each episode, it shows some of the stuff they do, and it will show a scene where they are all running on the beach, and you can see how ripped these guys are
http://mfile.akamai.com/9290/wmv/covery.download.akamai.com/9290/clips/nseals/navyseal_BB.wmv

oh, and here is two questions from an FAQ section about the seals that may answer some questions

5.) Can I be in a branch other than the Navy and be a SEAL?

- No. The title NAVY SEAL should be pretty much self-explanatory. Other branch service members desiring BUD/S training should try to get an inter-service transfer to the U.S. Navy first. Talk to your chain of command or contact the Naval Special Warfare Center (NSWC) for more information.

6.) I am not a U.S. citizen. Can I go to BUD/S to become a United States Navy SEAL?

- No. To attend BUD/S for the United States Navy, you must be a United States citizen. A few "foreign nationals" are accepted into most BUD/S classes (from militaries other than our own), but that is a totally different issue and decided at the discretion of the Naval Special Warfare Center (NSWC) and worked out between the Center and our military allies that may be interested. But for U.S. Navy SEAL hopefuls, you must first obtain U.S. citizenship, then you may apply for BUD/S.

nacs400ex
09-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by SRH
yeah but....they dont use them:eek:

Isn't that the truth, Canada depends to be protected by the states if there was ever a time when needed. Canada believes if they help other countries, they won't need much of a military. :(

400exrules
10-02-2005, 05:52 PM
THe buds training course ive been talking about is on tv right now, military channel (204 here)

catch it now! its 6 episodes i think, each an hour long, well worth watching!

on the tv guide thing its called Navy Seals

woodsman250r
12-15-2005, 11:22 AM
If you want a challenge, join the Army and try to get into becoming an Army Ranger. They stormed beaches at Normandy, and they are the ones along with Delta that the movie "Blackhawk Down" was based on. They are no joke either and are a highly trained branch of the military.

BLACKeR
12-15-2005, 11:44 AM

actually the SEAL's are unique in that you dont have to be something else first. i believe its the only special forces unit where you dotn have to have X amount of experience. or be a certain rank. the youngest seal was 17 when he finished up BUD's. anyone can go through BUD's and anyone that passes it can be a seal. the one thing you see with the special forces is they are not always the ones who are the toughest or the strongest. they are the ones who want it the most, they are the ones who will not fail. they are the ones who understand you dont have to like it you just have to do it. as long you you dont understand failing, you can be a seal.

AtvMxRider
12-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

You apply for it and have to have a certain rating(job) in the navy to be able to apply. If you were not an athlete in school or not physically in tip top shape you might as well not even try. Just cause you think it is cool doesn't mean you will stand a chance. I served with a few seals while I was in the Navy and they were badasses

Glamis400ex
12-15-2005, 04:42 PM
A close family friend of mine for over 25 years was the Captain of Seal Team 1 here in San Diego for about 15 years. He is the most bad *** guy I know. Awesome dude. Very impressive what those guys do.

Glamis

bwamos
12-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
You apply for it and have to have a certain rating(job) in the navy to be able to apply. If you were not an athlete in school or not physically in tip top shape you might as well not even try. Just cause you think it is cool doesn't mean you will stand a chance. I served with a few seals while I was in the Navy and they were badasses

I have 2 friends that are/were in the Navy SEALS. 1 is in now, the other was in during the first Gulf War.

They both graduated High school. Finished 4 years of college. Went to officer school, then applied directly for the SEALS.

The one that is in the SEALS now didn't join to become a SEAL. He joined so after he put in his time as a SEAL he could become a HotShot Jumper (paratrooper fire fighter) afterwards. ;)

They also let the SEALS know their intrest for several years prior.

Hell week is only the begining. That's the weeding out process to get rid of the quitters.. SEAL training is the rough, diciplined part that you don't see on TV. ;)

ALso if you EVER plan on becoming a seal.. don't get ANY tatoos or piercings. If you do, they will ride you twice as hard.