PDA

View Full Version : Hyper Wheels

bigz-71
09-22-2005, 05:45 PM
i have a set of Hyper 8" rear wheels that i can not get to stay tight. i put carter keys in them or i have to cut the carter key first and then slide it in there.

i wanted to know what you all have done to fix this problem. i hate riding for five minutes and then having to come in and tighten my wheels. it sucks. i am tired and i dont like it that they come loose on me.

i thought about selling them and going with the 9" hyper wheels so it would not have the intregrated hub or just going with a alum. beadlock.

i just want your opinion on what is the best fix for my problem

DRT
09-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Never had that problem but maybe try some blue threadlock.

310ESR
09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
check for the splines bottoming out, or if you have bad splines in the wheel.

bwamos
09-23-2005, 01:44 PM
LSR axle buy chance?

LSR uses their spline tool too long, and the splines in the later batches often wont fit up well.

Scro
09-23-2005, 02:22 PM
take it to an mechanic with a air gun and tell them to tighten them until it just wont turn anymore, then put your carter key in. It should stay tight. Mine never stayed tight by just simply tightening them by a rachet.

bigz-71
09-23-2005, 02:27 PM
i use a breaking bar when i tighten the wheels. i get them as tight as i can with the breaking bar. i think i am getting them as tight as anyone could with air tools. i dont know what specs air tools get but i would think a breaking bar would be a good tool to use to get things tight. the bar is about 18 inches in length. i get a torque using it.

bigz-71
09-23-2005, 02:28 PM
oh by the way it is a RPM axle. i dont think that has anything to do with it.

86atc250r
09-24-2005, 10:10 AM
That's a common problem with any hub. The nut is not coming loose, the splines are wearing. This may be happening faster if the Hipers have aluminum splines without a steel insert.

To prevent this from happening, I use some RTV silicone on the splines - this does several things - it takes up any slack in the splines (machining tolerances / minor wear), keeps water & grit out, and offers minor impact absorbsion.

Since I started using RTV on my hub/axle splines, I have not worn out a hub or axle since, either OEM or Aftermarket.