PDA

View Full Version : Clutch draggin..

shorgasm
09-22-2005, 05:15 PM
02 400ex.
Just got it...playin around and stuff and had the rear off the ground for tightening the chain...had her in first and clutch in and the tires are movin good.Took abit more than just touching the rear brake to stop them.

Now I noticed it is near impossible to get her into neutral while running.Tried adjusting the clutch at the perch and the case and no real help.Maybe just a bit but no fix.

The tranny not going into neutral scares me a bit but I'm pretty sure it is cause the clutch is not disengaging enough..Am I right in this theory??

Would you just replace the cable or aim for the clutch being worn too far?....I'm noticing the clutch removal is gonna be a bit more invovled than a regular dirtbike...what's different??

NacsMXer
09-22-2005, 05:19 PM
If that's happneing, then either A: your cable needs replacement, or B: the clutch itself needs replacement

shorgasm
09-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Not to sound like a smartass but I know that much.Just wondering if this causing the hard neutral...engine off easy as pie.Shifts like perfect.

jak1389
09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
alot of 400ex are notorious for having a hard time finding neutral. but in this case i would say the clutch itself. first replace the cable because its cheap, but i am thinkning its the actual clutch.

shorgasm
09-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Me too...:(
The only thing that deters that thought is the hard pull.I gave her an extensive cleanig today and it felt a touch better..The pull that is.This is when I noticed the hard to find neutral.Justa theory..

NacsMXer
09-22-2005, 06:59 PM
I agree with jak1389. Neutral is always hard to find on 400EX's and 250R's that i've experienced. That's a good thing though; a tight tranny is a good tranny. Didn't mean to state what was already obvious, but those two options are what you are looking at. A cable is cheap to replace and usually helps smooth the pull a lot so I would definitely venture down that route first.

Also, if you already don't know, a worn clutch chattering against the fingers of the clutch basket can create a rough clutch pull over time as the plates are moving across a grooved surface rather than a smooth one.

shorgasm
09-22-2005, 07:18 PM
I might seem a newbie to the quads cause I am but I have owned more streetbikes than 99% of the people here..I would guess.

I have broken many a basket and have had several "notched" ones...this is a tad different.The pull is consistent but hard.This thing is for my girl so it has to be buttery..she ain't gonna manhandle it.;) :macho