PDA

View Full Version : ride height adjustment

TheRidinLife01
09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
alright, so im kind of new to the raptor yet. with stock suspension anyway to lower the ride height?...i would like the back to squat down a little more than it does:macho

tater_kamik
09-22-2005, 04:46 PM
well, if you are adjusting it since your sag height is too high, ok. otherwise, you probably need to lower it the correct way!! dropping it too far will cause it to bottom out easily!! but here is how you do it: put the bike on a frame stand (taking the weight off of the spring and consequently the adj nuts) probably a good idea to measure the distance so you can change the setting later if you dont like it, make sure the threads have a little lube on em, you do not want the nuts to get stuck on your shock causing a lot more work than it should be!!! grab a spanner wrench, or even channel lock pliers, and loosen the top nut. back it away a little bit, then move both of the nuts at the same time if you can until you get what you think you want

TheRidinLife01
09-22-2005, 06:21 PM
move the nuts up or down?

tater_kamik
09-22-2005, 06:59 PM
away from the shock

TheRidinLife01
09-23-2005, 01:01 PM
wont that make the shock get longer and sit higher? shouldnt i compress the shock so it gets shorter?

tater_kamik
09-23-2005, 03:52 PM
to create more sag, screw the nuts away from the shock, which decreases preload, which makes the spring longer. you must understand that the spring and shock work in conjunction with each other. with out the spring, your quad will be bottomed out. take a spring and hold it in your hand. now push the spring together. it tries to push your hands away from each other, right? think of your one hand as the nuts on top. the nuts do not move, but your other hand, which is the shock will be pushed away, forcing the ride height to be higher

TheRidinLife01
09-23-2005, 04:08 PM
so to make the back end lower which way do i turn the nuts? to the shock or awaY?:confused:

tater_kamik
09-23-2005, 04:18 PM
away from the shock. im gonna warn you now though, it will bottom out easier!!

tater_kamik
09-24-2005, 12:55 AM
so did that explanation make sense?? i understand the concept but sometimes i cant relay the info. let me know what you do not understand and what you do. tomorrow when im not gettin drunk i will send you street bike suspension info, which will help in your understanding of suspension adjustments. just do not let me forget!

TheRidinLife01
09-24-2005, 08:34 AM
alright, thanks a bunch:)