PDA

View Full Version : New here and have some ????'s.....

shorgasm
09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Just bought a 02 400ex.For my girl but I'm feelin it too.
I ride a CR500R but anyways need to know some "in" things to have.We were gonna do the Warrior or 300ex thing but figured the 400 was the way to go.

1..Pipe...HMF?..full or slip-on.
2..Stock size tires/wheels...What's the tire to have for mostly sand/dirt mud.Little hardpack but mostly soft.Not paddle deep though.The ones that are on there are Titan's and are very flat across.Good tread on front kinda worn rear.
3..What oil/filter do yo get good results from?
4..Nerf bars...are they a really good idea for her/me and which ones to get.
5..Clutch help..this ***** is about 2 inch travel and like a rock BUT the feel/grab is on the money.It feels very tight but I can modulate it very easily.Thinkin the "pull" should be easier though.
6..Chain/rear sprocket...pronto...this one is shot.

Sorry for soundin like a Noob..but I am to quads.Gotta ask those that know.:ermm: :ermm:

300exOH
09-22-2005, 01:02 PM
The HMF slip on would be enough for a stock motor. I recommend Kenda Knarly's rear and Klaws for the front. The are awesome tires for all around riding. I use Emgo filters since they are cheap and seem to work fine. I'm still searching for a good oil myself. I was running the old Mobile 1 redcap but they discontinued it. As for nerfs... I'd never have a trail quad without them. The stock clutch on the 400 is usaully pretty easy to pull. You may need a new cable. An ez pull RTC clutch lever wouldn't hurt though. Can't really offer any help on the chain/sprockets. I have heard lots of good things about sidewinder but I think they are pricey.

tprender
09-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Alot of people are getting the nerfs with the heel guards. when you get the slipon exhaust, make sure that you rejet. All that you need are the correct jets, you don't need to buy that Dyno jet kit. Save the money for something else.The clutch cable sounds like it needs to be replaced. Just about any o-ring chain will work good. Make sure that you get steel sprockets front and rear. 15/38 is the correct size. Emgo filters work great, just chage it every time you change oil.

shorgasm
09-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Lol....I just checked the gearing.16/36The front has broken teeth as does the rear.Not even a O-ring.

I'm assuming the oil filter is right under the cover in front of the clutch?

I have no manual as you can tell..lol

shorgasm
09-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Also have some questions about cold start-up..Seems to want to pop alot.It's pretty warm down here and damp.Not to metion sea-level.

The canister has had the baffle removed as it is LOUD as a mutha when ya crack it.Wondering if this is effecting the jetting for cold...Warm or whatever she fires right up as soon as the starter truns over.

400exMO
09-23-2005, 08:02 AM
you should change the sprockets soon before you throw the chain. as far as what to replace, it'sj ust preference. the oil filter is under a little cover on the side of the engine. near the front. two screws take the cover off then pull the filter out.

quad2xtreme
09-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Before all else, get the nerf bars. you will feel like an idiot if she breaks her ankle. It is especially easy to do if she is used to riding a dirt bike and putting her foot down. It was a real hard habit to break.

I would get a Dynojet kit (comes with very easy to follow instructions for jetting) and an aftermarket exhaust if you don't mind the sound. Loose the airbox cover in favor of one from EHS. Otherwise, go back to a stock exhaust. You can get one for next to nothing off e-bay.

I am betting the previous owner didn't rejet with the stock exhaust mod either.

/Jon