PDA

View Full Version : cam question

midnight
09-21-2005, 09:55 PM
I dont know anything about the cams but I know theres diffrent stages,could someone educate me on them please,thanks

cals400ex
09-21-2005, 10:59 PM
i am not sure what you want to know. basically they make different cams for different riding styles and different bike setups. some will make good power at low rpms, others are midrange cams, and they also make cams that make good power at high rpms. most recommend a high compression piston with the install of an aftermarket cam. it isn't needed but i would get a full exhaust too. many people say a slip on is fine. yes, it is fine but you will get a lot more out of the full system.

Rhino0039
11-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I bought my 440ex I got my motor apart now I was wondering how I could tell if I have an aftermarket cam or not? Is there any way I can determine whats a stock cam to any other

K_Fulk
11-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Rhino0039
I bought my 440ex I got my motor apart now I was wondering how I could tell if I have an aftermarket cam or not? Is there any way I can determine whats a stock cam to any other

Most aftermarket cams are ingraved with their grind numbers somewhere on the cam. I'm not sure what hotcams does with theres but my megacycle cam has mcx-2196 ingraved and my white brothers has WB1498 ingraved on it.

04TRX400EX
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Cams are designed for different riding types/styles and different engine setups:

Stage 1: increase overall power throughout RPM range

Stage 2: target mid-range to top-end power

Stage 3: focus more on increasing top-end power

Depending on what type of riding you do, one cam will be best suited. For example, if you ride a lot of open trails or desert-type riding, a cam with more top-end (stage 3) will be better since you are usually in the high-rpm range (3/4 to full throttle). On the other hand, if you ride MX or tight trails, a Stage 1 or possibly 2 cam will be ideal since it will offer you more usuable power. The last thing you want is to have your quad bog-down because the engine is setup for the wrong conditions. What you can do to counter the cam is change the gearing for more low or top-end power.

04'400ex'er
11-09-2005, 11:36 AM
There are many different companys that make cams for your application. most of them are hardwelded cams which will require you to remove your rocker arms and send them in to have them hardwelded also. most of them require stiffer valve springs too. Then you have your "drop-in" cams that you can install that do not require you to have your rocker arms hardwelded or stiffer valve springs. the cam is basically ready to be installed out of the box and require no modifications to the motor. The most popular "drop-in" cam is a hotcam. hotcams makes a stage one cam for all around riding. It will increase horsepower across the board an will also increase torque numbers significantly. the stage two hotcams is a little more agressive cam that increases power in the mid-top end range. They cause the power curve to come on similar to a two-stroke. Hotcams advertised plans to release a 3rd stage of cam, but in actuallity the previous stage two would be the new stage three, and they were going to create a new grind of cam for their stage two.
If you are willing to have your rockers hardwelded and purchase stiffer valve springs then megacycle and web also make quality cams.

trxkruzoffman
11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
i have a hot cam stage two, you can tell if they are after market cause the companies name should be engraved into it somewere. mine did, i love it so far, the hot cam made a big diffrence in my higher rpm range. i would probly recomend a stage 1 instead, most of the time or at least were i live, 4 strokes are in the lower range rpms most of the time. But when i open it up its a rush, i love it. I dont ahve a full system but im looking at one. Also im not sure this is suposed to happen but when u put them in mine goes through oil a lot faster, every time i ride i need to take an extra quart of oil just in case. That isn't bad is it. i no i dont have an oil leak. ive checked for one everywere. there is no cracks in my case or around my engine anywere. hmm

thumper169
11-10-2005, 10:27 PM
an xr400 camshaft will drop in and you can use stock rockers. unlike most aftermarket cams, the honda brand cam is machined to exact tolerences. this will keep it a lot quiter. my hotcam is very noisy, and i think the xr cam is almost as good for aggressive trail riding.

Rhino0039
02-28-2006, 10:40 PM
anyone know what engravings a Hotcam has on it???

99TRX400EX
03-02-2006, 09:15 PM
what year xr 400 cam to use thats what i want to put in mine and cant we use the cdi box off them too .