PDA

View Full Version : help me keep up!

mrhyde
09-21-2005, 05:13 PM
OK, I have a bone stock 87 R (never even been rebuilt) which I ride in on any terrain I get a chance. I usually ride with a buddy on a stock 01 raptor and he stomps me on any drag race or straight away longer than my 3rd gear. The R is getting rebuilt this winter and I want to know I should change to keep up with him. Thanks for any help.

Dave83
09-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Fresh bore,good pipe,reeds,and proper jetting should get you in the game.I could outrun piped Raptors on my R with a .050 bored cylinder,pipe and carb/reed setup.This was good for 300 ft races,after that they could get by.

beerock
09-21-2005, 08:09 PM
if you port the cylinder right it will walk almost all 4 strokes.

Tom TRX250R
09-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Money is the limit!

Two strokes respond to mods MUCH better than 4 strokes. Depending on how much money you want to put into the motor is up to you, but I would start with a fresh top end, port job, 38mm A/S carb, aftermarket reed cage, pipe that goes with your porting, throw on a K&N with Outerwears, and jet properly and you should walk all over any piped raptor! I had a buddy with an '02 raptor and I would take him by at least 2-3 bike lengths every time when I had similar mods.

wilkin250r
09-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Keep in mind that upgrades are not cheap.

"Porting" is not something you can do yourself. You send the cylinder to a professional, and they take a die grinder (similar to a dremel, only heavy-duty), and they cut and re-shape the ports in your engine. It can provide a huge power boost, and alone will cost you about $300 or so.

There are two major things you want to do along with your porting. One is head modifications for higher compression. You can either get your stock head modified, or a completely aftermarket head. If you get your stock head done, send it to the same people that do your cylinder porting, and get it as a package deal.

The other thing you want to get along with your porting is an aftermarket exhaust pipe (not just the silencer). Again, I suggest the same people that do your porting, because it's very important to get the pipe to match the porting characteristics.

All told, you can get porting, head mods, exhaust pipe, and a fresh bore and hone for less than $1000. Add the basics, like reeds and a filter, and you will run circles around that Raptor.

mrhyde
09-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice, any suggestions on the best company to do the porting?