PDA

View Full Version : DYNO jet ket HELP ASAP

450RgETiRdONE
09-21-2005, 04:42 PM
HONDA TRX450R

Okay reading through the instructions for this jet kit the last step for the stage two says the following;

"6. Locate the Fuel Mixture Screw (Fig. D). Using a flat blade screwdriver, turn the mixture screw clockwise untill it seats, then turn out 2.5 turn, 2 turns above 5,000 feet."

So my question is, if I'm going to be riding below 5,000 feet do I have to mess with that needle valve???????

Because I'm not above 5,000!!!!

Thank you.

Also in the instruction it mentions about installing the DYNO jet kit on groove#3 for applications under 5,000 feet. It does not show or say where "groove #3 is."

Thanks

F-16Guy
09-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Just turn it clockwise until it's lightly seated, and then back it out 2 1/2 turns. Two turns would be a leaner idle mixture, which would be necessary above 5000 ft. (which doesn't apply to you). For the needle, you'll have to remove it from the slide and replace it with the one they gave you. Groove three is the 3rd groove from the top on the new needle.

F-16Guy
09-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Just a thought: If the DynoJet kit for the 450 is anything like the 400ex, the Stage 2 jetting is going to be way rich unless you have some serious internal mods (cam, piston, porting, etc.). My advice would be to use the Stage 1 instructions for your elevation. I didn't even see a pipe in your sig. If that's the case, Stage 1 should be more than enough. Remember, the most important thing is to get the fuel/air ratio correct, not to just dump as much fuel in as possible. You will see a lot more power if you jet it correctly, no matter if it's labeled Stage 1 or 2.

450RgETiRdONE
09-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Okay, and thats fine with the air box lid off?

So down the road when I run a pipe go to stage two set up?

450RgETiRdONE
09-21-2005, 05:58 PM
F16 GUY, I also will de running it in the dunes with the air box lid off, and that goes under stage two for it's application. So your saying with airbox lid off go to stage when due to stage two will be too rich?:confused:

F-16Guy
09-21-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't have personal experience with the 450r kit, but I know for the 400ex, the stage 2 jetting was way too rich, and I had a pipe, K&N filter, vented airbox, and an aftermarket CDI, but no internal mods. It may be different for you. The needle and fuel screw settings should be the same for both stages, with only the main jets being different. My advice would be to start with the recommended stage 2 main jet for your elevation and set-up (no airbox lid, aftermarket filter, whatever applies), and work your way down through the jets they gave you (forget about what stage the instructions say they're for). If you notice an improvement when you go to the next smaller jet, then try the next one. If you still see improvement, keep going down. When you get to a jet that feels worse or the same as the one before it, go back to the previous one, and you're done. With my 400ex kit, the needle setting was right on, so you probably won't have to mess with that unless you have a real bad spot on a partial throttle setting. It sounds like a lot of work, but you can access the main jet through the plug in the bottom of the float bowl, so they really only take a minute to change, just be sure to turn the gas off and drain the carb. If, down the road, you do another mod or take the airbox lid off for the dunes and it seems lean, just go up a size or two untill you don't feel any improvement. Ahh, the joys of jetting!!

450RgETiRdONE
09-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey thanks, thats just what I did and yesterday I got back from the dunes at winchester. Holly cow with these new mods I screamed up the hills I love my new bike. And these new parts. Just need to figure out if i should get a pipe and which one?

cals400ex
09-25-2005, 02:19 PM
i have no idea what pipe you should get. everyone has their own opinion. i have the rossier but i don't think it is what everone says. i have never ridden a PC, which is rated right with the rossier. the sparks pipe put out a lot more low end power for sure and my bike felt faster with that one one. i really don't know though because everyone says the sparks produces the least amount of power on the dyno. i would make sure you get a full pipe.

keihin fcr
09-30-2005, 09:39 PM
On our 400exs the dmc's are garbage stay away from them. WE have big gun evos and yoshimura, The big gun has more low and mid. The yoshi has more top. Good luck