PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust triple rate shocks

Duner400ex
09-21-2001, 02:27 PM
I bought my shocks from Dennis kirk and they are setup for 160-190 pound riders. But they feel plush does anyone know how to adjust them tighter. i tried turning the shaft but it doesn't do anythig but turn.

Thanks Duner

09-21-2001, 02:40 PM
Hey,Buddy...This is the OPEN forum,You should have put this post in the Chassis forum where it belongs

Duner400ex
09-21-2001, 03:06 PM
Hey mcgrathsucks why don't you shut the hell up

RideRed04
09-21-2001, 04:12 PM
Yeah dude, that was a pretty pointless post. OK, Ill see if I can help out. Are they steelers? I dont think that all steelers are adjustable. PM rico, he has the triples.

09-21-2001, 04:57 PM
why are u gettin mad at me for pointing it out

AlaskaSpeed
09-21-2001, 08:00 PM
He is getting mad at you for pointing it out because YOU DIDN'T NEED TO POINT IT OUT. Are you that clueless? Sometimes your posts are just as stupid as the ones that made me quit using other forums..........JIM

09-21-2001, 08:17 PM
Jim, you stole the words out of my mouth.

trx400ex
09-21-2001, 08:18 PM
qiut gangin up on him...forget it

RideRed04
09-21-2001, 09:00 PM
It just seems like he makes a lot of pointless posts to get more posts in his profile...

trx400ex
09-21-2001, 09:02 PM
ye, i guess it would have been better if he could have helped duner and told him it was in the wrong post, but dont get all p1ssy

AlaskaSpeed
09-21-2001, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
ye, i guess it would have been better if he could have helped duner and told him it was in the wrong post, but dont get all p1ssy

TRX, quit ganging up on him....forget it.

trx400ex
09-21-2001, 09:26 PM
fug ewe..............................baaaaaaaaaa

thorspapa
09-22-2001, 12:26 AM
Ok duner400ex, I'll try to answer your question. I have triple rate steelers, non-adjustable, but in reality, they have a small latitude of adjustment, it just takes work.
You must compress the top of the spring down enough to see a clip holding the large silver retainer/disc in place. If you remove this circlip, you can now remove the retainer, and slide the springs and spacers out. This allows you to fine tune the spring rates, like the factory tech did for you. Don't loose track of the spacer positions, it'll mess up your carefully worked out crossover for spring actuation.
Now, since you know what you're dealing with, assemble it back together, but this time you'll want to compress the springs more, to allow you to install the circlip holding the spring retainer, 2-3 positions down from it's original setting. You just adjusted the compression for more preload, which is what you wanted if they were too soft. Keep in mind that it's suppossed to be soft at first, then progressively get harder, that's why they're triple rate. If they aren't bottoming out on big g-outs, I'd say they're fine, and what you want to adjust may be compression DAMPING, not preload.
That'll have to be done internally by a suspension shop.
Hope this helps, if not, I tried.

:blah

09-22-2001, 02:36 AM
hmm,funny when i post a message in the wrong place i get it pointed out , also funny that i would sit around making bull**** post to build my posts up. Yeah, i love to sit around all day just making up stupid posts. i think your stupid if you can figure out how to adjust shocks you just purchased. FU. Meet me on the track anyday and we can solve this.

09-24-2001, 12:52 PM
I'd say send them off and have them revalved,,,,Terry at Marcums might do works shocks,,,I'm waiting on an answer at this very moment,,cuz I need to get my fronts rebuilt since I widened my stance with the new A-arms,,, and I might go ahead and have the rear shock done at the same time,,,