PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil MANIA

forgiven
09-21-2005, 10:59 AM
I see everyone has their own ideas about engine oil

What would a 10W-30 mobil one or Castrol Syntec be like since for cars they would be the best?

Thanks

sandman45
09-25-2005, 08:41 PM
automotive engine oil can protect your engine however they have additive packages that include friction modifyiers. This can severly fry your clutch so I definatly would not reccomend these lubricants for atvs unless they are listed as non-friction modfyied.
Best to use atv manufacturers recomended semi-synthetic. Good for clutch and engine life.

tater_kamik
09-26-2005, 12:55 AM
i wouldnt say everyone has ideas about oil, just experience...

and he is right, do not use oil made for a car. quads have wet clutches and when oil with friction modifiers are used, you will get some serious clutch slippage, and early clutch failure. as long as you use oil withoiu friction modifiers that is designed for wet clutches, you will be ok. use the search button to find tons of info on this

forgiven
09-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I just ordered a case of Amsoil ATV 10W-40 and 3 Amsoil filter (magical claims the guys said)

The oil is going to be a shade over 6 bucks a quart delivered, and the filters are about 6 bucks each delivered.

Did I get screwed?

tater_kamik
09-26-2005, 10:25 AM
amsoil is very good stuff, and i dont think you got screwed

Knarf0486
10-15-2005, 12:57 PM
i run maxima synthetic 10w-40, and i love it. quad runs mint everyday and i ride like 2-3 times a week, well i did.

Dont use automotive oil, my buddy runs it cause hes an idiot and doesn't know how to take care of his machine and now he wonders why his clutch went so quick. o did i meantion he changed his oil once all summer and that was at the end of it. i made him put in the right kind of oil and now he says the thing runs better than the first day he had it got it. just my experience. good luck.

by the way tater_kamik, like the signature

tater_kamik
10-15-2005, 04:10 PM
word :D