PDA

View Full Version : Orv Park Re-opening

sandspanker
09-20-2005, 10:09 PM
:D GOOD NEWS FOR EVERYONE IN WESTERN WASHINGTON. Here is the artical from the news paper. Off-roaders may ride again in three weeks
Grays Harbor County takes over operation of Thurston's shuttered ORV Sports Park

BY JENNIFER LATSON

THE OLYMPIAN

For 17-year-old motocross racer Miles Warren, it means that after three years of driving two hours or more to practice his sport, he can race at a track near his house.

For Bill Willis, who has lived across the street from the Thurston County ORV Park for more than 40 years, it means that after a three-year respite from the noise, the traffic and the dust generated by the racetrack, the nuisance will return.

Thurston County Commissioners agreed to deed the controversial public off-road vehicle park to Grays Harbor County on Monday. Officials from the neighboring county had been considering taking over and running the park for months, and made the decision late last week after a state agency that funds public recreation agreed to give them nearly half a million dollars.

Thurston County commissioners closed the park in November of 2002, citing safety and liability concerns after two people died and 33 were seriously injured there in two years.

Grays Harbor commissioners plan to reopen the park Oct. 8.

Insurance problems will mean the new park could offer less opportunity to ride than the old park, and Grays Harbor commissioners said they have no assurance they won't be the subject of lawsuits, as Thurston County was.

"Whatever is going on you'll have people waiting to sue. It is a worry, but I have the same worry on our roads," said Grays Harbor Commissioner Bob Beerbower. "Do you stop everything people want to do or enjoy or spend money on?"

Races will be run by private promoters with their own insurance, and the park may not be open to casual riders Tuesday and Wednesday, as it was under Thurston County's management, because Grays Harbor's insurance won't cover the risk.

"Our insurance is just covering the RV portion of the grounds," said Beerbower.

Still, people who ride quads, dirt bikes and other off-road vehicles said they are thrilled at the news.

"It's awesome that they're opening it up again," said Warren, who lives in Tumwater and is planning a career as a motocross rider.

Warren grew up riding at the park, starting with a two-wheeler when he was 5 years old.

"I remember the first time I went out there," he said. "I remember crying because it was so muddy it was hard to ride."

But the track is better than most, Warren said. He drives two hours to Monroe almost every day to practice, because he drew complaints from neighbors when he practiced on a small track in his own yard.

"I'd gladly pay $20 to go out and ride" at the local park, Warren said.

The 150-acre ORV park is divided geographically between Thurston and Grays Harbor counties. Thurston County managed it from the time it opened in 1977 until 2002.

Thurston County Commissioner Diane Oberquell said she was glad it was reopening. She voted against shutting it down in 2002.

Commissioner Bob Macleod said he had concerns about noise and the burden the park could still have on Thurston County's emergency medical workers, who complained about the heavy load of injured riders needing treatment after accidents in the park.

Willis, the park neighbor, said he is disappointed about the park reopening.

"There's not an awful lot I can do about it," said Willis.

Grays Harbor officials plan to open the park for just a month in October to circumvent a loophole in Thurston County's land use regulations that says the park will lose its permit to operate if it isn't operated at least 30 days in a three-year period. That permit expires Nov. 30.

They plan to reopen the park in the spring. The park normally closes for the winter.

The state recreation committee agreed to give Grays Harbor $59,000 to get the park open again and run it for a month. They also promised the county $15,000 to make a business plan detailing how it will run the park in the future. Once Grays Harbor County completes the plan, it will be awarded $350,000 to run the park for the next two years.

"I just hope everything works out," said Beerbower. "We certainly have had a lot of (park) users that are very happy. The e-mails just started pouring in, and they're all ready to get out and get started."

Jennifer Latson covers Thurston County and Tumwater for The Olympian. She can be reached at 360-754-5435 or jlatson@olympia.gannett.com.

Enlarge Photo
Steve Bloom/The Olympian
Angie Marek, a representative of a four-wheel drive club, walks the overgrown infield track at the ORV Park with John Eaton, motorcycle enthusiast and owner of Dirt Cheap Cycle in Shelton. Grays Harbor County has agreed to take over ownership of the park, which will reopen after a three-year closure. Volunteers will clear the site, including the grandstands (background), which are starting to be overrun by blackberries.
Web Links:
June 21: County ordinance tells ORV riders to keep it under 55 decibels
July 5: Off-road riders shift gears to Capitol Forest
How to get there and information on facilities at the Grays Harbor ORV park
Join the Reader Network

Do you want The Olympian to keep you in mind when we canvass the community for opinions?
Click here and sign up with our Reader Network to offer your view.
Shopping »
ShopLocal
Find Local Sales:.

go

The Olympian - Click Here

The Olympian

Woodsrider
09-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I've never riden on the track there, but I have hit the trails. From there over to Rock Candy Mountain.

sandspanker
09-22-2005, 07:00 PM
:) Hopefully they will redo the track, Duvall designed it more for the pro mx bike guys. they are having a clean up on the 1st. and 2nd. of oct. I only live about 3 miles away from the park.;)