PDA

View Full Version : 2002 400ex ready for a rebuild

yellowrider
06-11-2002, 08:58 PM
OH boy do not know where to start...

i am for sure i want a 406 KIt
i am not sure if it is worth the power difference though?

i also need to know if 500 dollars will cover everything.. .bore cam piston and labor?

what do you all think?

yellowrider
06-11-2002, 09:01 PM
acturally boring it out 0.20 over would be good for me....
as long i see soem power

a wise man * said if i moded it i wouldnt be able to give it he11 like i do now without running into trouble is that true?

user101
06-11-2002, 09:13 PM
not necessarily if u start boring big like chadexr u will definately lose reliabiltiy he went to a 505. if u bore to a 406,416,425 u aint gonna lose to much reliabiltiy as long as u take care of it and run proper fuel and oil.

yellowrider
06-12-2002, 04:09 PM
well i am wide open most of the time also ....

i hit water holes and go through lots of creecks and mud holes cause they are part of the trail and no you can not get around them and also i like reving her up on the go you think i should just wait till the 400ex starts smoking before i do a bore or just do it now

06-13-2002, 08:56 AM
No matter what bore you go with or cam you go with you'll see a nice powergain,,you won't be dissapointed..I recommend you get the parts from Terry marcum and if you plan on having it done,,go to adventure sports in E-town...they do great work for a great price..PM me if you want more details,,and yes you'll probably get all of this for around $500.

MX26
06-13-2002, 09:23 AM
If its all stock, I would recommend taking your time and building it more down the road. I spoke with a friend of mine last night that has a 10.5:1 JE, TC National cam, MP flow work, 38mm Lectron, TC pipe, etc, and he says that thing will run by a piped Raptor with ease. That is also somewhere along the lines of what I will do with my EX when I get it.

A friend of mine just put his IMS440 in, and he's had **** getting it back together. He completely stripped the frame, and had it powdercoated black, then send his cylinder to LA Sleeve to put the 440 sleeve in. LA told him he would have a 1 week turn-around, so he could race the next weekend. LA kept his cylinder for 2 weeks, then sent it out. Once he recieved the cylinder, he started to put everything back together. He then ordered a White Brothers Race cam from Ronnies, and got it next day delivered. I went and picked it up for him, and dropped the stock cam off to be taken back to Ronnies. Well, I then noticed that the box said WHITE BROTHERS ALL AROUND CAM. I asked if he bought that cam, and he said no. So then, we had to send the cam back to Ronnies, and get the Race cam sent to us. Then once we got all of it back, Ronnies had the valve zip-tied together in what appeared to be the right order. Put it in, and turned the crank over by hand, and the valve extended so far out, it bent the valve! So now, we have a new valve, valve guide sent to us. The valve guide is the wrong size. We're sitting on go, waiting for parts :D So in theory, IM GONNA STICK WITH 398CC'S

yellowrider
06-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Rico .. that is where i was planning on getting my work done at.

it is just when i had the 300ex they seemed to leave a screw out here and there and also... when i bought my brand new 400ex i had a darn bolt out of it to..

but jeff he is a really good guy and nice to talk to and he dont bull shlt you ..

i am really thinking about doing this... Jeff told me that as longs as i change my oil every week i should not have a promblem.. and he also knows how i ride to.. pretty soon i be getting a new steering stem new front shocks and also a seat cover AND SOME MORE NEW tires.. lol so he knows i ride real hard and abuse my bike.. ( I am just a little worried that if i get the bore kit it wont be like it should in a couple of months then i have to get another rebuild and i can not afford that!! i am broke and about to get me a 99-01 chevy so i cant spend all my money on my ex like i used to.)

thanks RIco i will be looking into it a little bit harder

HEY WHEN ARE YO COMING BACK DOWN!!! i been going to the sandpit almost every weekend hoping to see you... so i can look at that 416 :devil and maybe just take it from you with soem help of my friends ......

pm when you go i realy would like to meet you and smoke you up a hill at the sand pit ... hehe

YLW400
06-13-2002, 10:43 AM
Is it really time for a rebuild, or are you just bored with the power??

Quadfather
06-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Your buddies first mistake was dealing with Ronnies. They are the most incompetent jackasses in the business.

yellowrider
06-13-2002, 12:56 PM
It is not time for a rebuild

it is still very strong

i just run it to death and i am always hammering the throttle and i am thinking if i get a bore kit the hammering the throttle will stop cause it will through me off or soemthing.

MX26
06-13-2002, 11:46 PM
The throttle will not get any slack. In fact, with added power, you'll enjoy the ride more, so you'll be using your right hand thumb ALOT more

RED121572
06-15-2002, 01:01 PM
406 kit? I was very impressed with mine. Remember, you might be able to get the piston and cam for a few hundred bucks, but you have to add everything else in there too. Loc tite, anti seize, gaskets, oil, filter,cam lube, razor blades, tools,shop rags, machine shop cost...etc. If you have a dealer do it, the labor will cost you about 50 bucks an hour.

If you do the work yourself, 500 bucks just might cover it.

Good luck man, let us know how it all works out for ya!!