PDA

View Full Version : Front and Rear Sprocket tooth #

Ukel
09-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I have a 15 tooth front and a 38 tooth rear. I bought my 400 about 3 1/2 months ago and never bothered to actually see the teeth count on my sprockets. I'm wondering what would be a good setup for the most usable torque. I find that when i ride at the dunes I hardly if ever touch forth gear and never have used 5th; frankly i just dont care to go that fast. So I was thinkn of maybe drop'n a tooth (or two?) in the front, to increase my torque and my usable gears. However i'm at a complete loss as to what rear count i should be thinkin about.
In the end i would like to have a setup where i have power to spare when hill climb'n but yet when i what to fly i can just pump it into 4 or 5th.
Hope this isnt to rambly and thank you in advance for any help or input.

reichart90
09-20-2005, 08:51 PM
yeah i was also wondering the same thing. i've started practicing on a mx track. whats the best combo setup for that low end power yet not to destroy a decent high end speed. thanks

tprender
09-21-2005, 06:15 AM
The stock set up is 15/38. You can go down 1 tooth in the front and you will not hve to shortern the chain. You will lose some top end, but it doesn't sound like you get to 5th gear ever. The sproket should only cost you about $20 giver or take. Going to a 13 would be to great of a jump.

cals400ex
09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
i would try a 14 tooth front sprocket first.

400exrider707
09-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by reichart90
yeah i was also wondering the same thing. i've started practicing on a mx track. whats the best combo setup for that low end power yet not to destroy a decent high end speed. thanks

In your case stock would do it. If your on a tight track you could drop a tooth in the front seeing as you would never use 5th anyways. I eventually went back to stock gearing, becuase with the 14 tooth front it seemed like I was shifting twice as much as I was with stock gearing. It made it less fatiguing.