PDA

View Full Version : Please help with my Shock question

EX Stud
09-20-2005, 08:23 PM
OK! Here is the deal. I have had my 2002 400ex since it was new, but have just started to really get serious about motorcrossing. I have been a few times a year mostly, but recently I have started going every weekend or every other weekend. My stock shocks are just KILLING me! My everything is sore! I can't afford $1000 + just for front shocks. What is an affordable shock option keep it under $500

also if I want to get Long Travel shocks, will they work with my stock 400? Or will I have to get some +1 or +2 a-arms to go with them. I am new to suspension on ATV's so how do you tell what you need?

Colby@C&DRacing
09-21-2005, 09:02 AM
if you want to stay under $500 for shocks you can go with the elka economy triplerate, ssd set up for your weight and riding style. If you get longtravel shocks you will need to get longtravel arms to match.

you might also look into the elka compression adj triplerate with ssd, if you are going to get serious about racing mx.

ssd means self sagging device, this will lower the center of gravity and allow you to corner better.

EX Stud
09-23-2005, 12:14 PM
what is +2 and +1 a-arms? Will stock shocks fit those a-arms? What would long travel shocks a-arms need to be?

And where is a good place to get those for under 500? THANKS

PismoLocal
09-23-2005, 03:51 PM
ebay

punker69q
09-23-2005, 08:45 PM
if you want to stay under 500$, elka economy triple rate with stock a-arms is your best option.

+2 a-arms cannot use stock shocks, the ride will be way too soft for mx and worst than stock.

For long travel, the price will be more like 850$ for the a-arms and 900-1100$ for the shocks, except if you buy used parts.

But, used shocks may be worn out and not be valved and sprung for your weight/riding style, so you will have to spend more money to get them right after.

For a limited budget, elka economy shocks really work wonders and you will be able to improve your skills a lot before needing an upgrade.

Snow
09-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by EX Stud
what is +2 and +1 a-arms? Will stock shocks fit those a-arms? What would long travel shocks a-arms need to be?

And where is a good place to get those for under 500? THANKS

+2+1 a-arms are +2 inches wider on each side, and +1 inch longer on each side (there will be an inch added onto your wheelbase length)