BGRider400
09-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Does anybody know how many watts the stock startor puts out?:eek2:

JOEX
09-20-2005, 09:01 PM
147 @ 5000 rpm

BGRider400
09-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Is that enough to run a set of aftermarket lights with the stock ones still hooked up?:confused:

yamablaster24
09-25-2005, 07:42 AM
i think aftermarket are like 65 arnt they. Thatd be a lot for the stock stator.

BGRider400
09-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Does anybody have a set of aftermarket lights on their 400 if so which ones did you put on and did you change the startor?:huh

JOEX
09-25-2005, 07:26 PM
TrailTech and LazerStar make aftermarket lights that don't require changing the stator.

I don't think you can run both the stock lights and the aftermarket ones at the same time. If you go with one of those you wont need to;) I have the LazerStars wired into the stock light switch.

BGRider400
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks man. Do you have a pic of what your looks like?

JOEX
09-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BGRider400
Thanks man. Do you have a pic of what your looks like?
I have pics on a disc somewhere, if I find it i'll post some.

One thing I don't like about these lights is they sit too high, they are above the cross bar on the handlebars. I flipped the quad once with them on and the mounting bolts snapped off. The lights still work and I had someone make me some brackets to mount them.

BGRider400
09-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks again.

aviator4
09-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Here's a couple of pictures of the smaller TrailTechs. These are 20 Watts a piece. They're pretty bright. I will be going to the 55 watt version of these pretty soon.

aviator4
09-26-2005, 07:32 PM
The brackets that these are on had to be made. It was the only way to get them up above the bumper. Other than that, installation was easy.

I have them wired into the "high beam" side of the light switch and haven't had any issues with them since I installed them.

BGRider400
09-27-2005, 03:01 PM
How well do they work in the woods at night. Do they have a low beam and high beam. and did you have to change the startor?:confused:

JOEX
09-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by BGRider400
How well do they work in the woods at night. Do they have a low beam and high beam. and did you have to change the startor?:confused:
I doubt there is a high and low beam. Most likely one light is a flood light and the other is a spot light. I have mine wired into the stock switch also, low beam for the aftermarket lights and high for the stock lights. I think that's the way I did it:p

A side note on the stator... Someone posted awhile back that a rewound/higher output stator doesn't work as well at low rpm, the lights will dim at idle. I haven't confirmed this yet though.

aviator4
09-28-2005, 07:08 AM
That actually work pretty darn good! These are set up as "flood light" - increasing the overal angle of light dissipation. I use them in conjunction with the stock lights when the high beams are on.

These are called "single fillament lights' - meaning they are one beam only, no high/low setting. So, I have the wired into the "brights" side of the light switch.

I went with such a small bulb (20 Watt) because I use them in conjunction with the stock lights and the stock stator. If you were to completley replace the stock lights with some aftermarkets, you can go to a higher wattage than that.

I, too have also heard that a re-wound "high output" stator will casue your lights to dim. I can understand that on a bike that has no battery, but I dont' think it will be that big of an impact on a 400.

keihin fcr
09-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Trail Tech Hid
Go to the trail tech website and it says you can use their hids in conjunction with your stock lights. I plan on doing this later.

JOEX
09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by keihin fcr
Trail Tech Hid
Go to the trail tech website and it says you can use their hids in conjunction with your stock lights. I plan on doing this later.
Those HID's are nice, I know a guy who has four of them on his Raptor:eek: