View Full Version : Anyone do a modification for working brake lights?

gdkarma
09-20-2005, 04:18 PM
I found this subject on a 3wheeler site, and they modified a 350X and ended up having brake lights like the 450R and '05 400EX. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, so I got to looking around, and there's a kit on Ebay to do this for older 400EX's. Has anyone done this, and what are your thoughts on the outcome?

andybellus
09-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I bought a kit for my 400ex off e-bay, it worked great and was very complete.

MWB BigMike
09-20-2005, 06:38 PM
How does this work ? does it come with a switch that connects to the brake ?

WheelieMan4
09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
ya i would be interested in the kit too...anyone have one or know how much they are...have any idea how they work..pm me please

MWB BigMike
09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I see them on ebay for like 54 bux. Not sure how they work though

gdkarma
09-20-2005, 07:12 PM
The information on the 3wheeler site walked you through the installation of switches that mounted onto the brake master cyclinder (think that's what you call it), and then wired into the led tail light. I then did a search on these switches suggested on the 3wheeler site, and they are about $20 each, needing 2 if you want to utilize the front and rear brake to activate the brake light. Then I looked on Ebay, and you can get the complete setup to work with your existing tail light for just over $50. Not sure if you can upgrade to led tail light later, or if it makes a difference!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400EX-Add-a-Brake-Light-EASY-with-THIS-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43974QQitemZ4577148 434QQrdZ1

gdkarma
09-20-2005, 10:53 PM
andybellus, thanks for the input! Sounds like an okay deal, especially if you ride with a group on trials. I think I will look into buying the whole setup.

andybellus
09-21-2005, 09:11 PM
The kit I got off ebay had very good directions and it also worked with both front and rear brakes!! It adds a small sensor to the bottom of the front stock brake lever that trigers the rear tail light/now brake light. It also added some kind of a pressure sensor to the rear master brake cylinder where the brake line attaches. You remove the banjo bolt that hold the stock brake line on and replace it with the sensor that comes with the kit. Also I guess with the older kit you had to really modify the brake light it self to fit the new two way bulb, but the new kit you only have to clearance the opening a bit. Also if you have aftermarket brake leavers the front brake may not work and if you've added a aftermarket air box that moves the battery you'll have to play around a bit with wire lengths. Over all I was very happy with the kit, as it's very helpful if you do a lot of trail riding. Sorry for the novel and good luck. Hope this was somewhat helpfull.
Andy

TC440EX
09-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Have any pictures of the kit.

MWB BigMike
09-23-2005, 01:51 AM
**** man thanx for the novel. I am buying one now

Originally posted by andybellus
The kit I got off ebay had very good directions and it also worked with both front and rear brakes!! It adds a small sensor to the bottom of the front stock brake lever that trigers the rear tail light/now brake light. It also added some kind of a pressure sensor to the rear master brake cylinder where the brake line attaches. You remove the banjo bolt that hold the stock brake line on and replace it with the sensor that comes with the kit. Also I guess with the older kit you had to really modify the brake light it self to fit the new two way bulb, but the new kit you only have to clearance the opening a bit. Also if you have aftermarket brake leavers the front brake may not work and if you've added a aftermarket air box that moves the battery you'll have to play around a bit with wire lengths. Over all I was very happy with the kit, as it's very helpful if you do a lot of trail riding. Sorry for the novel and good luck. Hope this was somewhat helpfull.
Andy

ballisticpb
09-23-2005, 11:18 AM
after searching ebay i have found three versions... one that uses your exsisting taillight and only conncts to the rear pedal brake. one that attaches to your lever and pedal and your stock light.. or this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4565512203)that upgrades you to the 450R led version tail light... i think i will look into getting this one.. has any one use this kit(with the new light)

andybellus
09-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by TC440EX
Have any pictures of the kit.

Sorry i don't have any pic's of it