PDA

View Full Version : HMF or X6? Price or Performance?

MX26
06-11-2002, 08:02 PM
I'm selling my R to get a 400EX. I will have about $500 left over to spend on the EX, and am wondering about pipes.

For the life of this motor, I plan to keep it somewhat stock, for the time being at least. In my head, I think a 10.5:1 JE, MP flow work, 38mm carb, etc etc will suit my needs good enough. Therefore, I dont believe I will ever need to buy a new header. So it all comes down to the "silencer"(why they're called that? Heh, Dont ask me!!). The $189 price tag on the HMF looks VERY attractive compared to the other aftermarket slip-ons. I've heard one, and am well pleased with its audible quality. It sounds very good, and LOOKS like a direct copy of the Yoshimura RS3. A good friend of mine keeps on recommending the Sparks X6 though. I'm used to a fast bike(note the signature), and am wanting enough HP to keep me pleased until at least next race year.

Have any of you tried out the HMF? They advertise a 4HP gain on bottom, and 2 on top. That's just about the powercurve i want, but I'd like a little more up high. I haven't really checked into the Sparks pipe, but have noticed many people on this forum have them. What are your opinions? If you had it to do over again, what would you take? HMF(Price) or the Sparks(Performance)? Thanks in advance. I also like WarriorMan's TC pipe, but its a little pricey.

Kadafiy
06-11-2002, 08:09 PM
I'm using the HMF slip-on and could really feel a power increase after the installation. It looks, performs and sounds good and the price is awesome. The power is mostly given to the low and mid end I did not notice much difference on the top. But the power is incredible on the low end. I couldn't tell you about the x6 because i have never used it, but I have heard really good things about it. I guess it's your call if you like your friends setup with the x6 get that, if not go with the HMF you'll like it.

MX26
06-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Kadafiy, thanks for the reply. HMF's look like nice pipes, and seem to give good power. I want to do everything on this quad to perfection. I want the most HP, and I'll save and wait till I can get it.

Tango
06-12-2002, 01:03 AM
MX26, I'm in the same boat you are. I've been debating about both pipes. If you look in the frequently asked questions part of the forum. There is a pipe shoot out. Sparks gives the most horsepower. It also said, they noticed a power gain from bottom end, to top end. I like the price of the hmf, but I want more power on the top end. I already think 400ex's are torque enough. The way I understand it, the only way to get more hp is to increase the diameter of the header pipe. I also plan on a big bore this winter. So, I will think I'm going to order the sparks. A lot of people on this web site said, a pipe will either make or break a modified motor. Just my opinion.

Nausty
06-12-2002, 01:34 AM
If your gonna do some major mods to your motor like bore, piston, cam, carb then you might as well get the x-6 but the hmf is a good pipe from what I hear about it.

CBRSLIDER
06-12-2002, 01:39 AM
Just thought that I would throw my .02 cents in. I understand the dilema that you are in. If I am following you correctly then the x-6 is not the pipe for you if you want to keep the stock head pipe. It has it's own headpipe. I do not know much about the HMF but it does have one heck of a nice price tag.

Something to think about. The Hetrick racing pipe is an X-6 copy pipe and you can get it for alot less than an x-6 from Sparks. It has good power numbers and you can find a dyno run at GT Thunders site listed in the links section of this site. I am currently kicking around the idea of getting their pipe. It is a high quality pipe and is reasonably priced. Kinda weird how the sparks pipe is about $490, and the hetricks is listed at $408 but they will give it to ya cheaper.

Just thought that I would give you more food for thought.

Ray

MX26
06-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I would like to keep one company throughout my motor. But I guess that means I'll have to spend a little more to get a builder pipe. The HMF is looking better each day, but like Tango said, the 400EX has enough low end already(Look at what I have been riding!). What I would like is a smaller boost on bottom, but a stronger gain on top. Is that possible? Like I stated in my 1st post, I plan to keep the motor some-what stock.. Piston, Cam, Flow work, etc. With that, I don't really think that a full system exhaust is needed. I know the Honda headers provide lots of torque(the main reason TC uses stock headers), and are very good quality. With the engine mods listed.. Should I go ahead and get the full-system?

Yikes! That X6 is expensive! CBRSLIDER, does Hetrick have a website? Maybe I should stick to my good ole' FMF Fatty on the 250 :D I wish I could make this 400 sound like the VTR1000 I used to poke around on.

CBRSLIDER
06-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Ya there site is in the links section of this site. Check them out and give them a call. They're great people to work with.

Ray

06-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Maybe the sparks pipe is more becouse he had to do r&d to make the pipe. hetrick just copyed the sparks pipe. That save alot of money and time. I have the sparks pipe and love it.

MX26
06-12-2002, 08:01 PM
I'll go check that out right.... NOW

Hmm. I like that. Actually, I like the whole mentallity of the company. It looks just like the X6. Can someone with this pipe speak up? How does it compare to the X6? Im guessing since they're basically just alike, the power is equal?

Its not much, but the $189 vs. $408 is a little better. :)

Dave400ex
06-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Well I would get the Hetrick`s, Sparks, or TC. But like you said, you want to get the Pipe from the Engine Builder you are going to have Build your Engine or get the Parts from. I really like my Pipe and wouldn`t trade it for nothing.

MX26
06-12-2002, 11:15 PM
The way I see it, a builder designs his mods to work with his other mods. Therefore; without lots of expensive parts, and many hours inside the motor, the easiest and cheapest way to get a good motor would be to stick with 1 builder.

Hetrick looks like a good company. They seem to be smaller, and usually a smaller corporation will pay more attention to detail, and give overall better work.

Which leads me to my next question. Which builder do you guys prefer? I talked to a guy tonight over at ATVConnection that has a 10.5:1 JE piston, TC National cam, TC pipe, MP Flow work, etc, and he said it flat out hauls! It will be a while til I get the motor work, so I'm wanting the most HP out of this pipe. Thanks again!