PDA

View Full Version : how do you install a cam???????

Conwaymx
09-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I am about to purchase a web racing performance cam.
what do i need to go about to install one of these.
my timberwolf already has a k@n filter and a FMF Megamax slip-on. I have not re-jetted the carb because i don't know
how or what i'm supposed to do. will I have to re-jet for the cam?:confused: :confused:
Please Help!!!!!!!

Should I re-jet anyway for my pipe and filter?:confused:

wilkin250r
09-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Ok, don't take this TOO personally, I'm only trying to help.

You, my friend, are clueless. You shouldn't be trusted to put GAS in your quad, let alone start doing complicated upgrades.

Now, that doesn't that you can't upgrade. Not at all. It just means that you can't upgrade right now.

I'll give you two very basic, general, concrete rules about wrenching on your ATV.

Rule #1: Any time you change ANYTHING in your fuel/air path, you need to check your jetting. This means filters, exhaust, carburetors, camshafts, pistons, anything that is involved with the combustion process. Really, about the only thing you can change without checking your jetting is your chain.

Rule #2: If you don't know exactly how, don't do it. If you can't be bothered to spend a couple hours researching your project before you tackle it, should you really be doing it in the first place?

wilkin250r
09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Now, with that said, I will go ahead and give you a basic rundown.

Yes, you need to re-jet for your filter and exhaust. If you don't know how, you need to learn. Jetting is a very basic, vital function of any engine upgrades. Think of it like tieing your shoes. You can't run a marathon if you can't even put on your shoes and tie them.

Get a manual. Not an owners manual, that will just show you how to put gas in and start it. You need a REPAIR manual, or often called a Service Manual. It will tell you how to take apart your quad and put it back together.

In order to install your camshaft, you will need to take the valve cover off, loosen the cam chain, remove the cam sprocket and bearings, and replace the cam. With a web cam, you probably also need to remove the rockers arms and get them hardfaced.

Conwaymx
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I got a shop manual. Thank you for your help.
And I am a pretty good mechanic, but i'm just new to the atv scene and I just don't realy know what all to do yet.
And yes, I have researched it but I just ain't sure
what size jets to install. Do I buy a kit or would it be better to
buy induvidual jets? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

DaleJrFan
09-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Nicely put Wilken.

YES, you have to re-jet.

Conwaymx
09-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Thank's guys. your help is extremly appreciated. any more advise:) ?

DaleJrFan
09-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Hopfully your shop manuel is a Clymer cause they are the absolute best for "how to" stuff. I am not that familiar with a timberwolf but your jetting is critical to performance of your upgrades. You can do a search on here on re-jetting. Good Luck.

Conwaymx
09-20-2005, 11:31 AM
It is a clymer. thanks.:)
Oh about how much of a gain can I expect from a cam and
a jet over what I have now, which is a K@N and a FMF Megamax?

wilkin250r
09-21-2005, 10:15 AM
The cam should give you a decent boost. For a really good boost, try an aftermarket piston to increase compression. Replacing the piston and rings really isn't that much more difficult.

Once you replace the camshaft, you're nearly halfway to the piston anyways. All you need to do is take off the head and cylinder. If you're working on it, and doing upgrades, may as well throw another $150 into a piston kit.

Jetting is crucial. It is intimidating because there are no hard, solid rules. I can't give you a formula that says "for this and that upgrades, increase to a XXX size jet". However, it is only intimidating the first time. Changing a jet is really simple, and these guys can probably give you a safe starting point.

Conwaymx
09-28-2005, 08:04 AM
I been doing some research on cams and web cams
www.webcamshafts.com has 3 different cam for my machine.
stage one ,2 and 3. i think i'm gonna go with the
stage 2 or 3 because they are all the same price and
the core charge is $80. Do yall think this is too hot a cam
for a utility?:confused: I am also getting a jet kit today and I am pretty confident on installing it. your help is gratly appreciated:D

EVOLUTIONracing
09-28-2005, 09:44 AM
To be safe I would have a shop do your work if you are not 100% sure what you are doing. We are based out of Texas I would normally charge about $100 or so to put a cam in. It is completely worth it to spend the money and have it done right.

wilkin250r
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by EVOLUTIONracing
To be safe I would have a shop do your work if you are not 100% sure what you are doing. We are based out of Texas I would normally charge about $100 or so to put a cam in. It is completely worth it to spend the money and have it done right.

I just want to warn you about advertising. Have you spoken with the Administrator?

Now, I realize that you are not saying "Hey, come down to my shop, and I'll install it for XXXX dollars!!!". Your advice is sound, and highly appreciated.

But simply because you ARE a shop, and have posted a dollar amount, you are walking a fine line.

We have several shop owners on here, there is no rule that says you are not allowed to be here. In fact, we welcome shop owners and the advice and expertise they can give.

However, you are not allowed to discuss prices or advertise your business out in the open. If a person asks you for a specific service or dollar amount, all business-related discussion must take place in private messages.

With that being said, let me welcome you to the site, and at the same time thank you for your terrific advice. Very true, if you're not 100% sure, leave it to an experienced proffessional.

Conwaymx
09-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys, but what about the stages of cams?
If I get a stage 2 or 3 cam I know I will have to buy different valve springs will I have to switch to race gas?
The Engine is stock except for Jet kit, K@N filter and
fmf pipe

wilkin250r
09-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Race gas is only needed with high compression, the camshaft will not increase compression at all. So no, stage 2 or stage 3 camshaft will not need race gas.

This is the point that you really need to talk with a professional. You may need to get the valves lapped if you are removing them to replace valve springs.

400exstud
09-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Evolution racing? You guys were up here are Crandon a couple of weeks ago weren't you?

Conwaymx
09-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks fellers. Anything else I need to know?

EVOLUTIONracing
09-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I just want to warn you about advertising. Have you spoken with the Administrator?

Now, I realize that you are not saying "Hey, come down to my shop, and I'll install it for XXXX dollars!!!". Your advice is sound, and highly appreciated.

But simply because you ARE a shop, and have posted a dollar amount, you are walking a fine line.

We have several shop owners on here, there is no rule that says you are not allowed to be here. In fact, we welcome shop owners and the advice and expertise they can give.

However, you are not allowed to discuss prices or advertise your business out in the open. If a person asks you for a specific service or dollar amount, all business-related discussion must take place in private messages.

With that being said, let me welcome you to the site, and at the same time thank you for your terrific advice. Very true, if you're not 100% sure, leave it to an experienced proffessional.

Thank you for the information. I will talk to the admins about advertising but I was just saying from my experience I would take my bike to a shop if I'm not 100% sure how to fix it. I was not advertising I was simply stating that IF he were to take it to a shop, that is around how much they would charge but I completely understand what you are saying.

Conwaymx
09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
So if i deside to bore my engine say, 0.020 over and keep stock
compression (all I could find) I will not have to use race gas?

fasterthanyouex
09-30-2005, 07:32 PM
correct you can run without race fuel.