PDA

View Full Version : Sputtering

JForestZ34
09-20-2005, 05:07 AM
Hey guys maybe you can help me with this one because I can't understand it. First off I took a ride on Sunday. This is the first ride in about 2 months. Well anyway I start up my 04 400ex and it starts up fine and idles good. I check the oil after a little bit of a warm up and everything is good. So I go out for a ride. I would say I was out for about an hr. It was an mid 80s day. I've riden in this heat before and the bike was fine. Well after about an hr of riding when I would stay at a steady throttle close to like 1/4 throttle if would start to sputter and misfire. When I looked behind me there was some blue smoke. There was still plenty of power and when I stopped it would still idle great, and when I would rev it it reved good but just a faint glimpse of blue smoke. Could it be something is gunked up in the carb from not riding it in 2 months? Could I have knocked something loose in the carb? The blue smoke tends me to believe that it could be burning oil now like a ring or something is letting go? I would only do it sometimes at that throttle setting not all the time, that's what making me think it's something in the carb. Am I wrong? Should I take the plug out and see if it has any wet oil on it to see if it's burning oil? Any help would be great. This quad only have about 50 hrs on it. This is my 3rd oil changed so it's not like it's not taken care of. It's just funny one minute it would be okay then the next it's running like crap.

Thanks,

James

Conwaymx
09-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Have you started it before you rode it last, or has it sat 4
2 months and not been started?

JForestZ34
09-20-2005, 10:02 AM
No it sat for about that 2 month period without starting. Just been busy. When I get home from work I'm going to pull the plug and tae a look. do you think I could just be something of a maintenance issue?

James

Conwaymx
09-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Hope so. I used to have a TRX200 fourtrax that did the exact same thing. The Rings were froze up in it:( Just ride it and keep a eye on the oil level. if it is losing oil them your rings are probally froze up. You should definatley chck your plug.

JForestZ34
09-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Well I just got back from a ride about an hour ago. It ran fine. Still when you rev it, there was still alittle bit of blue smoke when I really reved it. I took the plug out and it had the normal little bit of carbon on it so I don't think it's really burning alot of oil if any. Usally the plug with have oil on it when you look at it right? But when I rode it today it didn't sputter at all so to me it seems like an intermittant problem. I hope it's not the rings, I really don't feel like ripping it apart to change them. Well I can look at it this way winter coming up so it will give me something to do.

James

Conwaymx
09-23-2005, 08:06 AM
well, I think you ok because my 200 used to smoke like a big rig diesel as soon as you'd start it up. You probally just got a little carbon build up.

09-23-2005, 07:01 PM
I am no hero, but I would try moving your needle ( carb needle) up one clip. making acceleration a little leaner. but again I am no hero.