PDA

View Full Version : Holy ???? Ebay gets expensive (RANT)

tdsongster
09-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Man, I am listing my inventory on Ebay and geeeez the 10 million little fees add up!!!

Ralph
09-19-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah it used to be like nothing

09-19-2005, 09:46 PM
yah i stopped selling **** on there because it's so expensive. The Final value fees are INSANE...it's like $1 for every $10 I think or something which adds up to alot if you sell alot of stuff

tdsongster
09-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
yah i stopped selling **** on there because it's so expensive. The Final value fees are INSANE...it's like $1 for every $10 I think or something which adds up to alot if you sell alot of stuff

What were you selling?

tater_kamik
09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
he isnt kidding! ebay is making a killing, then add paypal charges on top of that! i used to sell audio equipment on there and i will not do it again even though there are a lot of people that make a lot of money doing it...

09-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
What were you selling? stuff my dad got from his work

honda350r
09-19-2005, 10:06 PM
It cost me just under 10 buck to sell a item for 79.95 with buy it now and being paid with PayPal.. I agree fees are high but a good bang for the buck !!

MWB BigMike
09-20-2005, 04:32 AM
cant have a buy it now thats what gets expensive . Start your ausctions at .99 this will keep your fees way down

09-20-2005, 05:11 AM
There's a few new auction sites starting up now, I cant remember the names but Ive seen a few commercials.

tdsongster
09-20-2005, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by honda350r
It cost me just under 10 buck to sell a item for 79.95 with buy it now and being paid with PayPal.. I agree fees are high but a good bang for the buck !!

$10 tell sell an $80 item. That is over 10% in fees. That is VERY expensive dude.

09-20-2005, 11:59 AM
$10 tell sell an $80 item. That is over 10% in fees. That is VERY expensive dude. thats how it is though. Thats with ALL the fees if you use paypal and stuff.

DVXchic
09-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I sell stuff on ebay all the time, yes its expensive but where else can you get the exposure that comes from there.
We sold the ktm mini, it never met its reserve on the auction but a guy from Tennessee ended up buying it after the auction. It only cost me $50.
Selling a Jet boat on there right now, and some 4x4 tires and whatever else people ask me to sell.
I do well with it, and yes you have to start the bidding low and the people will bid more.

I'm layed off from work and have nothing better to do anyway.:macho

honda350r
09-20-2005, 12:34 PM
$10 tell sell an $80 item. That is over 10% in fees. That is VERY expensive dude.

Dude:huh how do you figure expensive????? Tell me how much it cost to have the product sitting on a shelf in a business?

Rent
phone
electricity
advertising
taxes
employees

10% is a drop in the bucket !

tdsongster
09-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Selling on Ebay forces me to raise my prices. I can not afford to sell at a loss. For instance I would much rather let Tips & Tricks go for $22.95 on ATVRiders then 25.95 on Ebay.

CdaleXtreme
09-21-2005, 11:48 AM
I do quite a bit of Ebay selling, and on ebay motors. Parts and acessories, factor about an 8% loss on everything you sell.

Then if they pay you paypal its 2% from there as well.

So if a paypal payment is completed on an ebay purchase, you are losing 10%. Ohh and did I mention Paypal is owned by EBAY so they get the full 10% off of everything you sell!

General markup on most "manufacturer to retailer" products is 20%....

Factor in the Ebay discount whores that discount at least 10%. They wont be in business more than a year because they are selling less than true cost, and you get a market that is very limited and tough to make money off of. Cuz' there is always another jack@s$ that thinks he can go bigtime on EBAY, by setting up dealerships and discounting on ebay.

The only long lasting seller I have seen is "Motomahimahi" I dont know how he makes any money, but He does sell his stuff cheap!

Pappy
09-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
Dude:huh how do you figure expensive????? Tell me how much it cost to have the product sitting on a shelf in a business?

Rent
phone
electricity
advertising
taxes
employees

10% is a drop in the bucket !

exatctly. i have a business account on ebay and pay close attention to listings. smart business is good business

tdsongster
09-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
exatctly. i have a business account on ebay and pay close attention to listings. smart business is good business

I guess that was the point that I was trying to make. You already have a lot of expenses, adding 10% to that doesn't help. Especially since ebay used to cost next to nothing.

tater_kamik
09-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

hey pappy, whats your name on ebay?

eldercycle
09-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Ebay has made retail prices on atv/motercycle parts a thing of the past, for rider's this makes over priced parts alittle easier to pay for. For dealer's like me it is a nightmare, I sell new items sell for just a fraction higher than what I get them for. This make me sick, and I do not sale new retail on ebay inless I am trying just to get my money back out of it. And I still usally lose money some way after all the fee's. Used items are the only thing I have found reasonable to sell.

Pappy
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
alot of companies (not just atv related) have been dumping thier second's on ebay. if ya dont mind a scratch here or a ding there its ok. i had a few complaints about used parts last year, they were listed as used etc. one was a chrome stem that the buyer complained had the chrome wore off in a few areas. i haggled a bit but ended up buying back the stem. the only areas that were wore off were the bushing area and the tie rod end mount area that will wear off a new stem in 1 good ride:p oh well, i dont do much on thier now simply because of teh headaches, but its a fast way to turn some junk into cash if ya need it.