PDA

View Full Version : 450r rear elka linkage

bigcountry
09-19-2005, 08:16 PM
what exactly does it do. i hear the stock R is a little tippy and wheely happy. does this linkage lower it and make it more stable. i am considering buying an R and was wanting something i can spin around on the trails easily and handle the track well too.

also how tall is first gear

09-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by bigcountry
what exactly does it do. i hear the stock R is a little tippy and wheely happy. does this linkage lower it and make it more stable. i am considering buying an R and was wanting something i can spin around on the trails easily and handle the track well too.

also how tall is first gear

the elka linkage makes the quad sit lower, and adds travel, along with fixing the shock angle, which in turn makes it more stable, you can spin and handle it easily

first gear feals like 2nd gear on a 400ex, i dropped the sprocket on mine down to 13 and it feels just like normal :macho

jdwxv3
09-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Yurkin, you going to race Park Hills?

09-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by jdwxv3
Yurkin, you going to race Park Hills?

yurik* and no, its too far for us, i wish i could make it but i wont be able to, im looking forward to the B class next year tho :macho

jdwxv3
09-19-2005, 08:59 PM
I see. Sorry about the name, lol

As far as the linkage goes, I would just get the single linkage. I have the dual pro linkage and it is beat to hell with only 2 races on it, it hangs down way way to low in my opinion.

86atc250r
09-20-2005, 04:13 PM
The angle the shock sits at has nothing to do with anything.

Replacement linkages usually do two things.

1.) They move the travel in the chassis.

2.) They change the leverage ratio and curve, which can affect the travel the shock provides.

Some linkages allow for the use of longer shocks as well.

While the shock angle may be altered, that has absolutely nothing to do with shock action.

There are two main problems with the 450R rear end.

1.) A short shock that requires a high leverage ratio to provide adequate travel

2.) Bottommed out and Extended frame heights not optimal.

desratt
09-20-2005, 07:05 PM
you wouldn't get it to make your quad lower you just do that with your preload.

I use the linkage.
you need a shock built for that shock curve.. how ever I had works do my shock. they have all the info in my folder at their factory.