PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question

Honda#4
09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
what's the best exhaust under $300 with SA or without that u dont have to rejet, for 03 400ex

tom69
09-19-2005, 08:43 PM
probably a fmf but you should look at reviews and stuff for differnt exhausr

MadMan400ex
09-20-2005, 02:07 PM
if you don't want to rejet and you want a spark arrester, keep the stock pipe on and save the $300. if you are looking for the easiest way to make more noise, yell at the top of your lungs whenever you ride. lol. all kidding aside, it sounds like you want to keep your quad reliable and you are not very confident in your mechanical skills (jetting a carb is one of the easiest things to do). save your money and take comfort in the fact that you bought a quad from the company with the largest r&d department and the smartest technicians in the world. i installed a full system exhaust, jetted the carb perfectly, and it is harder to start and hates to idle when i first start it up.

anyway, to answer your original question, there are many slip-ons out there for around $300 but i believe that all of them highly recommend a jetting change. if you are die hard set on an exhaust change, any dealer or shop will jet the carb for you for a low labor cost (only listed in labor books as a half hour job.) or talk to friends. somebody has to know someone who knows how to jet a carb.

Honda#4
09-20-2005, 06:23 PM
thanks, i have it narrowed down to these, a white bros e series or dg oval lite or a dg krome power,supertrapp maybe fmf not to sure though, give me some advice about these pipes good or not.

blastereatin250
09-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't get dg. You only hear bad about them.

redlineranger
09-20-2005, 07:43 PM
i wouldnt reccomen DG either there down right terrible..... i reccomend a full hmf or full pro circuit t4.... sadly there both way over 300 dollars, but worth it

MNTNMAN
09-21-2005, 08:27 AM
I am confused.

The whole purpose of exhaust is to allow more air flow so you can add more fuel. If you don't add more fuel (re-jet) then the exhaust you just paid $$$$ for is wasted.

Honda#4
09-21-2005, 09:17 AM
thanks for telling me about dg pipes, i found some more that im interested in megamax,moose,two brothers,e2,mx4,supertrapp, and just to like u guys know i need something tunable to sound dad dont really like loud stuff

hondarider2006
09-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Your not going to find a good complete exhaust under $300. Your best bet is to give C&D racing a call and order yourself a HMF slip-on with the spark arrestor. You should be able to get it shipped for under $300, and I am sure they will throw in the jets also for a few more $. It doesn't matter what brand of exhaust you decide to purchase and run on your bike, you WILL need to re-jet for power gains. Increasing the flow will do nothing if it doesn't have enough fuel. I believe the stock jet in a 400 is a 148. Try going up to a 150-155 main jet if your only Mod is a slip-on. That should get you in the ball park. You man also want to bump up your pilot jet as well to a 42, so you don't have to go so many turns out on the air/fule mixture screw.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19832

Check out that link if you need help re-jetting:cool:

Honda#4
09-21-2005, 06:00 PM
im still kind of scared to do this because i dont want to screw up, i think i would just let my honda dealer do it for whatever it costs i dont really care.

hondarider2006
09-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Your going to have to learn sooner or later....just keep asking question on here and you shouldn't have any problems. Really, if you follow the directions I gave you in that link, you shouldn't have any problems. The way that they do it breaks it down step by step, and is sooo easy. Trust me man, you shouldn't have any problems...

Honda#4
09-22-2005, 07:59 AM
well i am good at taking stuff apart and then putting it back together again, its just when u look at it for the first time it looks so confusing but i guess if u do it enough its easy. another thing that link u gave me is that a guide to put a powerlid on or to put the jets in or both.

hondarider2006
09-22-2005, 11:34 PM
That link shows you how to install a "K&N PowerKIT" not lid:) which is rejetting...The difference is, it comes with an assortment of jets, and a new needle. I purchased the Dynojet kit...and could never get it right. Ended up putting the stock needle back in, and purchasing stock type jets from C&D. This seemed to work MUCH better than the aftermarket kit did. But again, its the same idea...just not a powerkit.

400exrider707
09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by MadMan400ex
. i installed a full system exhaust, jetted the carb perfectly, and it is harder to start and hates to idle when i first start it up.

That doesn't sound like its jetted perfectly. It should be eaiser to start and idle fine. Did you do plug chops, or did you just check to see if it was brown at WOT?