PDA

View Full Version : TRX450R realilability

key4202003
09-19-2005, 06:22 PM
i am not too learned on the crf 450 engine.:p so my question is that do these engines (CRF TRX) 450s motors wear out really fast?? 6months racing 1 year then new top end (valves piston ext...) the reason why i ask is that wen i went into honda they said reialibilty was reduced because of the heat generated by the stroker and so on bla bla bla. could you please shine some light on this subject. thanks josh

09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
I would run mine a lot longer than that.

bwamos
09-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by key4202003
i am not too learned on the crf 450 engine.:p so my question is that do these engines (CRF TRX) 450s motors wear out really fast?? 6months racing 1 year then new top end (valves piston ext...) the reason why i ask is that wen i went into honda they said reialibilty was reduced because of the heat generated by the stroker and so on bla bla bla. could you please shine some light on this subject. thanks josh

I'm not a 450 expert.. but being that it is water cooled, I'd imagine that it runs cooler than a 440ex would.

However any high performance motor is going to wear faster than a low performance one. Simply because more energy is being converted to mechanical energy than lost as heat compared to a 300ex for example.

6 months of racing? It doesn't matter what you race. If you really do race you always perform a winter inspection / rebuild. Wether it be a Blaster, or a 450r.

By the way, the 06 now has the same stroke and bore as the CRF dirtbike.

Basically a rebuild of the top end is not necessary each winter.. but a good inspection is, it's usually best to inspect the tranny as well. However, if you don't "race" and just recreational ride you should be good for many years.

What quad do you race now? I doubt your gonna see a whole lot of longevity change. It's pretty much your standard high performance maintenance cycle.