PDA

View Full Version : what voids the warrenty?

T-MAC 450R
09-19-2005, 03:22 PM
does pistons, cams and pipes void warrnetys?

turboTony
09-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Everything tht is not made by Honda and not installed by a Honda dealer will void warranty. Even a HRC kit that was installed by anyone but a certified Honda mechanic will void the warranty.

T-MAC 450R
09-19-2005, 04:37 PM
thats gay

400EXBill
09-19-2005, 05:42 PM
I was told by the Honda dealership that anything aftermarket put on to change the performance, voided the warranty. He told me if Honda felt it should be on there, Honda would've put it on with a warranty.

quad9
09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
when i got my 05 they told me i can do exhaust, jetting, filter, gearing. just cannot open the motor, even a hrc cam will void it. so it looks like i wait till december to do any motor work. mabey santa will bring me a new cam if i'am a good boy??

09-19-2005, 07:45 PM
nowadays pretty much starting the bike voids the warrenty, either that or rolling it off the showroom floor, dealers are losing a lot of money by giving warrentys with bikes, especially when they mess up, they want to make it impossible for u to have a "free" warrenty so they dont have to fix anything

09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by quad9
when i got my 05 they told me i can do exhaust, jetting, filter, gearing. just cannot open the motor, even a hrc cam will void it. so it looks like i wait till december to do any motor work. mabey santa will bring me a new cam if i'am a good boy??

the hrc cam wont void the warrenty if the dealership installs it for u, but if u install it then it voids the warrenty

400exrider707
09-20-2005, 01:49 PM
The second it touches a race track it is voided as well!

quad9
09-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
The second it touches a race track it is voided as well!

well i guess i'am done then.

86atc250r
09-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Everything tht is not made by Honda and not installed by a Honda dealer will void warranty. Even a HRC kit that was installed by anyone but a certified Honda mechanic will void the warranty.

No, this is bad info.

In fact, every post here is bad info.

Dealers don't lose money by "giving away warranties" - they are paid by the manufacturer to do warranty work. The only thing they stand to lose is maybe a lower labor rate since the manufacturer gives them what they give them & if they're charging you, they can charge what they like.

Know your rights.

Aftermarket parts do not void your warranty. The only way the warranty can be voided is if the dealer/manufacturer can prove that the parts caused the problem you're trying to get warrantied.

There are federal laws in place that protect your warranty rights. Look up the Magnunson-Moss Warranty Act for an eye opener.

T-MAC 450R
09-20-2005, 06:16 PM
can i call my dealer up and say im gonna do mods to my quad and what can i do?

Trx450always
09-20-2005, 08:31 PM
thtas right gabe, tell em! lol
I'm going for a piston this fall and I DO NOT think it will void the warrenty. but I could be wrong.

duke416ex
09-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Every dealer I have talked to says if I install an hrc kit myself it will void the warranty. Can anyone give me something to prove them wrong?

86atc250r
09-21-2005, 07:50 AM
There are federal laws in place that protect your warranty rights. Look up the Magnunson-Moss Warranty Act for an eye opener.

OKTRX450R
09-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Gabe (86ATC250R) is exaclty right...the onus is on the dealership to prove the installation or installed part caused the failure...even then, if proved, only that particular part is void not the entire warranty.

Like he said LOOK UP THE MAGNUNSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT!

Know your rights...of course they say it will, you will not educate yourself and they can install the HRC kit for you and make a killing!

duke416ex
09-21-2005, 01:08 PM
What was the name of that act again, I thought I would look it up? Just kidding, I read it and it had some interesting stuff in it. I still kinda feel like Honda would just take a easy way out and blame it on something that wasn't their fault, like saying I put a cam it which caused the failure and it wasn't a factory defect. I went to Honda site to read more about the warranty and it seemed as though they had a way around stuff, even if it isn't totally legal. I will say something to the service guy at the local shop when I go back just to see what he says. I am wanting a cam, but I think I want something besides an hrc but they talk like anything else would void warranty.